• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Kind of Bird Am I?

What Kind of Bird

• Total voters

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
My bird Echo was sold to me as a Jenday Conure, but as a couple people have pointed out, he doesn't completely look like one. He's ten months old, so he's not completely at his full colors, but he's close. I worked at Petsmart, which is where I met him, and though we sold him as a Jenday, he was listed as a "Fancy Conure", which makes he think he might be a hybrid? At the end of the day it isn't too big of a deal, since Echo is Echo either way, I would just like to know.
I'll include pictures below.
I'm not sure if it matters, but he likes to hang by one foot upside down, roll onto his back, is super cuddly, and (of course) super loud image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

What do you guys think? Jenday, Sun, or Sunday? Poll at the bottom

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
He looks to me like either a Sunburst or Sunday conure (the hybrid between a Sun and a Jenday). I see a lot of these kinds of birds floating through the pet store that I buy supplies from. Either way he's so gorgeous! I've always loved the coloring of the sun/jenday conures! Their little orange eye circles kill me, lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A pure jenday *should* have completely green wings, a yellow head (not all do... questionable heritage!) and a redder stomach.

There is no "waiting for adult coloration" here, he wasn't born with 100% (or near 100%) green wings, he's not a jenday! :) (some hybrids are born with completely green wings, but the other jenday traits are also off! and it might just be facial coloration!)

Being called a "fancy" conure instead of a jenday or a sun just seems to further cement the idea that he's no jenday! He's a Sunday!

Since he's a hybrid with closely related parents, he should, hopefully, be one healthy individual! :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A pure jenday *should* have completely green wings, a yellow head (not all do... questionable heritage!) and a redder stomach.

There is no "waiting for adult coloration" here, he wasn't born with 100% (or near 100%) green wings, he's not a jenday! :) (some hybrids are born with completely green wings, but the other jenday traits are also off! and it might just be facial coloration!)

Being called a "fancy" conure instead of a jenday or a sun just seems to further cement the idea that he's no jenday! He's a Sunday!

Since he's a hybrid with closely related parents, he should, hopefully, be one healthy individual! :)
Monica is a very smart and knowledgeable person with this mutation stuff. I'd be very comfortable with her info and advice on this matter :)

Echo is a beautiful conure! I too am glad he's out of petfart

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
He looks to me like either a Sunburst or Sunday conure (the hybrid between a Sun and a Jenday). I see a lot of these kinds of birds floating through the pet store that I buy supplies from. Either way he's so gorgeous! I've always loved the coloring of the sun/jenday conures! Their little orange eye circles kill me, lol.
It looks like their wearing little masks! Haha and thank you for your answer!

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh

I wasn't sure about coloration since he's my first bird, so thank you for your answer! And so far he seems healthy and happy! He's still scared of fruits and veggies tho, and can't fly, but we'll get there!

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Monica is a very smart and knowledgeable person with this mutation stuff. I'd be very comfortable with her info and advice on this matter :)

Echo is a beautiful conure! I too am glad he's out of petfart
Thank you! He's a little shizz sometimes but at the end of the day, he's the one who I took home because of who he is!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats the problem with petfart birds & many breeders. They don't always have a great interest in fruits & veggies or even pellets as they just never were introduced to them. Poor guy can't fly? Maybe he never fleged or had the space to do it.
Maybe his wings are clipped can't really see but in one pic looks like it. They'll grow back.

Eat fruits & veggies with him & show him they are yummy...Luckily he is a cuddler so that's :heart:

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Thats the problem with petfart birds & many breeders. They don't always have a great interest in fruits & veggies or even pellets as they just never were introduced to them. Poor guy can't fly? Maybe he never fleged or had the space to do it.
Maybe his wings are clipped can't really see but in one pic looks like it. They'll grow back.

Eat fruits & veggies with him & show him they are yummy...Luckily he is a cuddler so that's :heart:
He's on pellets now and eats them well! I'll try eating fruits and veggies with him to see if he gets interested!
And no he can't, but the one who arrived after him could so I think it's weird. His wings are clipped, and sometimes he'll jump if there's no other option, and he flutters (kinda) if he falls. Sometimes he'll act like he wants to by fluttering his wings slightly, but I still haven't gotten him to flap properly. He climbs around like a champ though. I definitely won't be clipping his wings when they grow back, unless something bad happens (like if he keeps hitting windows, though I have shades covering all of them so that shouldn't happen(

And cuddler doesn't even begin to cover it haha! As I type this he's snuggled in my neck preening

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This thread can give you some ideas on converting to new foods! :)

Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The wing quivering could be his way of saying he's afraid of something *OR* he wants to go somewhere. This is different than actual flapping, but it is something performed more often by birds who can't fly, because a flighted bird would just take off.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
This thread can give you some ideas on converting to new foods! :)

Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The wing quivering could be his way of saying he's afraid of something *OR* he wants to go somewhere. This is different than actual flapping, but it is something performed more often by birds who can't fly, because a flighted bird would just take off.
Awesome thank you for that website!
And he'll normally do it when he's on the top of something and I walk over or look at him, so it's him wanting to go somewhere!

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
I rescued my bird shown at left from Petsmart. Yours is lucky to have you! Mine was listed on the sign as a Painted Conure! Ha ha!
Yours is lucky to have your as well! Hopefully your feathered kid isn't as scared as fruits as mine is haha!
And a painted conure, really? Petsmart... Well rather the breeders that send out these birds, really need to get their facts straight!

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
Beautiful birdie no matter what conure it is.
Great colors :)

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
That first picture is so cute! It looks like he is waiting for the answer. "What am I, dad?"