• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

** Update #88 ** Something is wrong with Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So happy Piper is doing better, one day at a time! Don't read to much on AGY, it will not make you feel better. My BG is on Amphoteracin right now for AGY. It is almost gone, I think we have another week but he is doing much better! Test for it. Our first tests the vet missed it. It does not show in every sample. Korbel's finally showed in a crop wash not the fecal. When we retest him, we collect fecals all day and mix them together and do a crop wash. It shows on the Gram stains so no waiting, that is nice. Really happy Piper is doing better but if your still worried test for AGY don't assume. They may give him different meds.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Thanks, Sarah. Hopefully we'll have the results back this week from whatever testing they did. I don't know if they are checking for AGY.

The little monster is doing a LOT better already, so I am hopeful that the meds are targeting what they need to. She bit the utter crapola out of me tonight. The day I took her to the vet, she had to chew on me a while and aim for a thin skinned part of my hand before she drew blood... so I KNEW something was wrong. But now... :shocked3:

I felt her keel bone tonight when I was handling her, and she still feels very skinny, but the good news is that she hasn't vomited in the last couple of days. I need to figure out how to get her weight back up. Going to make some birdie bread tomorrow with Harrison's High Potency for a start.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so glad she seems to be doing better!! Hopefully that means the meds are working and getting her healthy!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Argh..

Dr. K called and said it's AGY. :straightface: Her WBC count is also twice what it should be. He wants me to continue the Enrofloxacin for the full 14 days, but discontinue the Fluconazole and start Amphotericin B for 30 days on both budgies since living together and feeding each other means they'll have been passing it back and forth.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Re: Argh..

Dr. K called and said it's AGY. :straightface: Her WBC count is also twice what it should be. He wants me to continue the Enrofloxacin for the full 14 days, but discontinue the Fluconazole and start Amphotericin B for 30 days on both budgies since living together and feeding each other means they'll have been passing it back and forth.
Aww, poor babies. Hope they both clear up quickly. :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
...And now she is SO distressed about being in the hospital cage that she's trying to chew her way out...! Because what she needs on top of the rest is to give herself metal poisoning. :bash:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Lindsay I am sorry, it is so hard when they are out of their normal enviornment. Is there any reason she cant go back to her regular cage?

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Her being in the big cage with Pepper will make medication sessions ten times more difficult because then I'll have to contend with Pepper getting out (which she will) while I'm trying to catch Piper (and vice versa, now that both of them have to be medicated). It's hard enough catching them in the cage... once they get out into the bird room it's nearly impossible. :mad:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
:( I'm sorry it turned out to be AGY and now things are even harder with the hospital cage and having to treat the other....I hope things go as smooth as possible for you :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Her being in the big cage with Pepper will make medication sessions ten times more difficult because then I'll have to contend with Pepper getting out (which she will) while I'm trying to catch Piper (and vice versa, now that both of them have to be medicated). It's hard enough catching them in the cage... once they get out into the bird room it's nearly impossible. :mad:
Oh, I see Lindsay. Well I hope things calm down for you soon. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm sorry it's AGY but now you and your vet know what you're dealing with and can do what's needed. :hug8:

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
I hope they make a full recovery! Medicating one is a pain, let alone 2!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Not sure why she is SO much better on her current meds unless there is a secondary bacterial infection that is being taken care of with them. (She had an injection of Baytril at the vet appointment in addition to the at home oral meds.) I have read that AGY is present in something like 35-60% of budgies regardless of whether or not they ever become ill from it, and that it might become an issue only if they're weakened by another infection.. So I suppose that the stress of being in breeding mode plus another potential infection could have brought this on.

I love budgies, but they seem to be carriers for so many things. :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
She's probably doing better because the meds are "helping" her, even though they probably aren't. That's how I lost my first budgie... only the first vet who saw him (not certified) didn't do any tests, just gave him Baytril and sent him home... the Baytril seemed to help, and he'd do better, for a while.. then he'd go downhill. Give more Baytril, and he'd do better....

When things weren't improving, and he wouldn't stay "healthy", I finally made the switch of vets (various reasons) and when he was tested with fecals, nothing came back except low [good] bacteria count. It wasn't until the necropsy that I found out.... His mate though never showed any signs of being sick and I found a new home for her several months down the road. (I regret not knowing sooner)

Really hope you got it in time and she makes a full recovery!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Re: Argh..

So sorry :(

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Thanks for sharing your experience, Monica. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.