• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

** Update #88 ** Something is wrong with Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I hope everything went well with Piper and the vet figured out what is going on

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
No real answers yet. We have to wait for the crop culture to come back next week. The vet said there was a lot of mucus in her mouth and crop, and he thinks her keel bone is a little too prominent. (She has lost 4 grams since her last visit.) He prescribed Enrofloxacin and Fluconazole for 14 days. I had them clip her so that she doesn't expend too much energy flying away from me when I have to medicate her. :(

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
oh no...im so sorry:hug8:i hope the lil one is feeling better soon

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8:I hope she starts feeling better with the meds. :dance5::hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Wouldn't hurt to put her in a smaller cage to watch her poops and make sure she is hydrated. Hoping everything is okay!!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope she starts feeling better with some meds in her! Thinking of you both :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I set her up in a smaller cage when we got home tonight, Chandra. She will stay in there at least until the medication regimen is over. (Pepper is very unhappy at being in the big cage alone, but there's not much I can do about that...)

She had a couple of normal looking droppings in the carrier. The vet would have wanted to do a crop flush if she hadn't, but he didn't want to put her through the stress of it as things were at least passing through her system normally.

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Awww ... I hope the medication will help make Piper feel all better :hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I hate to say it, but first thing that comes to mind is AGY - Avian Gastric Yeast (formerly known as Megabacteriosis but it is in fact a yeast infection). The only thing that makes me thing that is the mucus from the crop flush. I hope it's not, as that's a tough thing to treat! I lost a budgie to it possibly due to one vets ignorance and an a-vets inability to pick up on the disease and by the time we did the crop flush, it was too late (a-vets out of town and they usually send stuff like that to a lab, even though they can do their own gram stains).

I hope Piper recovers! Keep warm and safe until you can get those results back!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lindsay I hope Piper gets better with the medication. Do you have a humidifier? The winter air is dry and you should run a humidifier in the winter to try and keep the humidity at around 55%. Do you have a way to add extra warmth to her cage? Is she drinking?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I hope Piper feels better with the meds and the culture results give more answers. :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hoping the meds help her and she is on the way to a complete recovery.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aw, I'm so sorry! I hope she's better soon!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Poor little baby... Sending over many prayers and healing vibes... :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Monica, I hope it isn't AGY! I did have an issue a few weeks back where someone decided the budgies' water bowl was a potty (they have a bottle and a bowl, but I don't know what they drink out of the most), and I found myself having to change it every hour... And obviously I can't be there 24/7, so someone may have gotten a poopy drink or two. :mad: (I have since placed a flagstone perch a few inches above the water bowl to block it off, and it has remained poop free.) So maybe it's just a simple infection from that? I hope...

Pat, I do not have a humidifier, and to be honest, I am scared of them because of mold issues.:o: I will get a hygrometer so I can at least check the humidity level in my bird room. We have baseboard heat rather than forced air, so it doesn't get as dry in our house as it would in others.

I have a deLonghi radiator running in the bird room and have a heated perch in her convalescence cage.

I saw her eating and drinking this morning, and there are some nice normal poops on the bottom of the cage. :dance4: She is not poofy today, but I feel like all the turmoil from the vet visit has put her back into the 'hide that there's something wrong with me' state, so I'm not getting an accurate picture of how she feels right now.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Just seeing this. Sending prayers. Looks like you are doing everything you can for your little one. Hugs.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The meds are very good at combating this issue. As long as shes eating and drinking then she should be improving in afew days. Maybe some soft warm foods tto, just to be easier on the crop and gastrointestinal tract. Big hug.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Lindsay, I understand your concerns over bacteria and mold in the humidifier. I had done some reading on this and found that there is a bacteriostatic treatment for your humidifier that goes into the water. However, in my bird room I am even more concerned so I put a fresh towel hanging over a big plastic clothes hanger and I hand it on a table so it is right in front of the heater vent. You can feel the moisture in the air right away. I change the towel every day. I make the towel wet but not dripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.