• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sexing a Parakeet.

Male or female?

• Male

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Squiggles

Moving in
Real Name
Shannon
I just joined here today. :)
I adopted a parakeet from my work not long ago that was severely bullied by the other birds. At the time he had no butt feathers. :( I ended up nursing him back and then started to bond with him at work. After that I ended up just taking him home.

Unfortunatly I am very unsure of his age. I know we had him for roughly 2-3 months and I have had him about the same amount of time at home. I wanna say hes about 6 months? He's quite the little character. Not too chatty but hes been trying to mimic kissing noises. He also hates the sound of paper crackling because he will SCREAM. :lol:

All that aside I'm wondering about his sex.. the cere above his nose isnt too clear yet but it does look blue.. but I also know that can change pretty quick. I've noticed its starting to look alittle purple. Im just looking for second opinions. I took 2 pictures, one in a more natural light. Any ideas?

Last edited:

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
It is hard to tell from the pics so not sure but it looks like a male. Look at the area above the beak where the nostril holes are. If it is pinkish/tan in color it is female and if it is blueish in colr it is a male.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
100% male.

@BirdManDan your information is not correct. Males can have a vibrant bright blue or solid pink, depending on mutation. Females do not have pink ceres. In fact they are usually blue too - but a very pale blue, nearly white, turning tan to brown during breeding condition.

Squiggles

Moving in
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you. :) Thats very helpful.

100% male.

@BirdManDan your information is not correct. Males can have a vibrant bright blue or solid pink, depending on mutation. Females do not have pink ceres. In fact they are usually blue too - but a very pale blue, nearly white, turning tan to brown during breeding condition.
It is hard to tell from the pics so not sure but it looks like a male. Look at the area above the beak where the nostril holes are. If it is pinkish/tan in color it is female and if it is blueish in colr it is a male.
Also thank you guys for your opinions. I'm atleast 80% sure hes a boy but I guess we shall see.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
You don't need to have any uncertainty. It is without any doubt a little male budgie. Females would never have a cere like this in any mutation.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
First pic looks male as its pretty dark blue. Young females can have a whitish blue cere.
Bird is pretty young (4 to 6 mo?)as it still has some bars on its forehead.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
He is GORGEOUS!

When I went away for graduate school, many moons ago, the only pet my apartment landlords would allow were birds. I went out and purchased from a local pet store, the sweetest bird I've ever owned. And he was my first. I named him, "Fabio". 80's reference. He lived a long life for a budgie, and accompanied me on at least two major moves when I was a young adult.

He looked a lot like your little man .

Last edited:

Squiggles

Moving in
Real Name
Shannon
He is GORGEOUS!

When I went away for graduate school, many moons ago, the only pet my apartment landlords would allow were birds. I went out and purchased from a local pet store, the sweetest bird I've ever owned. And he was my first. I named him, "Fabio". 80's reference. He lived a long life for a budgie, and accompanied me on at least two major moves when I was a young adult.

He looked a lot like your little man .
That's too cute. :)
I'm hoping my little guy lives nice and long. I just got him to finally eat his pellets and fruit/veg. My little guy is named Bean.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a little doll Bean is @Squiggles ! Welcome to both of you.