• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent i cant believe im making this thread

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
couple of things. great on getting her to vet! they may prescribe anitbiotics without her having to go back in, better if she goes, but it sounds like your mom doesn't like the vet trips? maybe the expense?
and great on getting the lock. Maybe your mom should have your sister "work off" the vet bill, get extra cpres as punishment? And great on getting the lock! the most important thing is to make sure your bird gets vet care. And great on getting the bird all the vet care you can! excellent parronting!

If she had to pry the bird out of the cat's mouth I am confused with how there are no wounds of saliva, it would seem that antibiotics would be an automatic...

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
we're at the vet. they took her back to the incubator instantly. now its up the the vets. thank you all

I’m so glad you got her to the vet, i wish you and kiwi the best of luck and that she gets much better soon.
:angel1:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Is it possible that they gave her a shot of antibiotics behind the scene?

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
They did not give her any antibiotics. I'll call later. Kiwi is still sitting with her head drooping. I gave her some water

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
They did not give her any antibiotics. I'll call later. Kiwi is still sitting with her head drooping. I gave her some water
Do you have some pellets you can grind up in a clean grinder, no coffee or spice traces? She might accept a 1cc syringe. Or she needs to be tube fed. Don’t wait, call the vet now. This is an emergency.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
The vet said antibiotics are an absolute no rignt now. My mom won't bring her back in. The vet said her behaviour is normal for what happened. All I can do now is hope, and keep hand feeding her

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would ask the vet why he is not prescribing antibiotics. Bird in mouth of cat = saliva = bacteria, etc. Bird being scratched by cat, same thing.
If she is not eating or drinking and you are not getting enough into her via handfeeding she will need to be gavaged/tube fed.
It's very important to make sure she does not dehydrate. Does she like veggies or fruit? You can mash those up or give her small pieces. They are a water source as well as a food source. You may need to go out and buy some handfeeding formula such as Exact.
Sending positive thoughts for Kiwi.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
The vet said antibiotics are an absolute no rignt now. My mom won't bring her back in. The vet said her behaviour is normal for what happened. All I can do now is hope, and keep hand feeding her
Are you sure this was an avian vet? I feel like any vet qualified to treat birds would know the importance of antibiotics in this situation...

After reading this whole threat, I have to say that I feel so angry on your behalf. You are trying to do the right thing, and your family does not seem to be respecting you at all. I can't imagine why your mom would let this little being who you clearly love just suffer. I don't understand why your sister thinks it is acceptable to put your bird at risk like this. I'm appealed that the vet is naive enough to fail to give you antibiotics. I hate that you and Kiwi have to rely on people who don't understand.

I know you must feel somewhat helpless right now, but because Kiwi is ultimately your responsibility, you need to take action. Do you have any allowance or birthday money saved up? Do you have to a lock to put on Kiwi's door to keep her safe?

I hope with all my heart that Kiwi pulls through. And, as much as I hate saying this, if she sadly does not make it, then I don't think you should consider getting another bird until you can financially support the bird on your own.

I am so, so sorry you are going through this. I will be praying for you and for Kiwi. Please keep us updated.

I wish there was more I could do for you and Kiwi. I would drive you and Kiwi to the best vet in the area and pay for it out of my own pocket if I could.
Please keep us posted!

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
The best avian vet in the area won't see us because there's a 4 year long waiting list. My mom isn't convinced she's actually hurt, but she said she'll take her back to the vet on Friday. I'm worried sick. Kiwi is still hanging her head and is all limp. It's very odd because we have other pets and my mom has never hestated for vet care for them. I have 230 dollars saved up, idk if that will pay for her visit. Can someone explain the head hanging and the being fluffed up?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's scared and upset. She may have an infection. She could have internal injuries. I wouldn't wait until Friday. A 4 year waiting list. I would give them a call again and let them know it's an emergency. 4 year waiting list would mean many birds would not be seen in a timely manner. That's weird. If you let us know your approximate location maybe members can recommend some vets to you.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
We called and they still won't take us. Kiwi weakly drank some water and crawled into my shirt, where she's now resting. She's slowly nibbling some pear too.

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
To clarify, it's a waiting list for new patients. The already going patients don't have to wait. :mad2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We called and they still won't take us. Kiwi weakly drank some water and crawled into my shirt, where she's now resting. She's slowly nibbling some pear too.

At least she eating and drinking something.
Does the avian vet only come in a few times a year? Having to wait 4 years is just crazy even for a new patient and if it's an emergency that is extremely sad.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I wish things were better ,but at least she has you to cuddle with. It's good she is eating and drinking a little. Like the others I can't imagine why your vet wouldn't give her antibiotics. Keep trying. You're all she's got right now.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok, I can't stay out of this anymore..that baby NEEDS baytril! Vet is an @$$ by not giving it to you..It's best to be safe, than sorry. Metacam will help with inflammation and pain, but will not help with infection. Your bird was seriously hurt, your parents should respect that this bird is your baby and help you. Your sister needs a " reality" check..a good thump in the head, in my opinion. Get that cage locked up like a safe, refuse to give anyone the key, keep the dog and cat far far away. Beg, cry, plead,,,get Kiwi antibiotics..find a new vet ..How would the household respond if the dog or cat got injured? A bird is just as important..I feel bad for you and Kiwi..keep her warm, hydrated and get her to eat anything you can. If I was there, I would help help you..Im so sorry honey...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You must not be in the US or your parent is lying to you about the vet work and the "waiting list". I'm sorry you have to go through this. The head hanging means she is very sick and it's a typical behavior indicating nervous system falling apart. I am so sorry for you and your bird. Without immediate real vet help she will die. I am sorry :(

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Maybe if you tell us your approximate location (state or province if you're in Canada) we can help find a suitable avain vet for Kiwi.
4 years waiting list sounds really weird, I've never been put on a waiting list for any vet before nor have I heard of a waiting list