• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

** Update #88 ** Something is wrong with Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
She is
- fluffed up
- sleeping with her head tucked back all day and is not interested in anything that is going on around her
- making regurgitating motions but I do not see anything coming up
- there might have been vomit on her face this morning and on other mornings in the last few weeks (I didn't know that's what it was. I thought she was molting or had recently taken a drink or a bath)
- her eyes are dull
- she did not fly down for her breakfast this morning (she did climb down the side of the cage, but only ate a little before climbing back up to her willow perch, where she is sleeping again), and in retrospect also did not fly down for her treat last night but climbed also
- when her head is not tucked under her wing she is sitting very very straight and upright, almost leaning backwards - I know I read something about this recently in a thread here. If you remember or know what it was, please tell me.
- she and Pepper (her female cagemate) have been in breeding mode the last month or two, and have been feeding each other and all that. Piper was constantly begging Pepper for feedings (I think??) for a week or two up until the last week.

We are going to the vet soon. I don't know if I should move her to a smaller cage or not. She seems very comfortable and unstressed in her normal cage, sitting on her big willow perch (as comfortable and unstressed as she can be, I guess, when she seems so very ill). Pepper was helping her preen away the stuff (vomit?) on her face and head.

I do not have a heating pad. If I put her in a smaller cage when we get back from the vet, can I use a hot water bottle or something similar? I am worried they do not retain heat for long enough. I don't know where to buy a heating pad, or even what I should buy. By heating pads do we mean the electric ones used for muscle aches?

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
saying prayers for her.... please let us know how she is.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lindsay glad you are getting her to the vet. If she seems comfortable I would just leave her for now but make sure your car is warmed up before you bring her outside and cover the travel cage so she stays warm. Many prayers, please let us know what the vet says.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: I don't have any answers but I am sending many good thoughts and prayers Pipers way.:hug8:

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I have used hot water bottles very successfully with baby birds when the electricity had gone out. I just lay my hand on the towels that I put over the hot water bottle and feel how comfortable it is. You could stick a thermometer in there to test it but take it out because you don't want the bird to get at it. Most electric heating pads these days have an auto shut off that is a real pain in the neck. It is a safety feature so humans don't fall asleep with the thing on high and burn themselves. I would also use a towel to wrap the pad. Again, lay your arm over the towel and pad and see how comfy it seems to you. I will say a prayer for your little bird. I hope your vet visit goes well.:) If she is feeling very listless, she won't care which cage she is in and will not be stressed most likely. When she perks up you can move her back to her regular cage. I would cover the cage 3/4 during the day to give her some quiet. Keep her warm.

Last edited:

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Oh my god..The poor baby...I hope everything's okay..:hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Any wal-mart (or possibly Dollar General type of store) should have the small electric heating pads. I remember when our budgies acted that way, my mom put them in the warmest (also quietest) room in the house and put a lamp near them, and covered the other side of the cage with a dishtowel. Their "buddies" would help feed and comfort them. She had some bird antibiotics (I think) that helped them get back to normal.

ThatDarnBird

You can ask your vet if they have a heating pad you can borrow. If you have time to buy one go to the pet store and see if they sell the low heat pet heating pads. The pet ones are designed to stay on all night. Human heating pads now usually have an automatic turn off of 2-4 hours. I hope your baby is ok.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Piper is ok - sending healing thoughts. I'll be anxiously awaiting an update :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is she pregnant? She may have an egg stuck. Let us know ASAP when you get back. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would be keeping the air around her at 80º to help her maintain warmth...Has she had ANYTHING to drink today? Please let us know what the vet says when you get home...:hug8:

noblemacaw

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Sending healing prayers for Piper. Take care and hope the vet has some good news for you!

Noblemacaw

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending many prayers

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Oh poor Piper. I hope she gets better soon. Do let us know what the vet says. :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending prayers to Piper and :hug8:to you. I hope she is soon feeling better.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers that it's nothing serious.

Ginger

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi,

Hope you vet visit went well and nothing serious was found. Like others have mentioned, keep Piper warm and hydrated.

Please Keep us updated.

Gary

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Thinking of you and Piper ... I hope the vet visit went well and Piper will have a speedy recovery :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending positive energy to Piper & some hugs for you.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.