• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie, single lovebird needs cage

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Newbie here! Apologies if cages have already been discussed endlessly, I’ve been checking the forums on Google and a lot of cages seem to no longer be sold or links are broken and I’m frantic here.

I was gifted a baby lovebird in wayyy too small a cage and I am desperate to get her something bigger. It’s something like (12x9x12) too small even for a budgie. I’m searching for something 24x24x24 as I’ve seen suggested online but not finding anything appropriately sized, everything is just under, or has too big bar spacing. Please help! I am considering buying her something smaller or larger with the wrong bars but am worried about it being the wrong size and know I will just keep searching for the right thing until I find it and later be unable to resell the old one. Also considering keeping current small cage as sleep cage because she is able to spread wings and fly one stroke.

The ideal cage would be affordable, have a large enough door to help with taming, a storage shelf underneath for her things, hopefully 3 bowls, and maybe even space for a friend eventually. But what’s really important to me is that she’s comfortable ASAP!

I’m considering this cage but it’s much larger than necessary, lacks the storage I want, and most importantly the bar spacing is 0.6” which I think is too big. Thoughts? Anyone have it?

Yaheetech 69-inch Wrought Iron Rolling Large Parrot Bird Cage for African Grey Small Quaker Amazon Parrot Cockatiel Sun Parakeet Green Cheek Conure Dove Lovebird Budgie Play Top Bird Cage with Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWLEC0...t_i_CZETMYDX9DSVW5907FCA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Hi!

If you let us know where you are, I’m sure someone could recommend a store nearby selling cages.
Also,
:welcometrain:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep the original cage! Sounds like a good travel cage. Then get a different permanent cage.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm not sure you're going to find a cube-shaped cage like that, unless you got something custom done (which is rather costly). There are plenty of flight cages out there that will work just fine for your Lovebird, in addition to having out-of-cage time.

1/2 inch bar spacing worked just fine for Sherbie.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hello Katie :)

Keep in mind that if you get a friend in the future, they would need to be housed separately until they bond - if they don´t bond they won´t be able to cage share.

A cage something like this would be ideal if there is anything you see available,
Thank you for the rec! This looks pretty good! Have you ever used this cage for your bird? I see some weird reviews mentioning “poisonings,” I wonder if that’s just normal new habitat adjustment misinterpreted by owners or truly a concern. I like the finish of the powder coated painted ones more than the classic black wrought iron, that might effect toxicity.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi!

If you let us know where you are, I’m sure someone could recommend a store nearby selling cages.
Also,
:welcometrain:
Hi, thank you for the warm welcome! I’m located in Miami, Florida, I’ll try to add that in now to og post

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have you ever used this cage for your bird? I see some weird reviews mentioning “poisonings,”
Sorry, I have powder coated cages from Germany. That style and size is ideal, but as for that exact one, I do not know, you will have to read through the reviews or find anothe member with the same cage and ask them how it is.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Sorry, I have powder coated cages from Germany. That style and size is ideal, but as for that exact one, I do not know, you will have to read through the reviews or find anothe member with the same cage and ask them how it is.
Okay, thank you!