• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Easy or Complicated?

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
If you see any growth from the Mung Beans they are ready to serve.
The Garbanzo beans may need a little longer. Just keep rinsing and see.
I take it you have these in separate jars to the Mung Beans.
What are your local temps like?
It could be the beans were treated if they were imported. Or they could be old.
I am really just guessing things right now. But hope some of this will help.

Fatgirl

Sprinting down the street
If you see any growth from the Mung Beans they are ready to serve.
The Garbanzo beans may need a little longer. Just keep rinsing and see.
I take it you have these in separate jars to the Mung Beans.
What are your local temps like?
It could be the beans were treated if they were imported. Or they could be old.
I am really just guessing things right now. But hope some of this will help.

Thanks for the reply :)

Everything is in seperate jars, the temps in my kitchen usually range from 22c with the AC on and 33c without the AC. They are local beans all of them and they seem to be new, I purchased them and right away started my process. So I can feed my lovies the mung beans? Cause they love sprouts and im excited to do it myself its the more safer option. Also what should buckwheat look like when its sprouted. Mine just look like soft mushy buckwheat.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Great that you can get things locally.
So they should not give you any grief in that area.
I must admit that is getting warm all right. So would of thought the Mung Beans would start to sprout on day two.
Yep to the Mung beans From the first signs of growth to when the tails are 1/2in. Beyond that they are past their prime.
The Buckwheat should also show little tails when they sprout. keep an eye on them and I would consider rinsing with a vinegar solution.
Smell, feel, and taste. If in any doubt throw away and try again. As it is so warm you could try sprouting at ground level, it maybe cooler down there.
The heat is going to be your enemy I feel.
You are doing right in my mind keeping things in separate jars for now any way.

Fatgirl

Hey there, I was wondering how many times a week is it ok to feed them sprouted mung beans and lentils and normal cooked quinoa with some fresh veggies

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I am guessing it depends on what birds you are feeding and what else they get.
Keep all things in moderation. I do not think feeding them part of their diet everyday is an issue.
In my own case feeding out for Eclectus, Alexandrine, and the Tiels I feed out the sprout mix (20) or the Soak & Sprout everyday.
I do put out fresh fruit & veg. Greens can be Dandelion, Sow thistle, Silverbeet, kale, grasses in seed. And as it is spring they are also getting Bottlebrush, Paperbark gum, both in flower right now. And I did give a bunch of Rose Hips to them. As they are not caged, but fly free in the bird room or aviary they choose what they forage for. Normally they go for the fresh sprouts. But yesterday the Tiels loved getting into fresh Bottlebrush in flower and wet from the rain. They only got some of these fresh two days before, so was watching to see how they reacted to more fresh.

Fatgirl

Thanks for the response :) im still trying to get my lovebirds into fruits as they won't have any. They prefer sprouts and grains and veggies more.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have one question about hemp seed.
Why not soak and sprout them?

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have one question about hemp seed.
Why not soak and sprout them?
For us in the USA it is illegal to possess live hemp seeds. Other than that there is no reason not to.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For us in the USA it is illegal to possess live hemp seeds. Other than that there is no reason not to.
Aha! Sad because that is one of the best protein and Omega 3 and 6 sources I use.
In Sweden it's only illegal to make them grow up as plants. To sprout them for 1 day is fine. :)
So to eat them is fine, :) to smoke them, not! :bignono:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have made to much sprouts. Can i freeze some?

Not Ideal, but yes you can freeze them. Try to vacuum pack them, or at least get as much air out of the bag before you seal.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Does anyone have a list of there favorite seeds and nuts they buy Im going shopping today and want to buy something different for the fids :)

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Personally I take a decided amount of seed mix place it in a tupperware container. Add about 2-4 tablespoons of ACV depending on the amount of seeds and and size of container. Fill the container up with water and soak for 12-36 hours depending on when they were started. Rinse 2-4 times a day for 3 days from the first rinse. I do not add any additional ACV and have had no problems sprouting this way. I also will add warm water during winter as my house gets COLD to the point you can see your breath so during the rinse cycles I usually put the sprouting seeds near the heat lamp I have for the birds to keep the seeds from freezing/dying.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
"I also will add warm water during winter as my house gets COLD to the point you can see your breath so during the rinse cycles I usually put the sprouting seeds near the heat lamp I have for the birds to keep the seeds from freezing/dying."

If you have a fridge, check the warm air coming up from the motor unit, at the top back area of the fridge. This may save you using warm water.

Just had another thought.
Do you have a heat pad that goes under a hospital box. With a bit of messing around you could use one of these. And with a temp gage you could work out the min temp needed. As too much heat same as warm water could possibly cause an issue. In your case it sounds like you have it under control, so no worries.

Last edited:

redbarnmacaw

As part of feeding fresh. Sprouts are an important part of this.
I.E. Serving soak seed and sprouts means you are feeding live foods.
This is a big bonus as they do not go off in the food tray, they will keep on growing.
Sprouting good seed, grains, peas, and beans, can cover a lot of a birds needs, in a natural food. And the vitamins, minerals, and trace elements are natural.
What does this mean. It means the birds body can deal with these in much better ways than manufactured ones.
What can you sprout?

The above is a good guide. Not complete by any means. There are many other things that will sprout.

WARNING: Some beans are not suitable. This is a little complicated, so please check before using any of them.
Exceptions: Mung Beans which are a top bean, and only lack Vit A.

Is it complicated? No!

Do I need to buy any special sprouting items? No! I use just a few jars, one lid I drilled holes in it. For the smaller seeds I use a strainer. See Pics.

Can I store them. Yes! But only for a few days in the fridge, and rinse them, preferably in ACV mix, every day. They do need to be drained and not left sitting in water, which will go cloudy, and may turn your sprouts. So this is a little more complicated. I will show you what I use, below.

What are the dangers? I hear so much said about this. So lets look at why!
Buying sprouts from the supermarket. A: These are past their prime. B: They may of been treated to help them look fresh. Don't Buy or use these.
Old Stale things you try to sprout will go moldy in the soaking.
Using Dirty Water, will cause a problem.
Failing to rinse often enough will cause a problem.
Trying to keep them over a few days, can cause a problem.

I used to sprout Mung Beans mainly with a few others now and then. Why! I have never seen a problem and have sprouted them for many years. Only ever sprouted enough for a few days and only served them from soak to tails just over the half inch long. Then threw any left away. But as I have more birds and I wanted to add variety, looked to step things up.
I looked at what was available here in NZ. The bird Barn do their own. Not sure what they list in them. Top Flight do what seems a good Soak & Sprout mix. The only things that put me off. Was price. And the Kibbled things in this. I mean anything kibbled is not there as a sprout is it.
But they were good enough to give me a full list.
So I went shopping, and shopping. Now I know most if not all produce coming in to the country is treated in some way or another, to sanitize. This can effect the viability for them to grow. Plus old stale stuff will not sprout or at least be very poor germination.
So I decided to start of instead of using a total mix, I would sprout each in different jars, so that if any were not going to work I could throw away.
I did find Soy Beans, but after a bit of research dumped them. Not worth the risk. Probably ok in small amounts. But there are plenty of known good seeds to use.

Cockatiel Seed mix. I know this is a good one as it comes from my wholesale, fresh as, and sprouts well.
Sunflower
Safflower
Wheat
Hulled Oats
Whole Oats
Barley
Pumpkin seed
Rape seed
Cockatiel seed mix (I know this is good and fresh seed mix)
Blue peas
Maple peas
Grass seed (This is as per lawn grass seed mix)
Mung beans
Maize
Adzuki beans.
Quinoa

I did try Flax. But it turns into a gooey mess. I am told you can rinse the goop off and it will sprout. But not worth the effort. SO I just use it fresh and sprinkle in the mix at serving time or add the their seed mix.
Yes I do feed a good amount of seed. But note I do add things to there basic mix. And it is important to note most seed mixes are very basic with sometimes only 5 different seeds in that mix.

Lets start with the Flax Goop

The first lot I used a plastic bag to mix them all up, rinse and drain.

Here is an example of why you need to rinse. These were ok but if they had been left they would of gone off. This was when I went to rinse in the morning, I took the photo to show that the water can go cloudy. Always rinse until the water stays clear.

The first serving. They were just starting to sprout.

And my Red Head enjoying them. What a great food tray ash trays make! and you can see the filter I removed from a strainer on this shot.

She likes them so much she will follow me around in the mornings watching and waiting. As soon as I put them out she is there.
I am on batch three and have cut down the amount of jars now. I know that they are all good.
I still use different jars as somethings take longer to germinate, so start them a day or two early for each mix. I do not feed these seven days a week. they get a break from them before I do the next lot.
I even got to see Alex and the Tiels getting stuck in, but I have to put these out in a separate tray, so they do not disturb Sophie. If I have missed anything please ask.

Thank you! I was trying to save the sprouting ring I just don't know how to on this iPad. I've seen it but always tiny and I couldn't read it! Thanks for the great article!

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have had to sort my sprouting trays out. The plastic containers I drilled holes in keep blocking up making rinsing a very real pain.
So have looked around and got two strainers and just sit them in a stainless bowl to drain.
Other than that things have gone very well. And it it one of the first foods the guys go for in the morning feeds.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think this thread should be sticky. :)