• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden Allergies?

Wordbird23

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jess
I have a Green Cheek Conure, this summer will be my fourth year will him and I have had him since he was two months old.
I’ve noticed suddenly in Oct 2020 that I break out in hives on my arms and hands at random, and the last week have developed itchy dry eyes. I don’t know if it is possible to develop a sudden bird allergy. My Conure takes a bath every other day and his cage is kept pretty clean. I live in a small studio apartment so he and I spend a lot of time bonding together.
I’ve noticed this reaction happens more when it’s his feeding time, when I go from outdoors to indoors, after a shower and at night.
I’ve sprayed the home with various bug killers too in case it could be mites, which I haven’t seen any traces of on myself or the bird but thought extra precaution couldn’t hurt. (Ensured the bird was not in the way and used pet friendly sprays)
I was supposed to have an allergy test last week but my appointment was canceled due to Covid and I’m waiting for my dr to give me another referral but I’m on a low priority list.

My place is a little drafty at times and this last week the windows leaked due to the rain and I noticed a big spike in my symptoms since.

I guess I’m reaching out to see if bird dander is common with Conures or is even a thing. If anyone else has had these reactions and how to deal with them or if maybe I could be allergic to something else.

I don’t plan on parting with my bird regardless of the outcome. I’ve grown very attached to him and he’s bonded closely with me. I could never get rid of an animal anyways :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’m sorry you’re going through this.

It’s definitely possible to develop new allergies to something you’ve been around for a long time, or, for mild allergies to get worst the longer you are around that allergen.

I’ve always had allergies but they got way worst when I dated a cat owner (I didn’t have a parrot at the time). I have a CAG now and I think her dust can also aggravate my allergies.

Conversely, I’m mildly allergic to dogs and it has grown more mild the longer I have dogs.

It‘s hard to know what’s going on with you without a thorough allergy test. Have you changed anything else about your environment, bird’s food or toys, clothing, soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc. that could be a factor?

What are you doing when you feed him that precedes the allergic reaction?

I’d be very careful about using bug sprays in the future, even if they are pet friendly. Were they sprayed after your allergies began?

Good luck.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Its possible as ive never had allergies to bird dander until one summer i moved my birds outside for fresh air then when brought back in i was wheezing terribly. I still have all my birds but i have an inhaler now and was prescribed another medication

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess

It’s definitely possible to develop new allergies to something you’ve been around for a long time, or, for mild allergies to get worst the longer you are around that allergen.

I’ve always had allergies but they got way worst when I dated a cat owner (I didn’t have a parrot at the time). I have a CAG now and I think her dust can also aggravate my allergies.

Conversely, I’m mildly allergic to dogs and it has grown more mild the longer I have dogs.

It‘s hard to know what’s going on with you without a thorough allergy test. Have you changed anything else about your environment, bird’s food or toys, clothing, soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc. that could be a factor?

I’d be very careful about using bug sprays in the future, even if they are pet friendly. Were they sprayed after your allergies began?

Good luck.

Good luck.
I had the bird next door when I sprayed for bugs and I did so after having a break out. I found a few carpet Beatles and spiders in the fall. Thought maybe I had been bitten. I used to have a dog and she was allergic to ant bites. The hives went away for a while and then came back. And would go away. It’s like every few weeks to days I’ve been breaking out since the middle of Oct. I’ve only had such reactions to alfalfa before and there’s none around.

My bird is very clean and so is his cage. Each week I do a deep clean of everything in his cage and I clean his perches and tray every other day. Plus he gets a bath every day to other day. He loves water.

We had a big rain storm at the beginning of the week and I noticed a flare up of my allergic reaction at home since it’s happened. My itch and feel dry.

I just cleaned his cage today and gave him a bath and I have a few bumps on my hand and arm where he walked up. (I had him in the sink and filled it up for him).

I haven’t changed anything soap or food wise at home.

Im wondering if maybe it’s just dry cold air that’s irritating my skin and when the bird walks on me it flares up more?

He hasn’t groomed anymore then usual so I don’t think there’s mites at all or extra dander I don’t see any traces of any or bugs.

I hardly ever have an allergic reaction to things. So this is new for me and yes without having a test done it makes it more if a challenge to resolve.

On a similar note...would perhaps a humidifier be a thing to get and safe/good for him as well?

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
Its possible as ive never had allergies to bird dander until one summer i moved my birds outside for fresh air then when brought back in i was wheezing terribly. I still have all my birds but i have an inhaler now and was prescribed another medication
Sorry to hear that! We haven’t moved at all. If anything I’ve been home more this year due to the pandemic then anything else. The bird and I have bonded a lot. And as of the fall, he’s been in his cage more then out free in the apartment with me like prior months/years. I just wasn’t sure if Conures got dander as I’ve never seen any on him and if it could be possible to suddenly be allergic to something.
I don’t want to think it’s him, but I’m running out of things it could be. Aside from cold dry air.

Wordbird23

Real Name
Jess
Sorry to hear that! We haven’t moved at all. If anything I’ve been home more this year due to the pandemic then anything else. The bird and I have bonded a lot. And as of the fall, he’s been in his cage more then out free in the apartment with me like prior months/years. I just wasn’t sure if Conures got dander as I’ve never seen any on him and if it could be possible to suddenly be allergic to something.
I don’t want to think it’s him, but I’m running out of things it could be. Aside from cold dry air.
With your allergy, did you break out in hives? I mainly get hives, I sneeze for a session. Sometimes am a little congested and as if this week my eyes have been itching

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Are the bumps where his toenails grip your arm? Often any mild damage like that to skin can cause bumps and itchiness that’s not due to allergies.

All birds (and even humans) produce dander. It is different for dusty birds like greys and cockatoos, but all birds create minute dust/dander because of their feathers. Humans shed skin cells and create dander, too.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had hives for few months a while ago to. They just suddenly appeared. I took Benedryl & the other non drowsy antihistamine. Mostly on my arms, back, stomach. groin & thighs. Never on face luckily as you have to be careful as if you get them in your throat you can have a problem.
Drs asked all the ?. Food, soap, detergent etc but nothing was new except I had been eating hotdogs for over a month alot! I stopped them & it still happened at times & I'd take the RX. It took months but finally it went away.

Never knew what caused it but sometimes it can even be stress. I have not had them in about 2 years now. Whoooo...

Last edited: