• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quiet room for birds?

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I read an article on parrots, as I usually do, but then it mentioned sleep rooms for parrots. While I don't remember it saying that it was necessary, I remember people saying that they do give their parrots a designated place to sleep. Huh. I haven't thought about where to put my future bird at night, as there are times where I need to work late into the night, or even wee hours of the mornin'.

I have a guest room that's currently empty, but we have family that uses that room about two to three times a year as visits. I don't know where else I'd put the bird at night when family visits. The family room, I suppose, however, it is completely open to what is around it and I fear that my future bird would wake up from my clumsy tip-toeing.

So for those who don't have the luxury of tucking their birds away at night in their own, private room, where do you put your birds in at night? Though, I welcome all posts! I just want to gain a perspective on things. :)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Well we've only just had the luxury of renting a two bedroom house. Before it was always just 1 bedroom apartments, or even a single bedroom in a larger house! Our birds have always stayed in the main living space, and so are subjected to late-night movies, video games, get togethers with friends, etc on a near daily basis. Even now, the extra bedroom is the "bird room" but our flock is split in two, so one bird still lives in the living room.

They are all covered with heavy blankets between 6-7pm and I can usually hear them chattering sleepily or beak grinding for the next half hour. Then silence. No one naps excessively or seems overly cranky so I only have to assume they are able to ignore the ambient noise. It could very well depend on the bird though so YMMV.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
The cockatiels are in the bedroom and Puffy gets put in the little laundry/storage area. Both have ambient noise (air purifier/radio). Puffy used to sleep in the living room, but any noise and light would bother him and he'd whine and shuffle around occasionally :(

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I have a room for the birds. They used to stay in the living room until bedtime and then went into the spare room to get their full 12 hours of dark and quiet. I know when I had to sleep in the bird room with them for a month or so when we first moved they could hear me walk on the carpet and wake up so I definitely think a separate sleep space is best.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I have a room for the birds. They used to stay in the living room until bedtime and then went into the spare room to get their full 12 hours of dark and quiet. I know when I had to sleep in the bird room with them for a month or so when we first moved they could hear me walk on the carpet and wake up so I definitely think a separate sleep space is best.
Yeah, the cockatiels are very light sleepers. They greet me with soft little "peekaboo"s and "hey birdie"s when I click the door open, even at 4am. :laugh: It doesn't seem to bother them though!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Yeah, the cockatiels are very light sleepers. They greet me with soft little "peekaboo"s and "hey birdie"s when I click the door open, even at 4am. :laugh: It doesn't seem to bother them though!
that's adorable!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A "dark" sleep place is what they really need. "Quiet" does not really work. In that case "any" noise is gong to be alarming and set off the "trigger". A dark place with fairly loud "white noise" is what gives them the best most restful sleep. The bigger and more intelligent the parrot, the better it works.

A sleep room can be a well ventilated closet or a spare bathroom. It only has to be big enough to hold the sleep cage which also doesn't need to be that big. Parrots do not roost in the same place they forage, play, hangout. This also provides that separation of environments.

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
This is one of the things I really wish I could provide for Kanji. We have to share a room, so when I get home from work he gets covered, except for the bottom couple inches on one side of his cage. I've noticed that if he hears me eating a snack after work, he will climb down to his bowl for a snack of his own. And he definitely moves around a bit if I want to watch Netflix or play a video game for a while before I go to bed.

But he doesn't seen too tired or cranky during the day if all I do after work is read, or if I use headphones. Maybe someday I'll have a place where he can have his own room, but we seem to be making it work the way it is.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
A "dark" sleep place is what they really need. "Quiet" does not really work. In that case "any" noise is gong to be alarming and set off the "trigger". A dark place with fairly loud "white noise" is what gives them the best most restful sleep. The bigger and more intelligent the parrot, the better it works.

A sleep room can be a well ventilated closet or a spare bathroom. It only has to be big enough to hold the sleep cage which also doesn't need to be that big. Parrots do not roost in the same place they forage, play, hangout. This also provides that separation of environments.
yeah an austin air on high works well for noise blocking. I have one in the bird room and one in my room so I can sleep despite the loud as ____ cat that lives in our house, lol.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
We have had many different arrangements and they have all worked. I am thankful that Kai has adjusted to each one of them. He started off with two separate cages. His night cage was in a spare bedroom all to his self and I played white noise for him. Then when we moved there was no spare room so I used a closet in one of my kids bedrooms. That got ruined when my mom went in there one night and scared the living S**T out of him. So then we had to adjust to him using his big day cage covered in the middle of the living room. The only reason that worked was because we usually were all in bed and lights out by 9pm. Then we moved again and he was moved to our bedroom and he has been there ever since. As long as he is covered and the white noise is on he is fine. We cover him at 730 each night and there is still activity in and out of the room but no TV or anything. Kids and husband are up by 530 showering and getting ready and in and out of my room but it doesnt seem to bother him. He doesnt get uncovered until 7am. I think the cover and the white noise are the key. But I am not sure it would work as well if it were in the middle of the living room because there is too much activity way past 10pm these days.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds sleep in a bedroom closet with curtains covering their cages and the doors left a little open. The room itself is very dark. They never make a peep, even when we get up or have to sneak in to get something. Our house is small, but they are used to all of our noises, so they are not bothered. They love going to bed, and I think it's important for them to have a nice, dark, fairly quiet place to sleep. Our humidifier or air purifier gives off some white noise too.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Do birds need 12 hours of darkness, and 12 hours of light? I know that it's different by the owner, but I recognize that some let the bird go through seasonal changes and whatnot by not covering them at all, and am curious as to what your take is.

I have a walk in closet that has it's own vent and is comfortable enough for even me to spend time in. Would that work? I didn't think of closets until now, or even the bathroom!

We've had quiet places and not had them over the years. I think birds are like us, they can adjust to anything.
I wish more people said that birds can adjust.

----------

All in all, I'm absolutely fascinated with the fact that so many people have birds in their bedrooms or main living areas at night. I read so many horror stories of birds not being able to adjust, needing their perfect rest, etc. But now with this, I'm quite happy. I'm feeling more confident about birds being...birds. Animals that we love and cherish with the ability to adapt to various circumstances.

Thank you, AA! This forum has made me come to realize how first-hand experience is worth it's weight in gold, if not priceless!!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Here's some info on why they need 10-12 hours of sleep. It's down past the lighting info.
Providing the Right Light | Arizona Exotics | Birds, -Cockatiels, -Cockatoos, -Macaws, -Parakeets, -Parrots Resources
I cover mine and use blackout curtains to ensure they don't wake from the sun before getting their full sleep. I have mostly hens so it is very important they get minimum 12 hours of darkness because not enough can trigger hormonal responses among other things. They hear everything so that's why I leave the air purifier on high to drown out any sounds that may come from the house.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Here's some info on why they need 10-12 hours of sleep. It's down past the lighting info.
Providing the Right Light | Arizona Exotics | Birds, -Cockatiels, -Cockatoos, -Macaws, -Parakeets, -Parrots Resources
I cover mine and use blackout curtains to ensure they don't wake from the sun before getting their full sleep. I have mostly hens so it is very important they get minimum 12 hours of darkness because not enough can trigger hormonal responses among other things. They hear everything so that's why I leave the air purifier on high to drown out any sounds that may come from the house.
OH! Thank you so much!

And... I know this question has probably been asked many, many, many times before me, but is UVB light in the home essential? I live in the Northwest right now, and there are sometimes good days, and sometimes bad days. It's back and forth. Wouldn't a day out in the sun be good for the bird, and then inside when it's too cold? Do the parrots require a UVB light? Also, would placing them next to a window be of help? I read that windows block out most UVB rays that parrots need, but honestly, I would rather hear that from AA or an avian vet.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway

Olivia sleeps in a smaller cage in the closet with an air cleaner for white noise and a red night light.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
OH! Thank you so much!

And... I know this question has probably been asked many, many, many times before me, but is UVB light in the home essential? I live in the Northwest right now, and there are sometimes good days, and sometimes bad days. It's back and forth. Wouldn't a day out in the sun be good for the bird, and then inside when it's too cold? Do the parrots require a UVB light? Also, would placing them next to a window be of help? I read that windows block out most UVB rays that parrots need, but honestly, I would rather hear that from AA or an avian vet.
I think yes UVB light is essential for optimal health, we use the avian sun lamps. A window will provide light and outside stimulation but because of the coatings on the glass no UV rays. A day out in the sun I think is good for everyone!!

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
If I may, what is the red night light for?
The red light is so Olivia can see and the reason that it is red is because it is the best color for sleep, based on the science of sleep. They say alarm clocks should have red letters and night light bulbs should be red.

Red Bulbs
Interestingly, red wavelengths of light are most conducive to sleep. Try installing red (or even pink) bulbs in your bedroom, or use a red Christmas-tree bulb in any nightlights or reading lamps you use before bed.

here is a link sorry the article isn't very good
Choosing Light Bulbs for Optimal Sleep | Sleep.Org

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Since I go to school in the mornings and usually stay up til right around midnight, by birdies don't go to bed until I do. Then they get their 12 hours in the morning and I uncover them after coming home from my last class. It's a bit adjusted and weird, but it works for us and it doesn't make them cranky. I cover their cages, and they have white noise from the space heater in the winter as well as the humidifier.