• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like it passed the security check :xflove:

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I just finished sprouting a new batch for my fids.

This is my sprouter:

The inner cup has drain holes and fits inside the outer cup which catches the drainage.

This is my mix:

I store it in the freezer to keep them fresh longer. They are organic, human grade sprouts that even my daughter loves to snack on.

First, I put about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sprouting mix in the sprouter and add twice as much water. Some seeds float.

I generally do this in the evening and let it soak for about 12 hours overnight. The next morning, I take the small cup out of the large and dump the water and then rinse the sprouts under cool running water in the sink. I use a plastic fork to swirl around the mix the make sure I get everything rinsed really well.

I swirl it around some more after rinsing to get the excess water out. I then set the inner cup back onto the outer cup, balanced in the notches in the outer cup so that air can flow under it, and put on a vented lid.

I rinse them three times a day for two days. After the last rinse, I make sure to drain as much water as I can and I spread the sprouts out in a container to let them dry overnight.

By the morning, they are ready to be put in the fridge and used for the next few days. That's it! Easy as can be.

Breakfast time! Of course, Foley is first. Budgies have to be first.

Doesn't take long for Athena to notice:

Coco waits until everyone else is done before he eats. He's such a gentleman.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thank You CStone.
Looks like you have it sorted.
Can you tell us where you got the cups from that you are using. Did you make them or buy!
If buy. Where from.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thanks Matt. Found them.
$40nz Ouch! $13.10us
We get burnt down here for a couple of plastic cups.
I will be sticking to my glass jars. Shame as they do seem like a great idea at a cheap price for those in America.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sorry, I should have linked it. Yes, it is the Easy Sprout and I love it. It is a shame you can't get it cheaper in NZ because it really does make sprouting a simple task. I spend no more than 10 minutes, spread out over two and a half days, making each batch and never have any go bad. I highly recommend it. :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have been busy. I knew what I wanted, but was not going to pay silly price for all the sprouters I could find here in NZ.
Shopping I found a fine mesh Fry Pan Splater guard $3. Next was a Clip It container and lid. These are standard down this way and cheap enough at $10 for the larger one I got.
Into workshop and grind slots into the base. Cut the fine mesh to fit into the container. Glued this in with silicon (Non Toxic) This did not bond with the plastic very well, so may have to sort this later.
The lower container is a smaller version. I drilled four holes and inserted four alloy rivets, so that the top box sits on them. Job Done. This is going to save so much time, over the way I have been doing it before. As rinsing is now a breeze.

The slots ground in the bottom.

The mesh inserted into the container.

The bottom container showing the four rivet placement.

The finished jobby.

A close up, but after rinsing I see most of the smaller sprouts have been washed below the bigger ones, so pic does not show the full range.
Will take another later.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm glad you came up with something without having to spend ridiculous amounts of money. Great job! It looks like it works wonderfully. :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Is this one worthy of becoming a Sticky?

Keep the posts coming. I love the fact that so many people have shared their own experience, problems and how they have solved them.
This Non Sticky thread has had 1,080 views in under two months.
And the feed back has been tops. This is encouraging more and more people to try their hands at sprouting.

We have had a very strange problem. Someone who has sprouted a bought mix before, has found this time around they smelled funny after just soaking. 24hrs, one rinse. I think they said. They did all the same things as before, and as per instructions on the packet.
This shorter time should not cause any problems with a good seed mix, and I would of thought to soon for any thing to show up from bad technique.
I have advised to go back to basics and sprout just one seed. If that works then try another batch. If that goes wrong again throw the whole batch away, after contacting the supplier.

My own sprouting is coming along very well. I now have found 20 seeds, grains, beans, peas. that sprout for me.

Mung beans
Adzuki beans
Wheat
Oats
Barley
Pumpkin seeds
Quinoa
Rape seeds
Sunflower seeds
Safflower seeds
Chick Peas
Maple Peas
Blue Peas
Black Sesame seeds
Grass seeds
Maize
Buck Wheat
Lentils
Panicum (Millet)
Radish

I had Sophie, Alex, Pearl, Gabby, Indy and Bubbles all waiting for their sprouts this morning. I am sure Zinny was there somewhere?
Sprouts have become a big part of their morning ritual, over the last few weeks. Which has to be good for them all.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Since I have been sprouting Tyrion is becoming a sprout lover but Im still working on Loki ...;)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Well I have to report a fail.
The stainless steel mesh I used in the bottom of the box is not good quality and has stained black. And I was correct the silicon did not stick the the container either. Threw that away.
Back to the drawing board. Trying to drill holes in another box I cracked it. This time around I broke the tiny drill only a third of the way through. But it looks like it is going to work.
Also dropped the lower box with rivets and made one with rods through it, just in case the pins in the rivets rust.
Will get some new photos up later, when I have finished.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that it works well for you.

Matt

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Go Clive! :dance4:

I had a failure with Quinoa... it was only a couple of months out of date. Got some new grain and wooohooo, success! A very quick sprouter - overnight! Also had success with Sesame seed so added that to the mix. Strangely slower than the Quinoa - thought it would be as fast. The birds are accepting the smaller seeds creeping into the mix...

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm starting to sprout some mung beans in my easy sprouter tonite :) wish me luck!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
It is all good. Solved the problems.

I have made another adjustment and drilled a row of larger holes along one side of the box for better drainage. The small holes are 1mm drilled then run a hot needle through them to clear any plastic. But found they were still not draining that well.

Double stacking.
Top box is the last of the Soak & Sprout mix.
Bottom box is the next lot of my mix. Still a day or two off.
Both boxes have drain holes, which you can see in the second pic.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You have a nice variety of ingredients in your mix shown in the last picture.

Matt