• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender ID Guide by Cere Color & Age

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
See you can teach an old dog new tricks. Can you tell I'm a big bird person which are mostly monomorphic. But in my defense I was told if cere tan-pink female and blueish male. Good to know correct info now, Thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The very first view of both male and female at one month of age look so much alike. Gender ID is best done at a later age as you know.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I have a feeling Pi was very young when I got him at the petshop. We had him misgendered until just recently when his ceres really started to change! Ah well :) At least his name is gender neutral lol! Great post!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I usually think of them as easy to tell apart even when very young, but my little one, now 5 months old, had everyone stumped until she was at least 4 months old.
The breeder and I thought she was probably a male, although I was never too certain. I think just about everyone here thought male, too. But she is now definitely female, going by behavior (no talking, loves to bite/chew), as well as an almost-white cere.

As a baby:
12 003.JPG

And at about 4 months (sorry it doesn't show here cere better but she is female for sure)
aprlate 005.JPG

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mickey was a male per breeder who claims he had a success rate of 95% sexing budgies when young. As everyone knows now Mickey is very much female. Some can really fool us for a while. Breeder actually gave me a 50% refund for his error. @karen256 Love the baby photo.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mickey at a young age with a rather dark cere. P1020303.jpg