• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She's really angry and I want to help her

Nazaret

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nazaret
Hi!

I have a green cheek conure baby that's 4 months and a half old more or less, I have her since she's been 20 days old so I basically raised her. I have other types of birds in my house and we are aware of everything and how to give them the best life ever.

She's very cheerful and curious, I love her with my entire heart. But recently she's kinda molting, I saw that it's normal and it happens. The thing is, she usually bites a lot but when she was younger it was easier to teach her to be more gentle sometimes. Lately she bites really hard and even if she's being cuddly. I think she's in pain because of molting and that's why she bites really hard. Of course it hurts and it makes me to not want to be with her when she's being that way but I don't think she wants to hurt me, we love each other so much.

So I really want to know how I can help her o teach her to be a little more gentle even though I know conures are kinda angry when they are molting and I don't have a problem with that, I accept her with everything. But I really want to help her and teach her how to be more gentle and know limits. Is there any form that you guys have with your green cheek conures that helped?

She's very stubborn and want things done in her own way, so I saw that being gentle with my voice didn't help, but I don't want to be aggressive or yell at her, I don't like that kind of things, I think they are horrible. Is there a way that I can help her and teach her better? I usually bath her sometimes to help her with molting since is getting colder so I'm aware of her health.

Please help me, I want the best for her and I also appreciate my hands and my body hahahhah

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to do some training if she bites put her down on a bird safe area and tell her no biting and repeat.
At this age they are very curious and like to explore with there beak so consistant training will be needed to stop her.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
This is not about training, however moisture from bathing can help greatly with how uncomfortable molting is.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree, when my green cheek was biting, as soon as she bit me I would set her down on the closest safe surface, say "no" firmly, give her a mean face, and turn my back and walk away.

They are still learning our language, but body language is harder to misinterpret.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everyone's already offered mentioned great advice on training and baths so I won't repeat

My boy is 5 months and still going through his first molt too. What I have found that helps make him less nippy is to have lots and lots of shredding material and toys and lots of foraging activities for my bird to destroy/do when outside his cage. His current favorites to chew/destroy are mahogany pods, balsa, cork and sola

I find it really helps keep helps his nippiness down when he has other stuff to focus on and distract him from his molting discomfort