• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird behavior or normal for this time of year?

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Hey yall! long time no chirp, but i've had a busy year!

It's a pretty dry time of year, and my 7 yo budgie Genji, always sneezes a little more often this time of year. But this year i'm noticing it's more often than normal, along with a few other things. He's sneezing 5 or so times a day and rubbing his face against the bars of his cage quite often, along with giving his feathers a good ruffle more often than usual. When he sneezes, it's usually dry (little to no discharge) or a little wet (clear, and only when the sneeze initially happens, not around cere at all). He's been sitting and singing with one foot up which is new, but not necessarily a concern. His tail twitches slightly more than normal and breathing a bit heavier - but he's also been very active, flying and talking a LOT so 90% of the time the breathing is because he just because he flew around, and the tail is just twitching because he's talking... so i'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid on that front. Every so often he does this one thing where he bends down and makes a grinding noise, while bobbing his head like he's about to regurgitate food for 5 seconds and then goes back to normal (he has a habit of feeding people and objects he loves that we're working on, but this particular motion is new)

I was worried he might be having some respiratory issues, as he's been quite needy (attention seeking and screechy), but he isn't showing any of the usual indicators for illness. He's eating and drinking normally, has tons of energy to fly and climb around, sings often, socializes happily and frequently, no lethargy, no signs of nasal discharge or eye irritation, healthy feathers (he is due for a molt though), and his crop looks, feels, and smells just fine.

My vacuum did break, so i haven't been able to vacuum and we have a base board heater on, so part of me wonders if it's partly the dry weather + a lot of bird dander in the air since i haven't been able to vacuum it

He has a checkup scheduled in early-mid January, so i'm just wondering if it's okay to wait til then, or if i'm simply being paranoid haha

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
update: I think it's been happening more often when the heater comes on, so i'm thinking maybe dust being kicked up by the heater