• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Poor Tank :sorrow: Rest in peace, you will be missed. I hope they learn something from his treatment and a necropsy.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I wonder if they find any sort of trauma she will disclose that after the autopsy.

@Hankmacaw your take on it seems to make sense.

I sorta doubt that she would reveal if there was trauma. There are so many people who rant and rave about wanting to do something violent to the prior owners that it would be non-productive. I'm sure if there was evidence of physical abuse the prior owners will get an earful from Dr. Burge.

When Hank died and we did a necropsy on him, Dr. Driggers said that Hank had made him into a much better veterinarian. So Hank left a legacy, just as Tank has left a legacy. I'm sure that your vet has learned from Bea, Jamie and Lucky.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:sorrow:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Everything was done for him that could be done, Tank passed away with staff that had his best interests at heart and cared for him deeply even if they did not know him well. Wings high over Rainbow Bridge, Tank, no matter how sad it makes those humans who remain behind.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Hankmacaw , Dr. Driggers is amazing. My retired vet Dr. Funk had him as an intern back in the day, and Dr. Funk said he was wise beyond his years, they worked together for a while. DR. Funk always had good things to say about Dr. Driggers, the two of them actually worked together to help me save 4 neglected cockatiels that I " confinscated" from a hotel aviary.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

I sorta doubt that she would reveal if there was trauma. There are so many people who rant and rave about wanting to do something violent to the prior owners that it would be non-productive. I'm sure if there was evidence of physical abuse the prior owners will get an earful from Dr. Burge.

When Hank died and we did a necropsy on him, Dr. Driggers said that Hank had made him into a much better veterinarian. So Hank left a legacy, just as Tank has left a legacy. I'm sure that your vet has learned from Bea, Jamie and Lucky.
I get where you are coming from but if there were trama I'd like to see someone held responsible... But the fact there are two carers makes things complicated... There's more to say but we are not supposed to speculate....so I won't. I just hope it was truly something that wasn't malicious that cause this

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
get where you are coming from but if there were trama I'd like to see someone held responsible... But the fact there are two carers makes things complicated... There's more to say but we are not supposed to speculate....so I won't. I just hope it was truly something that wasn't malicious that cause this
What comes around goes around... Rest in peace Tank :sorrow:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:sorrow:

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Rest sweet Babe! :sorrow:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
They updated with the results of the pathology report.

"Tank the Macaw Final Update: the pathology report indicates that the most likely cause of Tank's brain damage was migrating parasite larva following exposure to raccoon feces. We don't know all of Tank's history, and don't know if this exposure could have taken place months or even years ago in a previous home. There was no way to definitely diagnose this condition in a live bird, and there is no effective treatment.

From an avian medicine textbook: Baylisascaris procyonis - The common raccoon ascarid is known to cause life-threatening visceral, cerebral and ocular larva migrans in birds in North
America. Infected asymptomatic raccoons can harbor
a large number of worms and shed large numbers of
infective eggs into the environment. Affected birds can
develop ataxia and dysmetria that progresses to inability
to stand, with severe torticollis and a head tilt."

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How sad. A very rare disease (a similar disease can be contracted from opossums). The Dr. and Tank never had a chance, but Tank did have love and comfort for the last few days of his life.

Fly high and free without illness, Tank.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well they gave him the best treatment and love they could and he knew he was safe and loved. Nothing else could be done and it's now apparent they made all the right calls and poor Tank is no longer suffering. :sadhug:

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Tank did the best thing a suffering being can do. He kept a positive attitude towards life until life was done. Could any human do any better? When I hear someone or something is " actively dying", it makes me cringe. We are all basically dying from the moment we are conceived... but IMO, until you ARE DEAD, you are living! Tank knew this, we used to know it. We have forgotten how to just be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.