• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Super calm, dainty caique. Too dainty for a second one??

PeetNibblr

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
Hello all! :greet14:

Apologies for the long read but I feel I need to paint a complete picture of my little cherub to do the question justice. :) First timer on the forum, I hope this is proper protocol to place my story here!

TL:dR I'm looking for your opinions and experiences with having the most calm, prim and proper WBC princess anyone's ever seen - AND considering this (apparent) anomaly what in the world would the right second bird be for us?

Background info:

- Her name is Kiwi, she'll be 5 years old in April. We've had her for 4 months. She's our only bird. It's just my husband and I: midlife, no kiddos, chill environment, both work from home. I can tell part of her demeanor is a reflection of our vibe. She goes up in energy when we do, down when we do. She came clipped and while her wings return I'm her transport from station to station, room to room, outdoors/indoors throughout the day. I'm also one of her stations whenever applicable but she's cool with being put on something nearby to free up my movement. Toys and forage abound. Cage time is for sleeping and eating when she tells me she's in the mood. We train. She scratches her little head with one foot when she gets pets. It's heaven.

- She was adopted from a breeder and hand fed from very young by her previous owner. A sweet lady who had other birds of various types as well as dogs and I think a cat? So it sounded to me like Kiwi's early life had minimal to no caiques (other than siblings with the breeder, whom I don't know) but a wide variety of other..err creature exposure including parrot species. Previous Mummy did her due diligence in telling me all I needed to know, and no aggression toward the other birds was mentioned. What WAS mentioned was how dang precious Kiwi is. And she wasn't kidding!

This little girl couldn't be more different to what I was expecting, having studied up and prepared myself for bird life for about a year and knowing how challenging caiques can be - much thanks to this community for being a big part of my studies. I was fully braced for a little bundle of chaos. But y'all, not this one lol. I just don't think she knows she's a caique! XD She plays but it's dainty. She doesn't wrestle, stomp, bounce around, etc. She hardly chews, I'm working with her to encourage more. Her "bites" are nothing, a hard ish squeeze only rarely. Warning squeals aplenty but she won't push the issue, she lets me move her (or the thing she wants) with some fuss and then it's over. She's reddened my skin...twice XD and both times has made sense. I could tell what the problem was. Absolutely no random Crazybirb as is said to be the caique way. The individual personality of this girl is everything BUT what one typically expects from the killer clown culture of her peoples.

So - what now? I LOVE her. I've always wanted two birds. I WAS going to get a second wbc or a bhc once we (Kiwi and I) were good and settled, thinking she'd appreciate a potential (if they decide they like each other) playmate to satisfy her (originally expected) thirst for thrills. I'm very aware of their reputation for being poor candidates for being around other species. But now I'm like...I think a more typical caique would drive her nuts and would be an automatic 'no' from her! Bully her even! She's not aggressive or rambunctious - bright, yes; curious, yes; diggy, yes yes, oh the caves; likes to swing around on my clothes somewhat, sure. But chill! So chill - relatively, again, as compared with Cake lore. Previous Mummy says she's always been sweet as pie. Vet says she's healthy. She's just...Kiwi :) Granted that there's always a chance that they (Kiwi and whoever future birb is) just don't get on regardless of type - which I can adapt to as needed - I'd love to give the situation the best chance for a *friendly* environment if I can. I've seen quite a few buddy duos where the other bird dwarfs the caique, often it's a galah or goffins cockatoo. Is it because they're both...weirdos? XD Is that why it works?? Or is it again just down to personality and those are special pairs that happened to jive. My hunch is that Kiwi could easily comprise 1/2 of an odd duo...but I don't have the experience, so it remains a hunch.

What say ye on this? I tend to imagine that a similar beak size and body weight would be most practical - erring on a *little* bigger for a touch of self defense? Should Kiwi's ancestral berserker blood wake up - it might give me time to intervene. I'd want to get to know any new bird first to assess personality but what species would I look for? Big(ger) conures? Like a blue crowned? Kiwi ranges about 150-157 grams. I feel sun conure size is too small. Thoughts?? Testimonials? Just info gathering for another year likely, including from Kiwi herself lol.

TIA friends!!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Hello all! :greet14:

Apologies for the long read but I feel I need to paint a complete picture of my little cherub to do the question justice. :) First timer on the forum, I hope this is proper protocol to place my story here!

TL:dR I'm looking for your opinions and experiences with having the most calm, prim and proper WBC princess anyone's ever seen - AND considering this (apparent) anomaly what in the world would the right second bird be for us?

Background info:

- Her name is Kiwi, she'll be 5 years old in April. We've had her for 4 months. She's our only bird. It's just my husband and I: midlife, no kiddos, chill environment, both work from home. I can tell part of her demeanor is a reflection of our vibe. She goes up in energy when we do, down when we do. She came clipped and while her wings return I'm her transport from station to station, room to room, outdoors/indoors throughout the day. I'm also one of her stations whenever applicable but she's cool with being put on something nearby to free up my movement. Toys and forage abound. Cage time is for sleeping and eating when she tells me she's in the mood. We train. She scratches her little head with one foot when she gets pets. It's heaven.

- She was adopted from a breeder and hand fed from very young by her previous owner. A sweet lady who had other birds of various types as well as dogs and I think a cat? So it sounded to me like Kiwi's early life had minimal to no caiques (other than siblings with the breeder, whom I don't know) but a wide variety of other..err creature exposure including parrot species. Previous Mummy did her due diligence in telling me all I needed to know, and no aggression toward the other birds was mentioned. What WAS mentioned was how dang precious Kiwi is. And she wasn't kidding!

This little girl couldn't be more different to what I was expecting, having studied up and prepared myself for bird life for about a year and knowing how challenging caiques can be - much thanks to this community for being a big part of my studies. I was fully braced for a little bundle of chaos. But y'all, not this one lol. I just don't think she knows she's a caique! XD She plays but it's dainty. She doesn't wrestle, stomp, bounce around, etc. She hardly chews, I'm working with her to encourage more. Her "bites" are nothing, a hard ish squeeze only rarely. Warning squeals aplenty but she won't push the issue, she lets me move her (or the thing she wants) with some fuss and then it's over. She's reddened my skin...twice XD and both times has made sense. I could tell what the problem was. Absolutely no random Crazybirb as is said to be the caique way. The individual personality of this girl is everything BUT what one typically expects from the killer clown culture of her peoples.

So - what now? I LOVE her. I've always wanted two birds. I WAS going to get a second wbc or a bhc once we (Kiwi and I) were good and settled, thinking she'd appreciate a potential (if they decide they like each other) playmate to satisfy her (originally expected) thirst for thrills. I'm very aware of their reputation for being poor candidates for being around other species. But now I'm like...I think a more typical caique would drive her nuts and would be an automatic 'no' from her! Bully her even! She's not aggressive or rambunctious - bright, yes; curious, yes; diggy, yes yes, oh the caves; likes to swing around on my clothes somewhat, sure. But chill! So chill - relatively, again, as compared with Cake lore. Previous Mummy says she's always been sweet as pie. Vet says she's healthy. She's just...Kiwi :) Granted that there's always a chance that they (Kiwi and whoever future birb is) just don't get on regardless of type - which I can adapt to as needed - I'd love to give the situation the best chance for a *friendly* environment if I can. I've seen quite a few buddy duos where the other bird dwarfs the caique, often it's a galah or goffins cockatoo. Is it because they're both...weirdos? XD Is that why it works?? Or is it again just down to personality and those are special pairs that happened to jive. My hunch is that Kiwi could easily comprise 1/2 of an odd duo...but I don't have the experience, so it remains a hunch.

What say ye on this? I tend to imagine that a similar beak size and body weight would be most practical - erring on a *little* bigger for a touch of self defense? Should Kiwi's ancestral berserker blood wake up - it might give me time to intervene. I'd want to get to know any new bird first to assess personality but what species would I look for? Big(ger) conures? Like a blue crowned? Kiwi ranges about 150-157 grams. I feel sun conure size is too small. Thoughts?? Testimonials? Just info gathering for another year likely, including from Kiwi herself lol.

TIA friends!!
Kiwi sounds super sweet.

I think you just have to be prepared for them to not get along. I think your best bet is to look into older birds with an established/known history of temperament/personality (a bird rescue should be able to help you find some candidates).

My gold-capped conure weighs ~145g in case you wanted an additional species to look into. Depends on the individual but my gold-capped is super sweet and gets bullied by my GCC who is literally half his weight, although the gold-capped is very chaotic and rambunctious (think golden retriever puppy on caffeine).

PeetNibblr

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
Kiwi sounds super sweet.

I think you just have to be prepared for them to not get along. I think your best bet is to look into older birds with an established/known history of temperament/personality (a bird rescue should be able to help you find some candidates).

My gold-capped conure weighs ~145g in case you wanted an additional species to look into. Depends on the individual but my gold-capped is super sweet and gets bullied by my GCC who is literally half his weight, although the gold-capped is very chaotic and rambunctious (think golden retriever puppy on caffeine).
Thank you so much! A rescue of an older bird is exactly what I'd want - someone who, at minimum, has already been through puberty and has become their true self lol. And thank you for the species recommendation! Sounds like a great fit, I will definitely look into and keep gold capped conures on my radar ❤

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Could you work with a rescue to foster first to see how it goes. I personally really enjoyed the close relationship with my only parrot but get wanting more than one.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don’t have much advice to offer, but I have to say that she sounds like a sweetheart! She also sounds the exact opposite of everything I’ve ever read about them :rofl: You might have gotten lucky!

PeetNibblr

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
Could you work with a rescue to foster first to see how it goes. I personally really enjoyed the close relationship with my only parrot but get wanting more than one.
I will certainly try! That'd be lovely if a rescue would allow me to foster for a time. I know they're very protective, rightly so, but oh boy I'm happy to beg my case! Hehe

PeetNibblr

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
I don’t have much advice to offer, but I have to say that she sounds like a sweetheart! She also sounds the exact opposite of everything I’ve ever read about them :rofl: You might have gotten lucky!
Right?? I am floored by it! I'm in a few caique enthusiast groups and it's just hilarious the sheer dearth of shared experiences I have with fellow members. I'm almost sad to miss out on some the wacky hijinks but I just adore her and the (relative) peace is just as lovely! She still can be a ham just turned way down from max caique-iness ❤ which is what makes me think of conures as a possibly(?) better vibe match.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
4 months should be settled and showing true personality, but you might still be in the honeymoon phase... and breeding season is just barely getting started

PeetNibblr

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
Ahh, kk good to know! I was thinking a full year with her would be my timeline before I really get into looking for the next bird buddy - so that's another reason to do so! I was also wondering if maybe she'll be more confidently caique-y when her wings return.