• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Peeps I Need You Now

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Just saw this...you did the right thing! I will keep you both in my thoughts tonight. And I vote for it just being hormonal...:lol:Mother Nature sure did give us females a raw deal when she set up THAT system but at least it's normal. :hug8::heart::hug8:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I will be keeping Birdie and you in my thoughts. :hug8:

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
I hope Birdie is back to her ornery self in the morning :)
Sorry you didn't get any answers, but hopefully she's just having an off day.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine are all extremely clingy at the vet and after. Even Rowdy lets me cuddle here there and hold her up against me.

When I was there with Merlin just a couple of weeks ago another client said, "Oh my goodness, she just can't get close enough to you, can she?" It did seem she was trying to make herself a PART of me, lol! Up against me didn't seem good enough.
its amazing what a good trip to the vet can do, even Blue and Red become my besties and a surprise as Da Fluffsta even relenting to me after being handled by the vet! Soon told me off afterwards though. :rolleyes:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh gosh...my heart went up in my throat when I saw the title! I am glad you took her in. As everyone said, always go with your instinct. I will keep Birdie in my thoughts, send extra healing energy, and hugs to you.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I'm glad your bird is ok Katy :hug8: Now I'm going to tell you something yucky, my Sydney tiel' has a flat perch and she also hunches forward on the edge with her tail in the air. In our case it's hormonal. See Sydney used to masturbate all over certain toys and then lay eggs. I took away "boyfriend" after "boyfriend" (the last one was a toy made up of shoelaces). After that she started masturbating on her dowel perches, arg. It was always the same one, the top perch. So I got rid of that and put flat shelf perches. And that stopped her for a quite a bit. But now when she is hormonal she will hunch forward like you described and she masturbates that way by letting the breeze from the nearby window blow on her nether-regions. She is a determined little stinker. This year she laid eggs from Memorial Day to the end of July with breaks in between. I've tried everything, more sleep for her, darkness, rearranging cage, etc etc. Right now she is molting and has zero interest in eggs, but if I get one more clutch of eggs before next spring, we are off to the vet for shots to hopefully stop the eggs. I have the fake eggs and whenever she looks nesty, goes for cuttelbone, etc I put the 3 eggs in there hoping she will think she already has enough eggs so she can quit giving me heart palpitations. And that's my dirty bird. :)

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
There's no such thing as overreacting when it comes to suspicious behavior from our feather babies. I very much hope Birdie is okay, and that she was just feeling like a change of pace. :hug8:

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
Hope all is ok and it's nothing serious! I'd rather err on the side of caution and do something than blow it off, not do something and find out otherwise! :hug8:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What Dana is saying is pretty much what I am suspecting, Birdie's feeling a little naughty and dirty. :lol:

Don't think I am being a perve but can you take a video of her doing it??

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I've been told, that if a bird is pooing they are not egg bound. But I don't know if it's just anecdotal. I would call your vet and see. Does she have eggie butt? You should be able to see a bump.

Ginger
When Jody would get egg bound she still pooped, more like the big morning ones, so you can throw that theory out the door.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad he put her on an antibiotic.... even though there is no egg, it can still be female reproductive system related.

My Kita makes tons of eggs and many of them just basically develop and sit in the ovary and cause infections.... she gets that "pose" and gets very weak in her legs, she can perk up for certain things..... but basically these infections make her very sick and have caused damage to her kidneys, she gets very very high WBC counts and has had an endoscopy done to confirm what was going on....Kita had to be given antibiotics (Orbax... in the Cipro family) for 2 months straight until her WBCs came down to normal and then a recheck 1 month after completing the antibiotics, WBC's were still normal... she goes back next motnh for another recheck. It was a very stubborn deep seated infection

.... so if you know something isn't right, always trust your gut.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just caught this thread. Katy:hug8:. Our girlies can be so scary sometimes. Hoping all works out.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm glad your bird is ok Katy :hug8: Now I'm going to tell you something yucky, my Sydney tiel' has a flat perch and she also hunches forward on the edge with her tail in the air. In our case it's hormonal. See Sydney used to masturbate all over certain toys and then lay eggs. I took away "boyfriend" after "boyfriend" (the last one was a toy made up of shoelaces). After that she started masturbating on her dowel perches, arg. It was always the same one, the top perch. So I got rid of that and put flat shelf perches. And that stopped her for a quite a bit. But now when she is hormonal she will hunch forward like you described and she masturbates that way by letting the breeze from the nearby window blow on her nether-regions. She is a determined little stinker. This year she laid eggs from Memorial Day to the end of July with breaks in between. I've tried everything, more sleep for her, darkness, rearranging cage, etc etc. Right now she is molting and has zero interest in eggs, but if I get one more clutch of eggs before next spring, we are off to the vet for shots to hopefully stop the eggs. I have the fake eggs and whenever she looks nesty, goes for cuttelbone, etc I put the 3 eggs in there hoping she will think she already has enough eggs so she can quit giving me heart palpitations. And that's my dirty bird. :)
:lol:I'm glad you told me now. I had a naughty budgie in college. I'm glad you told me this, as Birdie has been shreddingtiny bits of paper with an adding machine tape toy. All of my birds love them, especially the boys! I wonder if I should take it away from her?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I am glad he put her on an antibiotic.... even though there is no egg, it can still be female reproductive system related.

My Kita makes tons of eggs and many of them just basically develop and sit in the ovary and cause infections.... she gets that "pose" and gets very weak in her legs, she can perk up for certain things..... but basically these infections make her very sick and have caused damage to her kidneys, she gets very very high WBC counts and has had an endoscopy done to confirm what was going on....Kita had to be given antibiotics (Orbax... in the Cipro family) for 2 months straight until her WBCs came down to normal and then a recheck 1 month after completing the antibiotics, WBC's were still normal... she goes back next motnh for another recheck. It was a very stubborn deep seated infection

.... so if you know something isn't right, always trust your gut.
Thank you so much. Good information. You can never learn enough!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
What Dana is saying is pretty much what I am suspecting, Birdie's feeling a little naughty and dirty. :lol:

Don't think I am being a perve but can you take a video of her doing it??
Are you going to watch it at the kitchen table or bird room? Or in the bedroom before you go to bed. If that's the case, then,:no:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
:lol:I'm glad you told me now. I had a naughty budgie in college. I'm glad you told me this, as Birdie has beenshredding tiny bits of paper with an adding machine tape toy. All of my birds love them, especially the boys! I wonder if I should take it away from her?

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Glad she's alright Katy.:hug8:.wooshhh..what a scare she gave ya uh? I'm really glad I dont
have to deal with the eggie thing..:eek: