• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Course of Action Should I choose

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi there, at this point I have probably annoyed everyone in this forum with the number of times I have posted about konys gout problem (kony is a budgie 12 years old). But I have come to a cross roads and I need help. (I will be mentioning medicines in this post, I explained their effectiveness in a previous post: Cranberry Juice To Help Keep Gout Medication Down? I will link it here so I don’t have to type it all out and make this post a mile long.)
So, I have decided due to the liquid medication doing next to almost nothing to help her I decided to go back to the powdered medications. Only question is which one.

OPTION A: I give her the brown powdered medication again but this time also give her tart cherry juice every now and then and give her Apple Cider Vinegar in her water 3 times a week. Considering how the brown medication goes, it really seems to slow the gout down a lot but does not stop it entirely. The Goal with this option is to see if I can reduce the gout completely instead of just slowing it down due to the additions of the tart cherry juice and Apple Cider Vinegar 3 times a week. (these are known to lower uric acid levels).

CONS: I don’t have a lot of brown medication left so I don’t know how long I can effectively do this and be able to accurately document the results. And with the number of times, I made my parents drive me to the vet for the other medicines I doubt I will be allowed to get a refill.

PROS: I know for a fact that the brown medicine does not upset her at all and if this does not work completely at least I will have slowed the gout down a lot more than I did back then with just the brown medicine alone.

OPTION B: I give her the pink powdered medication mixed with the tart cherry juice this time instead of water. And I will give her Apple Cider Vinegar 3 times a week and tart cherry juice throughout the day every now and then. The Pink medication proved to almost stop the gout developing in her foot entirely with only very small spots appearing.

CONS: The pink medicine really upsets her stomach. When she took it the first time with just water, after 2 weeks of taking it, she would repeatedly throughout the day be trying to regurgitate it. And the last time I gave it to her it upset her so much that she was regurgitating the whole morning and when I gave it to her the night before she did the same. Afterward I found that her pooping area looked as if she had pooped brown diarrhea when she didn’t. This never happened before though. But the urge to regurgitate did happen. The vet said they do regurgitate it if it tastes bad and it does. But it seems like if she didn’t regurgitate it, it upset her whole stomach even though it’s a medicine that’s made of things to help her not harm her. So, if the juice does not stop this effect, she will be having a very bad day and there will be nothing more I could do to make this medicine work.

PROS: If this works and she is no longer having problems with the pink medicine then I believe the gout will really be under control and will be solved due to the strength of the pink medicine and me giving her tart cherry juice and apple cider vinegar. And I have a lot of this pink medicine left so I don’t need to get refills and I can accurately chart down results.

So based on this what do you think I should do. Option A or Option B.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We can't help you with your just saying brown medicine and pink medicine. Without the names of those medications there is nothing we can do to help you.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
We can't help you with your just saying brown medicine and pink medicine. Without the names of those medications there is nothing we can do to help you.
The medications are both called Herbal Complex for gout (thats what it says on the containers). It literally just says herbal complex (and I have tried to get allipurenol but it seems like the vet does not have it or does not have access to it) The pink one is just stronger than the brown one. And the liquid one she is on right now is the same thing but not strong enough like the pink one. It seems weaker than the brown one to.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry, without knowing what the two compounds are - I have nothing to say.