• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure and a new conure

Mariella

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I have a male sun conure. I’m planing on getting a second conure. I’m just not sure if it’s best to get a different species. I want a turquoise green cheek. Do you think this would be okay with my sun conure? I don’t want to breed them but if for some reason it happens I’ve read their could be issues (I don’t think I could bring myself to boil the eggs). My vet didn’t mention this when I said I was considering a different species he just said that the offspring would be infertile.
Is there another type of conure that is known to get along with a sun conure?
Would it be best to get another sun conure?

P.S. attached is my Sunny haha

Attachments

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Personally, I'm a one-conure type of guy. Sorry, can't help. :D
I do know you need to get ready to buy a second cage tho.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
What a cute pic!!! Sunny looks adorable! In my humble opinion, another sun conure would be best (if you indeed want to add another member to the flock). It's no guarantee that they'll get along, but it's more likely than if you were to introduce a whole new species to the mix. With that said, birds are all very different and have their own personalities, so it really is very hard to know up front if they'll get along. As for interspecies breeding, I would whole-heartedly discourage it by keeping them separate. Hope this helps!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
How old is your Sunny? He looks quite young in the photo (mostly green wings) but I may be wrong. Have you had experiences with adult conures before? You may want to be sure you can handle one adult, hormonal sun conure before you get a second bird. Birds do certainly do better with each others' company (even if they don't share a cage) but please be sure you can handle them both at once. Conures especially can be absolute dreams as babies but then become incredibly difficult at maturity. Most of those cute, cuddly videos you may see are of very young, very tolerant conures. It's a very different story for the adults. Be sure that you can handle two hormonal, molting, food-flinging conures at once. Always prepare for the worst with birds, even if it may not occur.
I would discourage you to breed, simply because it can get out of hand and it takes years of experience to learn how to care for a baby or babies when the parents abandon them (which they likely will do with the first clutch). Baby birds are incredibly fragile and I personally believe human's methods of hand raising are still very flawed and often dangerous or uncertain. To the other extreme, there's also a lot of people out there that try to just let nature take its course, which simply isn't responsible or fair for the birds and their chicks. And I certainly wouldn't suggest you try or allow inter-species breeding. It's mostly a moral issue, but it can also end with hybrids that have more defects than other birds who are only one species.
Your Sunny is very cute, suns are adorable little screechy guys. :heart: Hopefully more people can chime in to help your decision.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don’t want to breed them but if for some reason it happens I’ve read their could be issues (I don’t think I could bring myself to boil the eggs).

Of course you can and will replace those eggs with fakes should the need ever arise. Because the alternative is not an option.

There is no life in that egg until it has been actively incubated for a number of days. And that's only after the whole clutch is laid. That egg could be dormant for up to 10 days.

If you get another male you don't have to worry about any of that crap.

Loubear64

Moving in
Real Name
Louise Jacobs
I have a green cheek conure and a sun conure and they get along great. I think everything will be ok if you know what you are getting into.