• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

** Update #88 ** Something is wrong with Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I'm so glad she's doing better. It's so scary when the little ones get sick, they seem so fragile. When my budgie was sick over the summer we had to switch meds after 10 days because the culture showed he needed something different, the thing was he was already getting better by then from being kept in a small warm space with some tlc. I kept him in his Pak-o-Bird on a heating pad with his favorite food, millet. The supportive care really does help alot.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You have to be stringent about monitoring the humidity level (hygrometer) and changing the water EVERY day and doing a deep cleaning at least once a week. You can also get the warm mist that has a UV sterilizer although I dont like the warm mist.
Sounds like you are doing good. Just keep up the supportive care until she gets a clean bill of health. The warmth is very important and to make sure she stays hydrated. :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Ugh, the more I read about AGY, the more I wonder. Some things that have been happening with her over the last month that weren't on my radar as being relevant are standing out now... Like her following Pepper around and begging to be fed all the time (which I noticed because of this high pitched beeping noise that accompanied it), and her hanging out at the door all the time and (essentially) 'begging' me for more food also (despite there always being food in the cage), and then eating ravenously and not stopping...

(And now I'm getting flashes of Storm's last week with end-stage renal failure, and that's really not what I need.)

It did look like Piper might have vomited again this morning, but her head didn't look as sticky as it has before. (I really dropped the ball on this by assuming it was from her constant feeding sessions with Pepper... The vet said he would probably have thought the same thing if he were me, though, until the other symptoms started.)

(I'm sure someone will tell me that kicking myself does no good. I know.. it's just my personality. Don't mind me.)

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ugh, the more I read about AGY, the more I wonder. Some things that have been happening with her over the last month that weren't on my radar as being relevant are standing out now... Like her following Pepper around and begging to be fed all the time (which I noticed because of this high pitched beeping noise that accompanied it), and her hanging out at the door all the time and (essentially) 'begging' me for more food also (despite there always being food in the cage), and then eating ravenously and not stopping...

(And now I'm getting flashes of Storm's last week with end-stage renal failure, and that's really not what I need.)

It did look like Piper might have vomited again this morning, but her head didn't look as sticky as it has before. (I really dropped the ball on this by assuming it was from her constant feeding sessions with Pepper... The vet said he would probably have thought the same thing if he were me, though, until the other symptoms started.)

(I'm sure someone will tell me that kicking myself does no good. I know.. it's just my personality. Don't mind me.)
I know how you feel...must catch everything and miss nothing. My vet actually told me not to worry so much about them...but I can't help it. You're doing what you can and getting help from the vet... :sadhug: Get better Pipper-you're making your mom sad and worried!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:hug8: I hope you see some improvement in Piper tomorrow.

And don't beat yourself up for missing some things that were slightly off....it's always easier to see things in hindsight. You got Piper help and that's what counts. I hope she's feeling better soon!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Poofy again today and she's still vomiting. :(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm sorry she is still acting so sick today :( I hope the medication starts helping soon :hug8:

ThatDarnBird

So long as she's eating and drinking. Mybudgie kept vomiting a few days after starting the meds. Don't forget the meds are sticky and taste bad. Good thoughts are still coming your way. Hang in there Piper.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
"(I'm sure someone will tell me that kicking myself does no good. I know.. it's just my personality. Don't mind me.)"

Need I mention Hindsight? Only one person I know who is all knowing. He gave us a brain to figure things out and allowed us to make mistakes to get there.

You have provided care to your bird with a bushel of love, a dash of scritches and the intelligence to have taken him to the Dr. Now, go hug a little birdie.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oi. Even with her clipped I still ended up having to chase the little piranha all around the room tonight for meds! Lucky she's the kind that yells and bites the syringe so there's no difficulty getting it in her beak... :rolleyes:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:hug8::hug8:At least you are not dealing with a Harlequin Macaw who snaps the syringe in two while giving the meds:rofl:
Personally, I would keep her in the cage and quiet/warm until she is really on the mend after finishing the meds. By being sick and out, she is not being able to really use her energy to heal...JMHO:hug8::hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Don't worry, I am keeping her in the hospital cage and not letting her roam... Tonight she managed to squirm away from me during meds, hence our little 'escape to cockatiel cage and try to hide behind Clementine, who is the came color' farce. (If she could bite the syringe in half, she would! Though I think she'd go for my fingers first. :eek:)

Last edited:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Lindsay - it certainly sounds like she is returning to normal. Great news! Keep up the good work!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Just checking in to see how she is today.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Piper is acting more like herself today! She is starting to get angry about being in the little cage. She even chirped a few times! :D

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lindsay so glad Piper is feeling better. You are doing a great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.