• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seasonal plucker, bad molt or low humidity?

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Hi everyone,

I have a hybrid Jenday/Nanday conure who for the last 3-4 years has been going through what I assumed was a bad molt.
Starts around September/October and goes sometimes through April. Then his new feathers come in and he’s a happy bird through summer. We moved from Louisiana to Oregon and about a year after moving the “bad molt” started. We have a wood burning stove in our house which I now know can significantly dry out the house so I’ve added a humidifier to his room. I’ve also got him started on the vetomega supplement in addition to flax on his food. He still seems itchy though and I would love any input on supplements to add or additional things to try. I really am hoping it’s not a plucking/mutilating behavior! Seems like if it was it would persist year round though…
Thoughts?
Thank you

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could he be removing feathers that have faint smoke/soot residue on them? I have experienced this with foster birds, and when removed from pellet stove of wood burning households the plucking and feather damaging has ceased.

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
That could be a possibility… Unfortunately we just went through a snow storm and with the power out we had to rely on the wood stove, but we will try to lay off of it for a bit to see if that helps. When we’re initially lighting the fire we try to keep Gumbo far away, but I guess there could be smoke still in the atmosphere. Thanks for the input!