• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Worried about my CAG

Snuby

Moving in
Hi everyone, I've read this forum for quite some time but these past few days have rough and I'd like to seek some advice.

My congo african gray, Echo, hasn’t been doing so well lately. I rushed him to a vet yesterday and they took blood and fecal samples for lab tests, and the vet suspects he may have some sort of infection as his breathing sounded "a bit crackly". We are to give him antibiotics and probiotics for now until we know his results in a couple of days.

I’m just incredibly anxious and scared, as I already lost my jenday conure suddenly last year and I don’t want to lose him too.

He’s stopped talking for the past couple of weeks except for a couple of words he would keep repeating. Last Saturday he threw up a lot of food, and I tried taking him to a 24 hour emergency vet then, but they said the wait time was 12 hours and I ended up taking him back home. He seemed to bounce back and was eating and drinking and playing a bit. He threw up again today and that’s when I took him to the vet. His poops were also abnormal and had a strong smell. I don’t know if this is related, but he also seems to be rubbing his beak on his perches a lot more than usual, and it’s looking very rough.

He's 2 doses into the antibiotics so far and 1 of the probiotics. He's been in a sort of cycle of eating, being really sleepy, getting a bit of energy to preen/fly or climb around his cage/play a little with toys. His poops are looking better, though they're still very watery. I called the vet again for some follow up questions but she was not in today, but the receptionist said she would give her my message and she would call me back tomorrow.

I’m just incredibly anxious and wanted to vent a bit and see if anyone else has experienced this with their bird. Any clues on what he might have? What can I do to make him more comfortable during treatment? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Edit: I forgot to add, but he threw up (or regurgitated? I'm not sure anymore at this point) a tiny bit of food twice today. Definitely not as much as the previous times, but is this a bad sign?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A little patience is in order here. Most antibiotics will take 48 to 72 hours to show results. He is obviously ill so keep him nice and warm and as quiet as possible. BTW try to keep him from flying right now - he needs all that energy to fight what ever is going on with him. Make sure that he is getting fluids and that he is eating. You need to be a good nurse.

You vet did the right thing by taking samples for tests and you will just have to wait for the results. If anything changes drastically with Echo call your vet immediately.

Snuby

Moving in
A little patience is in order here. Most antibiotics will take 48 to 72 hours to show results. He is obviously ill so keep him nice and warm and as quiet as possible. BTW try to keep him from flying right now - he needs all that energy to fight what ever is going on with him. Make sure that he is getting fluids and that he is eating. You need to be a good nurse.

You vet did the right thing by taking samples for tests and you will just have to wait for the results. If anything changes drastically with Echo call your vet immediately.
Thank you for the reply. He has been eating and drinking well so far, and I’ve been quietly working from home today to keep an eye on him. I’ve lowered the ac in an effort to keep his environment a bit warmer as I don’t have a heat lamp, but I am considering getting one if just the ac being off is not enough. He will be getting his third dose of the antibiotics in a bit and already had his probiotics today. I will definitely try to keep him from flying as well.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ask your vet about how long of space or time between antibiotics & probiotices? I know my old vet use to say at least 6 hours between the 2. That gives the antibiotics a chance to work.

Snuby

Moving in
Ask your vet about how long of space or time between antibiotics & probiotices? I know my old vet use to say at least 6 hours between the 2. That gives the antibiotics a chance to work.
I’ve been wondering about this too. I tried calling my vet earlier today with some questions but she was not in, and requested a call back tomorrow. So far his antibiotics have been at 7am and 7pm, and his probiotics around 5pm when my mother gets home. I unfortunately have to wait until she’s home to give him his meds as it’s pretty much a 2 person job. :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Those times are perfect. You should give probiotics about 1 1/2 or greater after the antibiotics are given.

Snuby

Moving in
Those times are perfect. You should give probiotics about 1 1/2 or greater after the antibiotics are given.
That’s great to know, thank you! I just put him to bed and I can hear him grinding his beak, which puts me at ease a bit. I think the worst part right now is just waiting for the test results, and hoping it’s nothing awful.

Snuby

Moving in
Small bump/update: I weighed him a bit ago and he’s lost about 20 grams; he’s normally at around 495-500g. He’s been eating and drinking really well so I’m a bit worried about this weight loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think losing weight when sick is common. I would continue to weigh him to make sure he doesn't continue to lose weight. I hope he feels better soon.

Snuby

Moving in
I think losing weight when sick is common. I would continue to weigh him to make sure he doesn't continue to lose weight. I hope he feels better soon.
Thank you, I will weigh him again later this afternoon. I just called the vet again and left another message requesting a callback. His poops have begun smelling and looking bad a bit again. Still quite worried and anxious about him :sad1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you, I will weigh him again later this afternoon. I just called the vet again and left another message requesting a callback. His poops have begun smelling and looking bad a bit again. Still quite worried and anxious about him :sad1:
It's good that you called the vet. Will the lab results be back today?

Snuby

Moving in
It's good that you called the vet. Will the lab results be back today?
Possibly, they said it would take 2-3 days and he was seen on Wednesday afternoon. Hoping the vet calls soon with some answers and good news.

A quick question: I've been reading other posts here and saw a few people recommending adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to my bird's water and that it could help with infections. Do you think this could be a good idea? Even if he is taking anti/probiotics? I will also ask the vet about this once I hear back from her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Possibly, they said it would take 2-3 days and he was seen on Wednesday afternoon. Hoping the vet calls soon with some answers and good news.

A quick question: I've been reading other posts here and saw a few people recommending adding a bit of apple cider vinegar to my bird's water and that it could help with infections. Do you think this could be a good idea? Even if he is taking anti/probiotics? I will also ask the vet about this once I hear back from her.
I think that's often recommended for gastric yeast infections. I don't think I would add it at this point but see what other people think. @Mizzely @Hankmacaw

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't personally do anything without talking to your vet. While some things are totally harmless, others have side effects or drug interactions.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't believe, personally, that apple cider has any beneficial effects. Have never used it and my vet has recommended that I don't.

Snuby

Moving in
Understood, thank you all for your input! I'll post another update as soon as I can get in touch with the vet, still waiting on that call back...