• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Peeps I Need You Now

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
All of my vets prior to my current one weren't CAVs, and they all did fine jobs with my birds.

I am glad I have a CAV now though as I think Merlin's issues would be too much for my previous vets. I also strongly feel that without Dr O Merlin would no longer be with me. But, for most birds and most issues a regular vet well versed in birds will do fine :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Are you sure something is wrong? My Roca (GCC) sometimes will sit forward like that if she's feeling tired and cuddly. We've never seen her do it on her own, but when she's cuddling with us sometimes shell lean forward almost into her crop.

It's good that you're checking with vet in either case, but I'm hoping that its nothing :)
I'm not absolutely certain something's wrong. But I'd sure rather err on the side of conservatism. I've had this bird 4 1/2 yrs and never any behavior like this.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
You did exactly what I would have done Katy..hang tight dear..we are all here for you:hug8:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:I hope it's nothing.

I haven't read through all of the posts, I apologize, but is Birdie still sitting forward like that? Josie did something like that once, when she flew into a glass door. I think she was knocked out, and just needed a few moments to recover.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hope all will be alright. :hug8::hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Praying for the health of your bird. We can all understand your worry.

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
What part of Oregon do you live in, Katy? We have the Avian Wellness Center in Portland, and Dr. Kelly, in Vancouver.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm not absolutely certain something's wrong. But I'd sure rather err on the side of conservatism. I've had this bird 4 1/2 yrs and never any behavior like this.
Parront instinct should always be listened to. Even if it turns out it is nothing serious your gut knew something was different...off...not usual....so to act on it and get it checked is the better thing to do even if it turns out to be nothing and you spent money on it. Peace of mind is worth it. :hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hopefully it's nothing Katy but always best to go with your gut and the X-ray definitely sounds the best diagnostic tool right now.
I am thinking if it is not egg binding which it hopefully isn't that she might be presenting as in showing hormonal behaviour?

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

Parront instinct should always be listened to. Even if it turns out it is nothing serious your gut knew something was different...off...not usual....so to act on it and get it checked is the better thing to do even if it turns out to be nothing and you spent money on it. Peace of mind is worth it. :hug8:
Thanks everyone on your understanding on this point. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Good thoughts Katy. Hope it is nothing serious. Glad you are having it checked out. :hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Hopefully it's nothing Kay but always best to go with your gut and the X-ray definitely sounds the best diagnostic tool right now.
I am thinking if it is not egg binding which it hopefully isn't that she might be presenting as in showing hormonal behaviour?
Good thought. She is pretty raggedly molted. I showed him and explained how she was at this time last year. What does one do about that....ride it out?

Last edited:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If and only if it is hormonal then I am unsure of how you'd handle a GCC hormonal cycle best to ask in the Conure section but with my little rat bird it was literally a case of riding it out and letting her tell me whether she was in the mood for anything on a day to day basis. I supplemented her food for the molt and hormonal cycle but that's about it after checking it wasn't anything illness related with the vet.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending prayers your way for your little one. I hope it is nothing serious and she is soon home safe and sound. :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

Yep, a lot of people told me back in May as Merlin began eating less and less that I worry about her too much and she's fine. I knew she wasn't fine. And look where we are now, with liver cirrhosis. She's your bird and you know best if something isn't right.