• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions and Queries from a new bird owner.

CosmoKram

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggie
Hi! My name is Maggie. Just yesterday I picked up my first bird ever, an 8 week old hand raised suspected male cockatiel named Cosmo. He is absolutely amazing. Even though i have only really had him for a day and a half he is very affectionate and loves being pat. I just have a couple concerns. When did your cockatiel start making noises and talking, cause he is very quiet even though he seems quite comfortable? Another thing I am worried about is that he does not really move much in the cage. While outside he moves around, plays with toys and flaps his wings. But I have put him in his cage and come back an hour later and he seems to be in the same spot. He did recently get his wings clipped but he is still eating, drinking and pooping fine. Pretty much if he is in his cage he is sleeping even during the day. I have noticed his lower stomach, like near his feet shaking, I read this was a sign they were getting ready to sleep but idk? I do not know he is a baby maybe I am worrying over nothing.
thank you
I maybe overacting.
image1.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your baby sounds a little nervous to me. All birds will be different in the amount of time they take to warm up to new surroundings and find their confidence to be loud and cheeky. I don’t think it sounds like anything to worry about given the short time he’s been with you at your home.

Edit:- I forgot to say.......
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:
:congrats5: on your first feather friend!

CosmoKram

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggie
Your baby sounds a little nervous to me. All birds will be different in the amount of time they take to warm up to new surroundings and find their confidence to be loud and cheeky. I don’t think it sounds like anything to worry about given the short time he’s been with you at your home.

Edit:- I forgot to say.......
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:
:congrats5: on your first feather friend!
He’s been beak grinding a lot?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Beak grinding is usually a sign of a fairly content bird. Give him some time to settle in and you’ll see some personality.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
:cngrt5:Welcome to the avenue Maggie and Cosmo!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1: Welcome to AA and
:congrats5: On your new little feathered friend. He’s quite the cutie!:heart: Everything you mention sounds fairly normal for a new bird to me also.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and congratulations!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Your tiel is super cute. Give him time to settle in. Also, keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating okay. 8 weeks is a little young and sometimes newly weaned tiels will regress. Also, baby tiels tend to be very clumsy. So he may be having trouble moving around in his cage. You might want to lower his perches for awhile and put his food and water in place he can easily reach. Is he just sleepy when he's in his cage? A bird being tired and puffed up can be a sign of illness.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
They do nap pretty often throughout the day. Sleeping all the time is a sign of illness(not playingat all).

They also shiver in the belly when they are a little cold or scared. My tiel shivers there sometimes even if it’s warm in the home, so don’t be alarmed. It usually stops quickly if they are on your warm hand.

My female tiel took about three months to become more vocal. Males might be different. Female tiels don’t vocalize much.

When they are young they love to explore and play. This is a great time to introduce him to new foods like vegetables.

DuduBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jamie
Henlo~Maggie and Cosmo. Me and my partner are first-time owners of a 8 weeks old 'tiel as well. We had our Dudu Bird for about 4 days now. All you described there sounds very much similar to our bird's behaviour. I am glad that you shared your story, and people's comments. They made me feel quite relieved as well! Best wishes to you and Cosmo!