• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Why does this keep happening?????

Cockatielhour

Meeting neighbors
I think a lot of people don't let their birds fly because it's too much hassle on the owner (not necessarily the bird.) Good for you for wanting your bird to fly! As owner of a flighted bird you have to make the extra effort to make sure your home is bird proofed. Stickers on windows so they don't fly into them, bathroom doors closed, toilet seat down, washing machine lid closed, stepladders at ready to capture a bird "stuck" in a high to reach place and on and on and on. The point is it's a lot of work, but in the end totally worth it for the happiness and healthiness of your bird. Keep up the good work. Don't get frustrated or scared you got this! Unfortunately, it does take time but once all those feathers grow in boy will you have a happy Fid.

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Ive read that I should get his broken feathers pulled out to encourage new growth? how accurate is this ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ive read that I should get his broken feathers pulled out to encourage new growth? how accurate is this ?

If there is a broken shaft still in the "hole" where the feather goes, then yes. Otherwise it will take some time. I would not do any pulling of feathers though without a vet, as you could damage the follicle and then this can cause permanent issues with growing later.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don’t think what your bird has been through already was traumatic enough? The damage is done. Let Mother Nature take care of it the right way. Your job is to keep him safe and injury free until that happens.