• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Pebble--the cockatiel who's original owner cut off the tail and wings

Cricketful

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Laura
So Pebble has been doing well overall but last night he had a night fright at about 4 am. As far as I know this is his first one as his previous owner (the one who chopped his feathers) said he never had one before. The problem is that Pebble must have broken blood feathers as he was bleeding drops of blood. It seemed like I got the bleeding under control and I have been monitoring him all day. This evening I noticed blood from where he was perched on my shoulder as we watched TV--I immediately used flour and applied pressure. What can I do to make sure the bleeding doesn't happen again?? I have already scheduled an appointment to get him checked overall, the soonest one I could get. Do I need an emergency vet? I would be rushing there if it was a lot of blood (I know it doesn't take much for birds) but my concern is that it will happen again. He was just preening and he started to bleed. It looks like it's from when his previous owner (that one who chopped) cut far too short. I have to work in the am and it's difficult to call off (I'm a teacher, so only two more days and then we have break so I can monitor better). What can I do?? Am I just overreacting to my baby? Thank you all for your help!! <3

Attachments

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don’t know much about this topic, but maybe have something soft at the bottom of the cage to help soften fall if he does have a night fright again.
@Khizz @sunnysmom

Cricketful

Real Name
Laura
I did make it softer, per the suggestions here. He had a nightfright because a painting I hung fell off the wall in the middle of the night, by his cage. I'm definitely not hanging it back up.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Nightlight & less than more perches toys etc so if he thrashes during the night he does not hit into any of them.

Maybe keep perches low so he has less room to fall.

They almost look like they were blood feathers that opened. 2 of them. They could be dangerous if they start to bleed again.

I'd get a vets opinion on that clip. Maybe send that photo. Those might need to be pulled as if they start to bleed alot the bird could lose alot of blood.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
If it’s a blood feather she could bleed to death. When this happened to me, I pulled the broken feather and applied pressure. I did have cornstarch on hand in case I needed it- I didn’t want to use it if I didn’t have to (wanted to avoid possible infection risks) I sterilized everything and applied pressure with cotton balls and a towel. I pulled the feather with sterile tweezers and used Betadine and silver spray prescribed by a vet.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
To prevent more night terrors try leaving a night light on. Sending well wishes to you and pebbles

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I went to a bird first aid class. Blood feathers shouldn't be pulled unless the bleeding won't stop. It is painful for the bird to have one pulled and preferably a vet should do it although I realize in an emergency that may be difficult. I always have a night light for my tiels and partially cover. I would have a vet look at the wings.

Last edited:

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Oh my gosh! That is so bad, I can’t believe the previous owner did that :( poor baby

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps a sleeping crate would work until the birds feathers can molt & regrow. A small dog crate padded with a thick folded towel, no perch, no food/water.

Years ago a lady on a parrot board had many macaws. Some were hers, some belonged to people on vacation, etc. She had every macaw in sleeping cages, which were dog crates padded with thick towels. No perches. She had also traveled to the Amazon to see macaws in the wild. If I remember right, don't hold me to it, she went with National Geographic. It was some group trip they were doing. Anyway she witnessd macaws laying down on plam branches sleeping. Yes laying. That is what gave her the idea of sleeping crates. She would feed them & give them a drink just before putting them the crates for the night.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm thinking it may need to be pulled. :( It's awkward as the feather itself has been cut and I'm not sure if will just keep reopening because of its placement. The shaft of Feathers are a little like straws. They are essentially hollow, thou they do have little structures in them. But given the placement of where the feather had bled it may not be given enough stuff for a clot to really cling to. I hope that makes sense. As a result it may constantly be reopened. If you do find it does keep reopening I would put it.

While pulling a feather should avoided when possible, sometimes it is necessary. It's not terribly difficult to do but it is painful for bird to a degree. I think of it sort of like pulling off a bandaid. Lots of people are squeamish about doing it, which is understandable. If you need to do it, you want to do with a clean quick jerk. Knowing how much strength to put into is difficult especially when you've never done it before. I use to have to pull the occasional feather on my late M2 Zane. It's not the worst thing in the world even thou it does cause some pain. Think of it as you need to pull a splinter from a kid's foot. Is it painful for the child? Yes, but are they better off you in the long run that you did it? Definitely

Hopefully it won't reopen and Pebbles will be fine. If you do have to pull, please don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes things are just necessary evils, that you do for the overall benefit for your bird. Giving meds, taking them to the vet's, ect... Sometimes causing some stress, and even a bit of pain is better for your bird than them receiving no treatment.

Sorry I went on a little rant there. Its not really direct at you, just sometimes people get so squeamish about causing any stress or discomfort to their birds, which is really understandable, it just some circumstances require some discomfort for the benefit of their bird. :)

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

BirdWorld

When spring got a blood feather during the night I applied cornstarch to stop the bleeding, and first thing the next morning I brought her to the vet to get it removed.

Cricketful

Real Name
Laura
I've applied flour and am keeping an eye. It doesn't look red on the ends anymore, but I'm putting a little flour there anyway just in case. I have a vet appointment, so I'm holding out until then unless it turns bad and the bleeding won't stop. I will let the vet know my concerns. He's lost two feathers from the experience which is sad--I was hoping they would stay because I want his feathers to grow. I feel so bad that he can't move well. :-(

Thank you all for your advice!! <3

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh, and I don't want to pull a blood feather--I'd like a vet to do it if it has to be done. I'm just leery of hurting the bird by mistake if I try to.
That's really understandable!! One thing I forgot to mention in my posts was the differences between big birds and small birds. I was dealing with a moluccan cockatoo and you a cockatiel which is quite a size difference. I think its probably easier to pull a feather from a bigger bird. As the risk of accidentally injuring them is significantly smaller.

During your vet visit it would probably be beneficial if you ask your vet if they can talk you through pulling a feather in case you have in the future in an emergency. Hopefully you'll never have to.

I imagine once Betty's feathers grow in again it shouldn't be a huge issue. In all my years of owning birds and being around them, over 25 years now and 6 different birds of my own or fosters, and as well as volunteering at a parrot rescue, I've only had pull feathers from one bird, my Zane. But Zane was a special case with different health problems. So while I think its a good skill to know how to do in case of an emergency, it's also something I don't want people to have anxiety about as very few bird owners will actually have an emergency situation where its needed.

Anyway good luck with Betty :heart: I hope her vet visit goes well :)

Last edited: