• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why does my cockatiel male keep trying to feed(?) a baby that's not his?

chinensis8

Meeting neighbors
Does the question make sense? I've adopted an adult male cockatiel (Miu), he's very sweet and tame. We've had him for a few years now.

Recently my mom brought home a 3 week old cockatiel chick, Miu is very interested and always observes me feeding the baby.

Whenever he gets close to the baby, he goes for the mouth straight away as though he is feeding the baby, but I don't see any food coming out.

I always take him away because I'm worried that the baby could get sick or the baby's crop is going to be too full if by chance he is actually feeding him. Is this normal behaviour? It's as though he's fostering the baby, but he's bad at it (maybe lol)xD.

It's not a disastrous thing or anything, I'm just curious as to why he keeps doing that with babies. Every single time lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These two birds should never have been introduced yet. It is important to quaratine new birds while you wait for the all clear from your vet.

Just keep the male away from the chick. The little one needs to just rest and grow. They can be introduced in the future, letting your male look through the brooder at the chick in a month or two.

chinensis8

Meeting neighbors
Gotcha, I've been keeping him away but sometimes he just goes for it. With all the babies. Now I just cage him when I have the baby out.