• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Or possibly in very hot climate.
Arizona is noted as a very hot climate, as is most of the SW USA and the Middle East. The entire world is a variety of climates.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I don't know.
I think better use the ACV with every rinse until you get it sorted. Then you may consider just fresh water rinse.

High temps may well be an issue, and be the cause of some of the trouble. It is one I do not know about or have an answer for. I am sprouting in winter temps down to 10c at night and 16c during the day.
Germination taking three to four days.
In summer it will be 16c at night and 22c during the day. These are not max or min, just a rough guide.
Taking two to three days.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I let the sprout mix soak overnight and rinse well in the morning, then i put it in a colander and rinse it 3 times a day. when small tails appear i put the sprouts in diluted acv (50/50 water/acv) for about 30 minutes.
then rinse it very well, let it drain and store the sprouts in the refrigerator and feed them within 3 to 4 days.
i'm not sure if the acv kills all the bad things, but maybe it could help to soak the sprouted seeds in hot boiled water for a couple of minutes before feeding them?
does anyone know how long you can store things like broccoli sprouts / alfalfa etc.

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Cool thank you.
The only thing is if you cook them they are not live any more. Not that it should matter that much. And if worried it should kill most things.
I think you are doing right by not keeping them longer than 3 to 4 days.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
EXCELLENT THREAD!!!!

I LOVE this thread very much so.

I however find this jar technique out of my depths, so I use the 3 teer stacking sprout tower majig.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sprouter Garden by Handy Pantry: Stackable Tray Sprouting System

I have this.

Just fill up one tray a day. Rinse thoroughly twice a day. The next day, fill up another tray (1 cups of sunflower seeds is what I use), and rinse both thoroughly. The next day, fill up the third tray and rinse all three trays thoroughly.

By day 4, the first tray is ready. Rinse well and use Apple cider vinegar to cleanse. Serve up!

Make sure to Rinse other two trays and fill up the now empty tray and rinse.

And every day after this youll be having fresh sprouts ready to eat!!

Make sure to rinse twice daily!

Lisidou

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Found this on Amazon......anyone know what on here may be not good to sprout and feed to my birds? Or suggestions on what else is easy to sprout that is best for them? I have never tried sprouting but try to feed my feathered angels the best possible healthy foods so I want to try this.
Thanks!
  • Certified Organic Seeds, and Seed Mixes
  • Ten 4 Oz Bag Sampler: Alfalfa, Bean Salad Mix, 3 Part Salad Mix, 5 Part Salad Mix, Mung Bean, Green Lentil, Clover, Buckwheat, Broccoli & Radish
  • High Germination Rate
  • Perfect to discover and sample new sprouts
  • Some seeds usable as garden seed (broccoli, radish, lentil) - Some seeds usable in cooking (lentil)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Found this on Amazon......anyone know what on here may be not good to sprout and feed to my birds? Or suggestions on what else is easy to sprout that is best for them? I have never tried sprouting but try to feed my feathered angels the best possible healthy foods so I want to try this.
Thanks!
  • "Certified Organic Seeds, and Seed Mixes"
Should be ok. Check contents have no added stuff.
  • "Ten 4 Oz Bag Sampler: Alfalfa, Bean Salad Mix, 3 Part Salad Mix, 5 Part Salad Mix, Mung Bean, Green Lentil, Clover, Buckwheat, Broccoli & Radish
  • High Germination Rate.
  • Perfect to discover and sample new sprouts"
You need to check what beans are in the Bean Salad Mix. 3 Part Salad Mix. 5 Part Salad Mix. I think everything else is good.
  • "Some seeds usable as garden seed (broccoli, radish, lentil) - Some seeds usable in cooking (lentil)"
These you need to be careful with. A good number of packet seeds have anti fungal and other stuff on them to aid growth. So please check if they are treated with anything.
Again these are only my opinions. Please double check.

slinky-kitty

Whoops! Sorry a few more details. i forgot to run through the process I do.
Soak for 12hrs, if you soak any longer rinse at least once. The grass seed and Maize I soak for at least 24hrs, before moving on to just rinse and drain.
Rinse and drain twice a day minimum. This is all I do. Some say use ACV in the rinse. I do not.
Where do I sprout? On the bench in the wash room. And it is getting down to 10c at nights here in winter right now. So they are taking a few days.

I also forgot to post pics of the storage container.
The tray that fits in the box. As you can see I cut some small slots in the plastic, which I cut from the lid of the box. And as luck would have it fits and sits just off the bottom of the box.

Thank you so much for this! I wouldlike to try. Similar temperature here at the moment. May i ask do you screw the lids on the glass jars or just put jars with no lids in box and then put the tray with cuts in it on as the lid?

Thanks again @clawnz

Fligh high your beautiful birds. I hope you are going ok.

Last edited:

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I searched for sprouting seeds and got a sampler from the sprout house. All organic and non Gmo.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank you so much for this! I would like to try. Similar temperature here at the moment. May i ask do you screw the lids on the glass jars or just put jars with no lids in box and then put the tray with cuts in it on as the lid?

Thanks again @clawnz

Flight high your beautiful birds. I hope you are going ok.

I do not use any lids at any time I let them breath, even in the fridge, I think they need to breath.
Way way back in my distant past when I used to sprout for salads I had a wire top lids and the jars were laid down with a slight slope towards the lids, so they drained all the time. Except the initial soaking.

The tray with the slits sits in the box so that any water can drain away from the sprouts, which sit on top of it so that they are not sitting in water.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Okay this hopefully doesn't come off as stupid or dumb but I am really curious about sprouting... .

I would like to know how to sprout... as an example would I just take a handful of my dry seed I purchased from a Local bird store (Cockateil Mix) into water, rinse and then soak for 12 hours and then rinse, drain and place in a zip lock bag and place in the fridge and serve within the next day or two?

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Never dumb. We can only learn by asking.
If your seed mix is good and not treated and nothing added, in any way it should sprout.
If you use a bag then be careful never seal it and make sure you drain well. And I would not try sprouting in the fridge. Too cold and stops growth.
But what to have said should work as soak seed.
I do know one guy that does use a plastic bag on a window sill to soak a soak and sprout mix for his 50 odd birds. and he does well. It is not something I would go with though.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I will say, I bought a boiSnacky jar and tried a sample of sprout mix I got free with an order from somewhere. It failed! It sprouted well, but smelled so horrible, I was scared to feed it. The directions said to soak 24 hrs, and then rinse 2x/day.

Then I saw this thread!

Went basic and bought a bag of mung beans and started all over. Rinsing 3 to 4x/day and used the ACV the last rinse. We have a great bunch of bean sprouts with no stink now! I will be trying the rest of the sample bag tonight and I did pick up some wheat berries and other seed from the natural foods store over the weekend to rotate.

Thank you for the helpful information and getting the Twin Terrors on the road to being healthier!

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
can you freeze sprouts and for how long? i also heard about drying them in the oven on a low temperature for a couple of hours, i's like to try this but don't know how this works exactly.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
can you freeze sprouts and for how long? i also heard about drying them in the oven on a low temperature for a couple of hours, i's like to try this but don't know how this works exactly.
Sorry never tried, but I don't see why they would not freeze. Air tight bag or vacuum pack first. I am not sure about drying them as that seems to be going away from why you would sprout in the first place.
These are only my opinions.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I will say, I bought a boiSnacky jar and tried a sample of sprout mix I got free with an order from somewhere. It failed! It sprouted well, but smelled so horrible, I was scared to feed it. The directions said to soak 24 hrs, and then rinse 2x/day.

Then I saw this thread!

Went basic and bought a bag of mung beans and started all over. Rinsing 3 to 4x/day and used the ACV the last rinse. We have a great bunch of bean sprouts with no stink now! I will be trying the rest of the sample bag tonight and I did pick up some wheat berries and other seed from the natural foods store over the weekend to rotate.

Thank you for the helpful information and getting the Twin Terrors on the road to being healthier!

Now that what we like to hear. I was picking out sprouts and eating them myself this morning while prepping their foods, And the Fids were watching waiting.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Yesterday I found a post on another group.
Where they were selling Sprouters and Sprout Mix. $35 for a couple of plastic cups! Whew! Really.

Anyway put cost to one side.
They were promoting using warm water for soaking and rinsing. Please do not follow this practice. I don't think this is good practice.
If you live anywhere you can grow seeds to plant outside, then I am fairly confident they will germinate without using warm water or any external heat.
Using warm water may well be why we hear so much about molds growing on the sprouts.

Bananerz

Meeting neighbors
I have some questions about sprouting :) First, my tiel is refusing to eat any seed/pellet mix now that I have her hooked on fresh foods (veggies, fruit, wheats, etc) so would a sprout and fresh food diet be enough to keep her healthy? (My guess is yes but I thought Id ask to be sure.)
And how much water do I use? Just enough to cover the seeds? (The picsarent showing up on my phone so I have no reference :/)
And aside from mungs, what are some of the healthiest/easiest things to sprout? I currently have lentils; Ive heard they can be toxic raw, also heard they arent; are they worth the bother?
Oh, one more! Can you use bags of seed/whatever from a regular grocery store? Ones without additives. Or are tjey too dried out or something? I ask because we dont have a whole foods or organic store here and the pet shops and feed store want nearly $10 for a small bag. But if I cant use ones from grocery stores Ill splurge for her, or just wait for an online order..

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Soak with just enough water to cover the first 12 hours. After that rinse until water is clear several times a day and drain. I have been using beans/grains from the grocery stores. My mung beans were from a bag of Bobs Red Mill. The rest I have been getting from the displays where you pour into a bag and pay by the pound. I have wheat berries starting to sprout now! There are also several websites that sell specifically for sprouting.