• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Tiel Help

bloemetje

Moving in
Real Name
Maddisen
Hi everyone,
I bought my first tiel last week, and things have been going pretty well. He’s a male white-face, I’m not sure how old. He’s taken to my hand, and even likes kisses. He has a large cage and he comes out every day. Lately, though, the only thing he has been doing is searching my room for a stray seed. It’s constant, and he’ll let out this one-note screech over and over while he searches. This will go on for hours, sometimes with a short break in between where he just sits contentedly. But then it’s back to searching. I’m becoming increasingly frustrated, because I literally can’t get him to do anything else, and the single constant screech is starting to wear at my sanity. I’ve tried different toys, giving him attention, anything really. I would really appreciate any advice.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Is it a baby, could he be hungry?
When you say screech, is it contact calling for people or is he hungry?
Are you free feeding?
What are you feeding?
Tiels are ground foragers, so that is natural that they are on the ground.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Maddisen :)

Like Danita said, maybe he is hungry, if he is an adult/weaned be sure there is always dry food (Seeds, pellets) in the bowl available.

Also, look at introducing some foraging oportunities for him. There are lots of toys avail in bird stores or DIY ideas here: Enrichment and Foraging Park

bloemetje

Moving in
Real Name
Maddisen
Is it a baby, could he be hungry?
When you say screech, is it contact calling for people or is he hungry?
Are you free feeding?
What are you feeding?
Tiels are ground foragers, so that is natural that they are on the ground.
Hi Danita! I do think he’s young. I wish I could tell you more, but I don’t know the circumstances of how he was raised. He’s making a short “week!” Sound if that helps lol. He has free access to his food, which is Zupreem natural pellets. I keep trying to add veggies but he won’t eat them. The pellets haven’t been a problem though, he seems to like those.
At first, I thought he was hungry too, but even if I offer him some pellets, he’ll eat those for a short time and then go back to looking around for something else. I’m just concerned because he won’t do anything else - he won’t even look at his toys.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hi Danita! I do think he’s young. I wish I could tell you more, but I don’t know the circumstances of how he was raised. He’s making a short “week!” Sound if that helps lol. He has free access to his food, which is Zupreem natural pellets. I keep trying to add veggies but he won’t eat them. The pellets haven’t been a problem though, he seems to like those.
At first, I thought he was hungry too, but even if I offer him some pellets, he’ll eat those for a short time and then go back to looking around for something else. I’m just concerned because he won’t do anything else - he won’t even look at his toys.
Can you create a fun place in a cardboard box, like a shoe box lid? You put a bunch of bird stuff in there, seeds, treats, pellets, millet so they can forage around in there. The bigger the better. Like cut a big box up so its just a shallow tray. You can put shredded paper, um...toy parts, other bird safe items and he can ground forage in there instead of carpet dirt lol

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe try giving him some seeds along with the pellets. See what happens. I was under the impression that they do need some seeds in their diet.

the pellets by themselves may not filling the need that he is searching for. Have you talked to the people where you got him from? Maybe they forgot to give you some info about something...

im sure others will join in and help you figure things out...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
One of my tiels chirps almost all the time, especially when she’s looking or calling for my husband. It sounds like it could be a contact call, but maybe you can post a video. Maybe she misses her old flock mates or is calling out to you as she explores. Once she settles in more, she might calm down a bit. Also, Tiels need seeds in their diet too, at least 50/50 seeds/pellets with plenty of fresh veggies in addition to this.

bloemetje

Moving in
Real Name
Maddisen
Welcome to the Avenue Maddisen :)

Like Danita said, maybe he is hungry, if he is an adult/weaned be sure there is always dry food (Seeds, pellets) in the bowl available.

Also, look at introducing some foraging oportunities for him. There are lots of toys avail in bird stores or DIY ideas here: Enrichment and Foraging Park
Thank you!! I’ll try some of these out

bloemetje

Moving in
Real Name
Maddisen
One of my tiels chirps almost all the time, especially when she’s looking or calling for my husband. It sounds like it could be a contact call, but maybe you can post a video. Maybe she misses her old flock mates or is calling out to you as she explores. Once she settles in more, she might calm down a bit. Also, Tiels need seeds in their diet too, at least 50/50 seeds/pellets with plenty of fresh veggies in addition to this.
I just looked up some videos of a flock call- I think it’s the same sound! I can’t believe I didn’t think of looking that up. Thanks so much for the pointer. I thought maybe he would settle down too, but I got worried too fast. I guess I have some new parront anxiety :confused:

bloemetje

Moving in
Real Name
Maddisen
Maybe try giving him some seeds along with the pellets. See what happens. I was under the impression that they do need some seeds in their diet.

the pellets by themselves may not filling the need that he is searching for. Have you talked to the people where you got him from? Maybe they forgot to give you some info about something...

im sure others will join in and help you figure things out...
I’ll definitely add some! I was under the opposite impression, that seeds are treats only. I’m seeing more now about how that’s not entirely the case. Thank you :)

bloemetje

Moving in
Real Name
Maddisen
Can you create a fun place in a cardboard box, like a shoe box lid? You put a bunch of bird stuff in there, seeds, treats, pellets, millet so they can forage around in there. The bigger the better. Like cut a big box up so its just a shallow tray. You can put shredded paper, um...toy parts, other bird safe items and he can ground forage in there instead of carpet dirt lol
This is a great idea, thanks :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Birds naturally spend a lot of time foraging for food. Also, if he wasn't given pellets previously, he may not recognize them as food. Is he eating the pellets? Tiels will actually starve themselves if they don't recognize food as "food". If he's young the pellets may be too hard for him to eat too. You can try softening them with water. I actually feed my tiels about 50% seeds and the rest vegetables, nutriberries and grains.