• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please share your experience

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Hello everyone. I wish my first thread would be a happier one, but it’s not.
I own a beautiful yellow cockatiel -Walad and Indian ringneck- Zazu.
so three days ago I started noticing some bald spots on Zazu’s head above the nostrils. I thought it was because of hanging on the cage bars and trying to chew on them(he doesn’t enjoy staying in the cage). But the day after I realized that his whole head is losing feathers, so I ran my fingers through his head and 5 (!) little feathers fell at the same time.
i went to the vet today, and he was blaming all of this on the red mites (although it was my cockatiel who had them and after cleansing, I didn’t see any mites around for a week now). My cockatiel doesn’t have the same issue, so I doubt that would be the cause of his (zazu’s ) feather loss. I insisted we check Zazu on metal poisoning and PBFD. They found something on the x-ray, but The vet claims all birds x-rays will show something in their crop,so he doesn’t think it’s the poisoning. We’ll still be sending Zazu’s blood for zinc.
Has anyone faced a similar problem?
his behavior is normal, except for head scratching. The loss is mainly there and i noticed “worn-out” feathers falling from his body. Please note he’s only 3.5 months old so it can’t be a molt. Shall i expect the worst and get ready for PBFD?
i will attach pictures. 1st is 3 days ago and the last picture is today. He already has a completely bald patch on his head. 4F92B530-04F2-4764-A7C7-DC9221C05425.jpeg 72CE6173-0B96-4784-99B9-027C1B35B730.jpeg

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I dont know much but I do know that an Indian ringnecks beak should be red how old is the bird.
@Hankmacaw
@cassiesdad
@Zara
These people will know more than me hopefully they can help you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You’ve already had mites. That would be the biggest suspect in my mind.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
I dont know much but I do know that an Indian ringnecks beak should be red how old is the bird.
@Hankmacaw
@cassiesdad
@Zara
These people will know more than me hopefully they can help you.
I believe he was deficient when born, so his beak didn’t turn red for some reason. The vet think he’ll eventually get the red beak.
i’m having health issues with this poor guy ever since he was gifted to me as a month old baby. He’s 3.5 month old now and i had to visit the vet around 5-6 times by now. First it was a respiratory infection, then I found mites on my cockatiel’s cage, and now this feather loss.

Last edited:

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
You’ve already had mites. That would be the biggest suspect in my mind.
They’ve sprayed my birds with a special spray a week before this feather loss started. Also after finding the mites, i threw cockatiel’s cage, cleaned Zazu’s cage with bleach and hot water and now my cockatiel is staying there, and bought a brand new one for Zazu. Didn’t find any mites after the cleaning session, that’s why i’m really confused.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Are there any other symptoms
His behavior seems pretty normal. He’s a very active birdie. He still plays around the house, enjoys flying, eats as usual and training sessions are his favorite to earn a treat (he likes pears). He’s itching his head excessively :( i wonder if it could be an allergy. He only eats pellets, vegetables and some fruits as treats, not a big fan of nuts and seeds.

Mantis64

His behavior seems pretty normal. He’s a very active birdie. He still plays around the house, enjoys flying, eats as usual and training sessions are his favorite to earn a treat (he likes pears). He’s itching his head excessively :( i wonder if it could be an allergy. He only eats pellets, vegetables and some fruits as treats, not a big fan of nuts and seeds.
I'm not very knowledgeable about bird illness/ health problems. Indian ringnecks require fruit in thier diet I feed mine daily. Tropical fruits like mango are very good as fruit is the main staple in the wild. They live in forests and have a fattier and more fruity diet than many other parrots.

As for the feather loss hopefully someone else can explain.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Birdbabe @Mockinbirdiva @finchly

I would also be suspecting the mites...... how did you know your cockatiel had mites? Was he itching?
What did your birds get treated with to kill the mites?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

I would also be suspecting the mites...... how did you know your cockatiel had mites? Was he itching?
I'm curious about the Brand Name of spray as well. Did the vet give you a specific name of the mites so we can read up on them? It's great you have him on some pellets for a balanced diet as well as vegetables and some fruits. Keep an eye on both birds for more mites in case they've migrated to the area you keep the birds in. Many stores sell those little canister things you hang on cages as mite protectors - DON'T USE THEM... just an FYI... the chemicals can be harmful to birds. What formula did you feed him when he was a baby and what brand of pellets do you have him on now?

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay

I used to hang a towel on cockatiel’s cage, so one day i just noticed many black spots, I used the phone flash to see up close what’s going on and saw disgusting little bugs crawling around and 2-3 weeks before that I watched a video on mites and lice, so I was kinda familiar with the look of it. I didn’t find any mites on the birds, only on cockatiel’s cage, and same with the vet, he didn’t find any mites/lice on my birds. My cockatiel like so preen, so maybe she used to do it excessively but no feather loss, she’s molting now without any bald spots.
i have the name of the spray on the bill, i’ll check it when i get back home and let you guys know. Thank you so much for your replies

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
I’
I'm curious about the Brand Name of spray as well. Did the vet give you a specific name of the mites so we can read up on them? It's great you have him on some pellets for a balanced diet as well as vegetables and some fruits. Keep an eye on both birds for more mites in case they've migrated to the area you keep the birds in. Many stores sell those little canister things you hang on cages as mite protectors - DON'T USE THEM... just an FYI... the chemicals can be harmful to birds. What formula did you feed him when he was a baby and what brand of pellets do you have him on now?
l’ll check the spray name once i get home from work.
Since the vet didn’t find any mites on birds, he assumed it’s the red mites, who only jump on the bird during the night and then hide in their surroundings. I searched the cages after the “cleansing” every night, but couldn’t find any more bugs.
thanks for the fyi, i’m trying to be very careful with what i spray around them (i don’t spray anything ).
I fed him Harrison’s formula and now both of them mainly eat Harrison’s maximum nutrition pellets and sometimes mixed with ZuPreem Fruity blend. He used to have a really nice baby ringneck plumage and then this baldness disaster happened :(
BC1959C8-7DCB-4E3B-917E-9DAFD41E59DF.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Both of your birds are beautiful. I've never seen an all yellow cockatiel!

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Both of your birds are beautiful. I've never seen an all yellow cockatiel!
Thanks :) she has her red cheeks, but they just started getting more obvious. Before I got her (6 months ago) she was on a seed only diet which I believe affected her plumage. But now she’s actively molting and new beautiful bright feather are coming out, really happy about it!
638C2D04-5DFA-4D3B-9833-94ADD387419E.png

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Thanks :) she has her red cheeks, but they just started getting more obvious. Before I got her (6 months ago) she was on a seed only diet which I believe affected her plumage. But now she’s actively molting and new beautiful bright feather are coming out, really happy about it!
View attachment 340388
I think this crest could give Jeff some competition, @Khizz !

Welcome to the avenue, @Gokha

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wrote this last night and never hit post:

Mite treatment absolutely has to be done more than once and you have to treat the environment as well. Washing a cage does not kill mites.
Mites could very well have caused all his health issues. Please read:

That is the most beautiful cockatiel! Wow!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Shezbug @Mockinbirdiva
So this is what they’ve done at the vet against mites: Ivermectin 1% injection and Fipronil 50 mg -Effipro (i believe this is the spray).
I would strongly advise you to NOT use the Fipronil. It's more commonly used on dogs and cats and after doing a quick search on "Fipronil 50 mg -Effipro is it safe to use on birds" I scanned over a couple of articles that say it is highly toxic to some species of birds. You can do a search on it too and find several articles. If it's a spray I'd be highly concerned about getting it into your birds respiratory system, digestive system ( from them preening after being sprayed with it), and their eyes.

I haven't had time to read @finchly articles so I don't know about the ivermectin.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would strongly advise you to NOT use the Fipronil. It's more commonly used on dogs and cats and after doing a quick search on "Fipronil 50 mg -Effipro is it safe to use on birds" I scanned over a couple of articles that say it is highly toxic to some species of birds. You can do a search on it too and find several articles. If it's a spray I'd be highly concerned about getting it into your birds respiratory system, digestive system ( from them preening after being sprayed with it), and their eyes.

I haven't had time to read @finchly articles so I don't know about the ivermectin.
Ivermectin is good.