• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking or molting???

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Thankyou, i hope the best for her too! The saltwater may have helped but i hope we get some medecine for her ti help it heal, i have no idea what cuased this so i hope we will get an answer why

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Hey everyone! Ive got home from the vet now and she got three medications and she had to get anasthesia to clean her wound, she also got a soft collar to prevent her from Scratching , the cuase was becuase of a feather that irritaded her skin so she chewed on it, so she will get used to the collar in a week, the medication was metacam, antibiotics, and a antibotic cream for her wound! Now she needs to rest from the visit and i will give her medecine in a few hours!

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
How do you give your bird antibiotic without choking? Like safely medicate your bird to avoid choking

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
For little ones , I wrap in a wash cloth burrito.
I mix the medicine in with a little made up baby bird formula. If as an an example if the medication is 0.02 ml, I add it to the made up formula to make a total of 0.25 ml . I draw up a the meds first in the syringe then draw up the formula in the syringe, then sort of Rock it back and forth in the syringe . I hold the bird head upright, and give slowly at beak tip.
Having the meds thickened up a little with the formula helps reduce the chances of choke or aspiration.

If there are more than one medication due at the same time, I ask the vet if these medications can be put together in the same syringe with the little bit of formula. I try to keep the mix of meds and formula under 1 ml total for little birds. I use a 1 cc or tuberculin syringe.

For birds thst are a little larger like my GCC or bigger, who are trusting and tolerant. I have everything ready , I have them stand on a wash cloth, I put my left hand on their back , with thumb and pointer finger on each shoulder to hold them gently in place , head free. I offer the syringe ( 1 cc size it 3 cc size ) with the meds and made up baby bird formula at beak tip and give slowly.

Sometimes I will use applesauce in the syringe instead of formula. But I always keep baby bird formula on hand , ever since my clymadia crises a few years ago. Plus it's complete nutrition, easy to digest, has probiotics already in it , and most sick ones need a little calories boost anyway.

I have also used a tiny pinch of bread to soak up meds , if they will eat that .

I'm so glad you hit her in , and all the help she needs to get better! I hope all goes smoothly and she all fixed up soonest !

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Thankyou so much!! She seems to be recovering fast from the anetsheshia! I hope so too , ive been to this vet clinic before and i think it is so much better there than the other vet i have been in this year, they did a really good job with her! I gave her her meds and she did not choke on the antibiotics i was very gentle and i read right inow that you can push the antibiotics slowly and gently on her right side of the beak!

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Hey guys, a little uptdate! The last days its been going well but this morning my bird managed to pick at a little bloodclot on her preengland, and it bled a little just a drop, she still has her collar on so im a bit confused becuase its suposed to not make her reach her back, but anyway we gave her her medication after that, ive seen now that her wound seems to be a bit yellowish and moist, so i think it is healing

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Such a cutie. I'm sorry she could reach the wound with collar....dang
Hopefully those will the collar experience can advice if needs to be bigger

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
Ive called the vet today and told about what happend, but she did not pick at her deep wound, this was a very minor bleeding, they told me if she reaches it agin she will have to change her collar to a big plastic one, cuase birds are their own enemy for this

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It definitely is! I hope you can get her past the first few days of wanting to pick at it. Then the pain and discomfort will go down , hopefully helping her loose interest in picking st it.

Very good job to check in with vet and let her know the developmentd.

Good luck little tiny one! Feel better soon!

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
A little update, i have not felt that the collar is that helpful, we got a new one yesterday becuse she bit up the Ola one and it was storting to come off, anyway, ive seen that she has picked off some scab parts on her wound, but not any bleeding. She still manages to reach the area and i dont kniv what i can do becuse i dont know if the wound hurts still or she is trying to preen herself

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Scabs usually become itchy as the skin underneath heals. That’s probably why she’s trying to pick at the scabs. Personally I’d leave the collar on until at least the scabs fall off - then consult the vet again. The collar might not stop her picking but will make it more difficult, giving the area a better chance of healing.

Just reading back… would they have a slightly bigger collar to try?

Last edited:

Suzzi

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Josefin
They say they have ones that look like dvd players they are realyy big, but we talked to our vet this monday and they said that we should just send another picture on monday, but they did say that it looked better! Im just worried that she would ruin the healing process

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
New collar look better fit .
Keep giving us these updates! Can't wait for her to be all healed up

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month