• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Flipper that is a worry. Mung beans are normally great sprouters.
Try a few in a saucer with paper towels. Keep damp and see what happens.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
It is all good. Solved the problems.

I have made another adjustment and drilled a row of larger holes along one side of the box for better drainage. The small holes are 1mm drilled then run a hot needle through them to clear any plastic. But found they were still not draining that well.

Double stacking.
Top box is the last of the Soak & Sprout mix.
Bottom box is the next lot of my mix. Still a day or two off.
Both boxes have drain holes, which you can see in the second pic.

You can't see all the smaller seeds, they get washed to the bottom, and I forget this when I take the photos.
Will update new pic later today. As I did see this morning the Quinoa sprouting away.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Flipper that is a worry. Mung beans are normally great sprouters.
Try a few in a saucer with paper towels. Keep damp and see what happens.
Ok. Thank you :)

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
If you don't have a sprouter kit then this is an easy replacement:
you can sprout your soaked seeds in a stocking, just rinse them like you normally would and hang them horizontally above your kitchen counter to drain.
it really works!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Here are photos from today. 24hrs after the photo above.
What a difference a day can make.
Day temps are now getting up to 16c lows at night 13c.
And with them spooned up so you can see a better selection.

ConureTiel

Avenue Veteran
This thread is amazing with a wealth of info - and firmly convinces me that sprouting is endlessly complicated and fraught with hazards.:faint: :hehe:-

This from someone who is generally unafraid of kitchen/ food procedures. I use almost all cast iron for cookware, I make sourdough baked goods and have different starters that are 10+ years old, I have in the past made my own yogurt and kept the yogurt cultures going for a while.

I have fed my dogs raw diets in the past, kept a dog with kidney function compromise going for years without using k/d because of the poor ingredients in it, etc.

But sprouting - wow, what a lot of jars and steps and so many hazardous things that could go wrong.

I give a sincere tip of my hat to you sprouters for sure. Incredible!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
This thread is amazing with a wealth of info - and firmly convinces me that sprouting is endlessly complicated and fraught with hazards.:faint: :hehe:-
But sprouting - wow, what a lot of jars and steps and so many hazardous things that could go wrong.
It certainly seems like a mine field. But once you crack it your birds are the ones who get all the benefits of a FRESH NATURAL LIVE FOOD diet.
The cost is very minimal and you can cut back or hopefully stop feeding manufactured, processed foods, and supplements.
They have to be worth this effort. And once up and running it takes so very little to do each day.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Hey everyone. I'm a long term sprouter. I find it incredibly simple with no hazards, apart from possibly splashing yourself with water!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Hey everyone. I'm a long term sprouter. I find it incredibly simple with no hazards, apart from possibly splashing yourself with water!
I would have to agree ..no problems here and I just started ..I use jars and my cold room and everything is working very well :dance5:

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

This from someone who is generally unafraid of kitchen/ food procedures. I use almost all cast iron for cookware, I make sourdough baked goods and have different starters that are 10+ years old, I have in the past made my own yogurt and kept the yogurt cultures going for a while.

I have fed my dogs raw diets in the past, kept a dog with kidney function compromise going for years without using k/d because of the poor ingredients in it, etc.

Oh, no! This thread is supposed to show how easy it is to sprout! It is not nearly as complicated as it seems.

I am an amateur cook and have a black thumb in the garden and even I can keep sprouts alive because you only have to keep them alive for two days and they're done! Some people even have good luck sprouting in a kitchen strainer. All you have to do is soak whatever you're sprouting in a dish for 12 hrs, then strain and rinse a couple of times a day for a couple of days. Simple!

When being freefed sprouts, dry seed, and pellets, my three birds will all choose to eat the sprouts first. That tells me everything I need to know. It's worth trying. :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Here you go!
Johnny King shared this on our Happy Healthy Parrots (No Pellets) group.

As you can see these are just drinks bottles with a cut out. To flush and drain he uses one cap with holes in it. (Not Shown).

This goes to show you do not have to pay for any expensive units to be a sprouter.
And like me sprouts different seeds in separate containers due to different sprouting times.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's wonderful! And pretty too!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
When being freefed sprouts, dry seed, and pellets, my three birds will all choose to eat the sprouts first. That tells me everything I need to know. It's worth trying.
And unlike things they should not eat, but go crazy over these are totally good for them. A Win Win situation.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
And unlike things they should not eat, but go crazy over these are totally good for them. A Win Win situation.
True. :) They can hear me getting their plates of sprouts out of the refrigerator and flock call to me while I'm doing that, then they fly to me as soon as I walk into the room and can barely wait for me to set the plates down. I feel it's the best thing I've ever attempted(and succeeded) at doing for them. I am rewarded in my efforts by seeing them enjoy it so much and I can feel good about it actually being good for them as well. :)

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well this gets me going again. I do sprout and I find it so easy. I had put all on a thread a couple of years ago and photo's. I use mason jars and special draining lids and a dish drainer to lay them on an angle. It so easy and I never had any problems. So for those that fear it don't! I bought all my ingredients at a Whole Foods.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I feed my parrotlets some sprouted stuuf, it's a mix including lentils, buckwheat, wheat, brown rice, adzuki and mung beans.

does anyone know what vitamins are found in this mix when sprouted?

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I feed my parrotlets some sprouted stuuf, it's a mix including lentils, buckwheat, wheat, brown rice, adzuki and mung beans.

does anyone know what vitamins are found in this mix when sprouted?
Mung Beans
Vitamins A, B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium
Amino Acids
Protein: 20%

Adzuki Beans
Vitamins A, B, C and E
High in Calcium, Iron, Niacin
All Essential Amino Acids except Tryptophan
Protein: 25%

Buckwheat Groat Sprouts
Vitamins A, B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium
Amino Acids
Protein: 15%

Wheat
Vitamins B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus
Amino Acids

Brown Rice
Vitamins B, C and E
Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus
Amino Acids

There are several different types of lentils and I didn't know which you have. I got this info from The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet! :)

Fatgirl