• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wonder if Tank will survive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Oh no!! What a horrible set back!! He'll be is my thoughts and prayers

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will not post the latest update and video, but he is worse today. :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is yesterday - Thursday's update.
Tank had a few mild seizures during the day and his red count has gone down and his liver enzymes have gone up. Not good news, but not devastating nor unexpected. A very ill bird will go through ups and downs and either survive or not. The very best I and everyone else can do is to keep rooting for Tank.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Poor baby. In yesterday's video he looks so tired. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
@Hankmacaw does his face look swollen or is it just the angle of the camera combined with how he is lying.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Hankmacaw does his face look swollen or is it just the angle of the camera combined with how he is lying.

I don't notice any swelling in his face, but if you look at the first seconds of the video, when his eyes are still open, you will note that his eye is wandering. This is common after a bird has had a seizure and indicates that there is still some unusual activity in his brain. After Hank had his most serious seizure, his right eye rolled around in it's socket uncontrolled for maybe an hour. My vet told me that that indicated there was still unusual activity in the brain and that the seizure had occurred on the Left side of his brain. Remember the cross over with brain control. We were able to stop his seizures easily by feeding him immediately when he awoke in the morning, since they were caused by low blood sugar. He was in the process of dying and did die about 6 weeks later, but no more seizures. Many many seizures are idiopathic which means the cause is not determinable.

Seizures do make the bird feel pretty bad for quite awhile, but if the seizures are not repeating they pull out of the feeling bad. We don't know how strong nor haw many seizures Tank had, so we can't judge by looking how sick he is.

Just keep pulling for him.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I hope Hank makes it:heart: I Will pray for this little boy as well:grouphug:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Thanks. I understand about seizures. I just thought his face looked a little swollen but not having a large macaw I ).

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Poor lil guy ..sending prayers :hug8::hug8::hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to read that he has gotten worse. Sending positive thoughts for Tank.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Today's Tank update. No more seizure activity. Lead, Zinc and ABV tests came back negative.

"Tank update Friday the 13th: Physical therapy session at Burge Bird Rescue. Tank looks pretty normal in this photo, but the only time he is upright is when he is held up in this position. We have seen no more twitching or seizure activity since yesterday's episodes. The lead, zinc, and Bornavirus tests all came back negative. We are waiting on results of a West Nile Virus test, although it is very unlikely to be the problem. The cause of his illness continues to be a mystery, and we are still working on scheduling an MRI. We really appreciate everyone's support, because we couldn't provide everything Tank needs without you!

The number of emails, private messages, and comments on our posts is just overwhelming, mostly in a good way, and we will no longer be able to respond to most of them. However, we would like to ask that you refrain from telling us what to feed him, what home remedies to give him, the name of the vet who you think could somehow diagnose him over the internet, or reminders to post updates, which are posted once daily. We also request that there be no further discussion about neglect or anyone being arrested. Let's keep this positive by posting about how many and what kinds of birds you have! "

#TeamTank

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
This is yesterday - Thursday's update.
Tank had a few mild seizures during the day and his red count has gone down and his liver enzymes have gone up. Not good news, but not devastating nor unexpected. A very ill bird will go through ups and downs and either survive or not. The very best I and everyone else can do is to keep rooting for Tank.

Thank you for restoring hope.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Hoping he pulls through and continues to get better, at least he evened out today so he could rest and get back to doing the best he can.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I look at his feathers and they tell me that he is not feeling fine.
Poor thing , this is hard to handle , if he makes it through this, I hope he has some quality of life. :sad1:
That is my only concern at the moment.
And I hope that I have wrong with saying that I don't can see that he is struggling for survival anymore.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I look at his feathers and they tell me that he is not feeling fine.

That is my only concern at the moment.
And I hope that I have wrong with saying that I don't can see that he is struggling for survival anymore.
I'm not religious but I pray to God, St. Francis and St. Jude that they try to take this bird into their care.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have some questions that popped up with the video Mary Lynn posted.

Why are they feeding him 5-7xs a day?
How watery is that formula?
How many CC's per feeding?

Tube feeding adult birds isn't that difficult with a bird that is ill. He really should be gaining weight unless the formula is watery or they're not giving him enough per feeding. Unless he has a disease that prevent digestion and absorption of nutrients.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Sadly they are not accepting any advice about his care. Because she says that she is an avian veterinarian.
I can understand that they do have great knowledge themselves and that many people are guessing about treatments, but no person in the world knows everything.
He really should be gaining weight
For what I understand he can't swallow well.

Status
Not open for further replies.