• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent i cant believe im making this thread

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Now that kiwi is getting better maybe you can take the time to look around for any other things that may harm her. Such as hot things or windows and mirrors she may crash into. Also,when you have her out make sure no one will open the door and let the cat or dog slip in. They will surely be looking for another chance to get her. Maybe loCk your door or put up a sign not to open without knocking. I'm so glad it seems she recovering. I, and I'm sure everyone else , were worrying with you. Were here to help when you need us.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Oh man oh man, reading this thread was like reading a thriller book that kept me on the edge!! I'm super duper happy that Kiwi is starting to turn up, but as all of us parronts had recommended, I would definitely take her to a good avian vet and establish yourself as a patient there. I live in Hawaii and I have one main avian vet and one secondary. Dr. Kondo is mostly retired and he's only available on certain days and when I brought NB home I knew he needed immediate vet examination so I was able to get him in with Dr. Ching. Just because I'm so scared and avian vets are also scarce on Oahu too. So maybe you can have a primary and secondary if your mother would be okay with that...
Especially because good avian vets are very hard to find......

I'm also very glad that you have a lock on Kiwi's cage from your sister... And it was also great to read that your mother was also understanding that Kiwi is also apart of the family and let you stay home from school to care for her!

Thank you so much for being a great dad to Kiwi!! :hug8:

PS: Please keep us posted on her progress!! :heart:

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
I just read this whole thing and boy am I happy that Kiwi is okay. I have a similar bird (Grumio, my dove) in the fact that he is always getting into accidents, and I understand how stressful it is when your feather babies aren't okay.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How about you give the new real Avian vet a call tomorrow and explain what happened and ask them to check with the vet if Kiwi needs antibiotics.
Don’t settle for a front desk or even a tech opinion. They may have to wait to catch the vet when she or he is out of an exam room and call you back.
If they want to see her, take her in. I know you might meet with resistance but we have faith in you.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
She is continuing to get better! She's still quite weak and tired, but that's expected. She went poo three times today, and it looked normal. She also ate breakfast eagerly.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
Very bad news. She went straight downhill and can barely stand. I don't think she's long for this world. Something is wrong deep in her neck. She can't lift her head, and she won't eat or drink.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
Would the stress be too much for her right now? She's barely clinging to life

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know, but I do know she'll die unless you get her immediate treatment. It may be too late, but if it isn't, wouldn't you want to do everything you could?

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
I can't. It's across the city and my mom doesn't want to take her. When we first took her, they said it would take a couple weeks for her to recover, but they said bring her back in if anything abnormal happens. This is clearly abnormal, but my mom is sticking to the 'wait a week.' My dad is out of town and I have no one to take me. I will try to convince her to call, and if they say bring her in, we will.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you show her this thread? You have multiple very experienced bird owners telling you that she is going to die if you don't take her immediately.