• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are your favorite ways (or your budgie's favorite) to entertain you budgie?

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
Hi all,
My budgie, Lemon, is super active and I am trying to figure out new ways to entertain her. She gets free reign of the house when I am home, which is most of the day. She is fully flighted (I firmly believe that she is a bird and is meant to fly. It would be like not allowing a person to walk or a fish to swim. Of course I am very careful, but that is what comes with owning a bird). She has lots of toys in her cage, I always keep her cage stocked with balsa wood to shred, she even has a second cage in the other room by a window that has even more toys, and then she likes to nap in a certain cubby hole in my entertainment center (no wires or anything for her to get in trouble with), and she hangs out with my family and I a lot. She is commonly looking for other things to get into an play with and getting into trouble (as a bird does). I am always trying to some up with new things to entertain her with, but she is really picky with what she likes (again, as a bird does).

She is both very adventurous and a scaredy cat. She frequently likes to try to land and cling to what ever she can (light switches, picture frames, the key hook, air vents, cabinets, ect.). I try introduce her to new toys to entertain her with, but she is such a scaredy cat with them! Like, I'm trying to get her to play with some small foot toys I got from mysafebirdstore.com such as a tiny wood circle with seeds in it and she is terrified of it! It has seeds it! It though she would love it! She just refuses to like anything new I am introducing. I even will sit there are play with it myself (that is the best way I have found to get her interested in things! Anything that is mine, or that I am eating, she automatically wants. It is a great way to introduce new veggies and stuff!).

I am just running out of ideas on how to entertain her. I don't want her getting bored, but I am just running out of ideas. So, what is some of your bird's favorite past times and enrichment? How do you entertain you birds during the day?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine like shredding things, especially paper, vine balls or loofah. & they're obsessed with bells. Does yours have a bell?

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
Mine like shredding things, especially paper, vine balls or loofah. & they're obsessed with bells. Does yours have a bell?
She has a couple bell things. Her favorite is this disco ball with a bell and this bell with eating utensils attached. She has gotten bored of them a bit lately, so I think I need to switch them out for a bit with something else just for a bit.

She does like shredding a lot too. I found an amazing supplier of bulk balsa wood (supplier here), so I have tons of it that I have drilled holes through, and I bought stainless steel bolts, wing nuts, and washers to screw it to the sides of her cage (she has one on the inside and one on top). She has gotten a little bored with them recently though, so I am thinking about dying them various colors to make them more fun (with bird safe dye of course). I also give her tissues or paper to shred if she is sitting with me. I have tried the shredding woven ribbon stuff and she was not a fan at all. I have not tried loofa. That could be interesting (if I could get her not to be scared of it!).

Maybe I'll try to make some more shredding toys up! I have a bunch of hoarded toy materials that I need to play around with.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Im in Australia so I give mine native things like bottlebrushes; they can pick the little nuts off them and chew on the leaves, they also love banksias which are a great perch. Mine will spend hours individually picking the flower bits off! This one is one of their favourite kind of banksias, mine aren't big shredders but they will shred a bird kabob to pieces.
1616208926022.png

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
My budgie likes it when I toss paper shreds onto him, and he loves to play tug-of-war with just about anything (ropes, q-tips, even tissues). He likes those “cat apps” on my tablet, too, where a little dot just moves all around the screen, he’ll chase the dot forever :roflmao:
He also adores it when I whistle songs for him. He’ll stop whatever he’s doing, ask to perch on my hand then want to be right up next to my face while I whistle, it’s just the cutest thing.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My budgies love their seagrass mat. Especially to swing on it.

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
Im in Australia so I give mine native things like bottlebrushes; they can pick the little nuts off them and chew on the leaves, they also love banksias which are a great perch. Mine will spend hours individually picking the flower bits off! This one is one of their favourite kind of banksias, mine aren't big shredders but they will shred a bird kabob to pieces.
View attachment 376728
I am in the US, but I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm buying stuff from the online bird stores! Thank you!

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
My budgie likes it when I toss paper shreds onto him, and he loves to play tug-of-war with just about anything (ropes, q-tips, even tissues). He likes those “cat apps” on my tablet, too, where a little dot just moves all around the screen, he’ll chase the dot forever :roflmao:
He also adores it when I whistle songs for him. He’ll stop whatever he’s doing, ask to perch on my hand then want to be right up next to my face while I whistle, it’s just the cutest thing.
My lady LOVES my phone or the remote to my apple TV (which her little tongue or feet with flip the channels!).

She also loves when I sing, but I don't do it as much as I should. I just don't think about it.

And she loves to sit on my chest and put her beak right up to my mouth when I am singing or even just talking. We call it bird phone!

casehulf

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
My budgies love their seagrass mat. Especially to swing on it.
I do have a seagrass swing, but she is too scared of swings and won't use them. Perhaps I will try to just leave it somewhere on a table and see if she will play with it just sitting flat. Thank you!