• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sun conures: the yellowest things that aren't bananas

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
last night I was looking at research over Sun Conure noises because I was just curious. supposedly they're REALLY loud but either I got lucky or I don't notice the sound all too much because I absolutely adore Leaf.

it's funny how some people are saying they're too loud for them while other's can stand a Macaw's vocalisations or even a Cockatoo's but can't a Sun's.

then again, it's very true that one person's lovely noises from a bird is another person's "omg I can't deal with this!!!!"

so funny story:

this morning I put in some pellets for Leaf, as I do every morning (emptying out the dust and adding in fresh) and he goes over to his bowl and I guess he has a little birdie tantrum because he proceeds to THROW out the pellets. scoop and toss everywhere. he's never done this before and seems to love his pellets. but I guess reasons. :rofl:

I remember my mom and I were talking once and we expressed that having a parrot was like buying 100$ worth of food and ending up with them trashing 50-75$ worth for no apparent reason aside from "oh this is a fun game! let me shower the floor!!!"

since he hasn't been with me for very long, I don't have too many funny stories but he did try to visit the toilet water while I was going to the bathroom and was very fond of it (flew onto my shoulder because I was out of sight for like 10 seconds lol) for some reason and every time I removed from my shoulder/back he would hop right back on and I was like LEAF, THAT IS NOT A BATH TUB. :facepalm:

I'd like to hear some of your funny stories with your Sun's or other conure's in your life! I love my little sunny boy!!:heart2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
this morning I put in some pellets for Leaf, as I do every morning (emptying out the dust and adding in fresh) and he goes over to his bowl and I guess he has a little birdie tantrum because he proceeds to THROW out the pellets. scoop and toss everywhere. he's never done this before and seems to love his pellets. but I guess reasons. :rofl:
The scooping and throwing of food is an extreme bird art form! Milton is capable of tossing pellets across the room and having them land on target...my head. He also has been known to create works of art by flinging his morning oatmeal on the wall....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Pooping on the ceiling could also be considered an abstract art form and I do wish Newton were still alive to see it. Gravity be damned!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who goes through the sweeping from around their bird's cage and picks out the good pellets for reuse... I put them in a bowl on the bottom of the cage for Lìmone to throw out again.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
@SandraK pooping on the ceiling??? I think I would take that picture and frame it. I'm sure people would think I was crazy but that's amazing!

@Tanya I have two vaccums. their names are Bow and Soap and they love to clean up after Leaf! they view it as extra special snacks!

Leaf wanted to take a bath today and tried to do so in my water glass so I took him over to the sink, plugged the drain, and let him climb in. such a pitiful bath! barely wet himself but he was happy! last night I was drinking some wine and he apparently thought he was old enough to have some. I told him repeatedly that he wasn't of age but he has selective hearing and kept trying to get at it until I covered the glass with a napkin. silly bird, you're never old enough for wine!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Isabelle likes to lick the milk foam from my morning cappuccino,.
Folks tend to generalize about species . Certain traits are more predominate within a species, . a lot of factors are at play, genetics, hand rearing, socialization, etc... how ultimately each individual bird behaves.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
It's what they do. Nerd usually didn't throw or dump his bowls, Lurch LOVED to grab and dump anything not nailed down just as a statement, Dobby mostly just eats his but also loves to dunk so he has two water bowls and a water bottle so he always has at least one clean water source.
Nerd would dump his top water bowl when it was dirty, like HEY, I NEED fresh, cold, clean water to drink. He loved fresh ice water in his top bowl and would happily squeeel and whistle to himself when he got cold fresh water to drink.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@SandraK pooping on the ceiling??? I think I would take that picture and frame it. I'm sure people would think I was crazy but that's amazing!
Not when you have to try scraping the stuff off the ceiling ... for some reason poop will stick to the ceiling, cleaning materials don't ..