• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not treat motivated

Rei.dot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rei cooper
So I’ve had my little budgie for quite a few months now and I really want to hand tame her . However she’s not food motivated at all I’ve tried strawberry,apple ,millet sprays but shows no interest in any treat . She will step up on a dowel perch and sometimes transfers to a hand ( that she proceeds to bite on ) but I have nothing to reward her with to make her want to step up on the hand. Would love to hear any advise for hand training or picky eaters .

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She may not be ready yet. Be patient n keep trying.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
So I’ve had my little budgie for quite a few months now and I really want to hand tame her . However she’s not food motivated at all I’ve tried strawberry,apple ,millet sprays but shows no interest in any treat . She will step up on a dowel perch and sometimes transfers to a hand ( that she proceeds to bite on ) but I have nothing to reward her with to make her want to step up on the hand. Would love to hear any advise for hand training or picky eaters .
Is there anything that she will eat in her dish that is not part of her normal diet? Searching for a treat can begin by feeding her a variety of foods in her dish and then seeing what she eats first, then you can stop adding it to her normal meal and use it as a treat. You can also try juice from a dropper.

If she is not tame then step ups might be too much to ask at first. You could try to teach her to target while in her cage.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What about a sunflower seeds or a piece of almond or pine nut?