• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi!
I have been researching what would be a good bird for first time owner that lives in apartment. The pionus parrot seems to come up quite often. Then I went on Google and there are so many different Pionuses!!! I wonder which type of pionus would be a great match for a first time owner that lives in an appartement that would like to cuddle with their bird and that would like to teach them tricks/flight train them?

Ps: I have considered cockatiel, but I don't think I can handle the dust. I also considered GCC, but some people say their scream can get loud as a point it could damage my hearing.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don;t equate there over generalized reputation for quiet with quiet. They are medium size birds which can be very loud. May not be known for excessive vocalization but not all birds in the species get the same memo or abide by it. Sure they are more quiet than a cockatoo or macaw.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
:welcome2:
Welcome to the Avenue!

Video of a screaming Maxi's Pi:

Turn up the volume and imagine that in your apartment. Pionus usually do not scream consistently, and I've heard that the amount of noise that they make is compared to a cockatiel.

Although it all depends on the individual bird, white-capped pionus are known for being outgoing. Try to get a copy of The Practical Pionus if possible.

Best of luck to you in your search for a feathered friend! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All parrots can potentially harm your hearing just FYI! They are meant to be able to communicate with the flock over MILES.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've been living with ( multiple) conures for at least sixteen years....I'm not deaf yet. I wouldn't consider myself hard of hearing unless they're all screaming at one time or you try talking to me when you're in another room.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My Pionus can be very loud. Also he is not cuddly. He prefers mostly ambient interactions. He wants to be near me and not on me. The only exception to this is he likes to shake hands. He will fly to me so he can "shake hands". Also when he wants head scritches he will ask. He will say "scratch your head" . If you try to scratch his head is he doesn't ask he leans way back from you, then runs away.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
You might want to consider a Senegal... I used to tell people they were apartment birds, since my flock didn't have much of a noise issue... [tho in his later years, Ricky had a welcoming screech [discussed how I reversed this behavior in another thread]...
He loves to be cuddled, easily trick trained, fits in your hand, talks, not a screamer.... what else do you want to know?:joyful:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Holy cow. He's the same species, but I've never heard my pionus scream like that video. :blink: Gonna go thank my lucky stars now, I guess. He instead just does this really melodramatic whining that I probably inadvertently encourage just by mocking him relentlessly for it... :hilarious: That said, he is most certainly not the gentle, easygoing bird pionus are "supposed" to be.

If you're to consider Pat's suggestion above, keep in mind that while poicephalus may tend to be quiet in comparison to most parrots, when they do scream, it is incredibly shrill. Puts me right on edge every time, and my red-bellied can really get going when she has a mind to. The sound also travels through walls remarkably well. The two worst screamers I've ever dealt with were a sun conure and a Meyer's parrot. If I had to choose right now between listening to one of the two, I'd choose the sun conure without hesitation.

Parrots certainly are a mixed bag of personality. We can generalize the traits of a given species all we want, but that's all they are. Generalizations. It really all comes down to the individual in the end.

Last edited:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Well, I'd agree w/ Feather that the Senegals DO have a shrill scream, but it's usually one and done... not continuous...[and he didn't start doing that until he was years old!]... but the Sun Conures [and ALL Conures]... I've been around--- OUCH!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird by himself was mostly quiet, but he had a jungle Pionus flock call that could wake the dead, BUUWEEEEEP!!!
Lurch was somewhat quiet but could get upset and scream loudly for a while trying to get attention or just because.
Dobby has a wicked KACK... KACK... KACK and screams he does when he's tired or wants attention. Nerd knows all the wild Jungle Pionus noises and had all kinds of chirps chortling, and vocalizations that meant he was mad, scared, happy, all was right with his world. He never talked and we spoke wild Pionus to each other. He knew his name, had a name for himself and one for me. He also made cute little whistling noises when going to sleep or really content.
Lurch and Dobby sound kinda similar but never had the advantage of growing up with a jungle flock so they just don't have the range of noises that mean something Nerd did. They both talked/talk but Lurch talked a lot and knew more words and phrases. Dobby probably knows more than he's shon us so far but that's a Pionus for you. They all love Scritches and hanging out with you and chilling and getting treats and will request scritches by bowing thier heads and fluffing.
They generally have very clear body language telling you they're happy or don't bother me. They can bite badly when upset or provoked but tend to be gentle.
Lurch was mad at the world and scared to death when I got him so I got bit a lot till he finally decided I was trustworthy and a friend.
Nerd bit when scared or hurt, Dobby refuses to bite but certainly can and will back away or bluff.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Nerd bird by himself was mostly quiet, but he had a jungle Pionus flock call that could wake the dead, BUUWEEEEEP!!!
Lurch was somewhat quiet but could get upset and scream loudly for a while trying to get attention or just because.
Dobby has a wicked KACK... KACK... KACK and screams he does when he's tired or wants attention. Nerd knows all the wild Jungle Pionus noises and had all kinds of chirps chortling, and vocalizations that meant he was mad, scared, happy, all was right with his world. He never talked and we spoke wild Pionus to each other. He knew his name, had a name for himself and one for me. He also made cute little whistling noises when going to sleep or really content.
Lurch and Dobby sound kinda similar but never had the advantage of growing up with a jungle flock so they just don't have the range of noises that mean something Nerd did. They both talked/talk but Lurch talked a lot and knew more words and phrases. Dobby probably knows more than he's shon us so far but that's a Pionus for you. They all love Scritches and hanging out with you and chilling and getting treats and will request scritches by bowing thier heads and fluffing.
They generally have very clear body language telling you they're happy or don't bother me. They can bite badly when upset or provoked but tend to be gentle.
Lurch was mad at the world and scared to death when I got him so I got bit a lot till he finally decided I was trustworthy and a friend.
Nerd bit when scared or hurt, Dobby refuses to bite but certainly can and will back away or bluff.
What breed of pionus are they? ❤

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The thing about medium sized parrots that are considered “quiet” is that their size means when they do decide to call/scream (and they will), it will be loud enough to bother your neighbors.

My CAG is a “quiet” bird, but when she gets going she is loud.

I’d also recommend a poicephalus species. My Meyer’s was so apartment friendly and she loved to cuddle.

Good luck.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I believe all of Dartmans are/were Maxi Pionus. Dobby the current one is a Maxi.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not all Meyers are quiet & there scream can hurt but that could just be that you can't generalize & each bird according to its personality or upbringing is different. That was my experience but it has been said Meyers are more quiet compared to other parrots. It was not my experience though.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry

ZY28

Strolling the yard
I have heard that maxi pi are the least known to scream/screech is that true?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends on the individual and the individual context.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Depends on the individual and the individual context.
I know, but I mean those stereotypes must be there for a reason. I am saying in general....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know, but I mean those stereotypes must be there for a reason. I am saying in general....
The more you try to put a species into a box, the more you will find yourself frustrated or disappointed.

We like those little boxes because it makes things easier. So we take species and morph them into what works for our needs. We took a wolf and over the course of 10,000 years we carefully created breeds that help put Dogs into nice little boxes.

Parrots are only a few generations removed from the wild in most cases, and there isn't any concentrated effort yet, especially with the larger birds, to breed for personality or other traits. They are bred for colors and numbers because people will buy them regardless.

To try to narrow down the personality and quirks of an entire species is really like trying to pick a random wolf who is going to be most like a golden retriever.