• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail clipping time!

How should I clip their nails?

• Just get over it... This is a necessary procedure. Do it quickly and efficiently to minimize stress.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Take them to my avian vet and let them handle the birds so it can be done by a trained hand.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Get one of those local nail and wing clipping individuals to come do a house call.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, read my post below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
It is getting VERY close, if not past time for me to do some nail clipping. I am terrified to do this! Not because I am worried about cutting physically, I understand the process and what not to do. I am just sooooooo worried about stressing them out to the point that they become fearful of me again. I'm going to have to catch them with a net most likely as I am still not quick enough to safely catch them when they perch on my hand (worried I may hurt them by trying to quickly snatch). Should I:

A. Just get over it... This is a necessary procedure and the best thing to do is just get over it, do it as efficiently as possible to minimize stress and be done with it.

B. Take them to my avian vet and let them handle the birds so it can be done by a trained hand and not by me so they hopefully wont hate me.

C. Get one of those local nail and wing clipping individuals to come do a house call.

D. Other, read my post below.

Thanks everyone!

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
I would personally buy them sand perches, and replace a lot of their perches with them, doesn't hurt the feet, but keeps the nails ground down. I wouldn't try and clip their nails if you just got bonded with them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Vet for sure!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's too easy to do it yourself. I do not vote for vet on this one. Instead of using the net, can you catch them with your hand inside the cage? Or coax them into their travel/hospital cage and catch them there?

I use a net for my guys but mine aren't hand tame.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Hmm yeah I am still torn. I do feel like I can handle the nail clipping myself, however, I think I have a great solution for now. How about I take them to the vet this first time. This will give them some more time being handled and having their nails trimmed by someone else, that way its not as much a surprise when I do it in the future. It will also be a great way for me to talk with someone in person with experience and see the procedure to make sure I am not missing anything. Also gives me an excuse to finally purchase a travel cage. I will probably give them some time to get used to the travel cage first too before I go. Otherwise that is just going to greatly increase their stress. It's already going to be a bad day. Car ride, strange place, strange people, nail clipping. It's going to be a bad day for them :(

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Vet. I can't handle clipping anyone's toe nails...even my own! I'm terrified because feet are so important for them! When my parrotlets nipped my budgie Sola's ankle I could see it was painful (happened once) as he kept his poor little foot up. I was sick over it. Never would I even try. I almost feel like it's a form of surgery when it's done. Only for those who are super duper good and confident, which I'm not...yet.

Jenny Reynolds

Moving in
Real Name
Jenny
Hi There - I only joined today so please be patient with me haha. I am ok at clipping my canary claws - so far - but the last time I did it it put me off every doing it again. I caought him gently in the cage like I always do and gently took him out and cut a couple of his claws when he wriggled out of my grasp and flew around the room. Luckily I had the windows closed and door too. I managed to catch him after a while (he's not tame at all) and continued to cut the other nails. All of a sudden he went limp so I laid him gently on the cage floor and left him alone. He laid there with his wings spread out and panting for about a minute or two, then suddenly came round and popped back onto the perch. He didn't sing for two days and it shocked me. I though I had killed him. Was my mistake in keeping him out for so long?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hmm yeah I am still torn. I do feel like I can handle the nail clipping myself, however, I think I have a great solution for now. How about I take them to the vet this first time. This will give them some more time being handled and having their nails trimmed by someone else, that way its not as much a surprise when I do it in the future. It will also be a great way for me to talk with someone in person with experience and see the procedure to make sure I am not missing anything. Also gives me an excuse to finally purchase a travel cage. I will probably give them some time to get used to the travel cage first too before I go. Otherwise that is just going to greatly increase their stress. It's already going to be a bad day. Car ride, strange place, strange people, nail clipping. It's going to be a bad day for them :(
Hi
Id feel the same about taking my birds to a avian vet which is miles away. I do think your idea of going and watching for the 1st time is a good idea. Ive clipped one of mine..but my husband helped. I held and he clipped. I couldnt do it alone Im just not that confident yet in the maneuvering of the toes and stopping the bird from flying. One step at a time

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi There - I only joined today so please be patient with me haha. I am ok at clipping my canary claws - so far - but the last time I did it it put me off every doing it again. I caought him gently in the cage like I always do and gently took him out and cut a couple of his claws when he wriggled out of my grasp and flew around the room. Luckily I had the windows closed and door too. I managed to catch him after a while (he's not tame at all) and continued to cut the other nails. All of a sudden he went limp so I laid him gently on the cage floor and left him alone. He laid there with his wings spread out and panting for about a minute or two, then suddenly came round and popped back onto the perch. He didn't sing for two days and it shocked me. I though I had killed him. Was my mistake in keeping him out for so long?
Hi and welcome ☺
I bet he is just fine now. It sounds like he got stressed with being recaught to me. I read somewhere that if one needs to catch a canary its best for a try of 5 minutes at the most spurts, instead of a long and arduous 10-15 minutes.
I do this now when I need to catch one of mine. Mine aren't tame either. I give them a little rest between each 5 minute try.
I have also sussed that instead of going in to catch first just lift an arm gently and they fly off. With this over a few minutes the bird gets naturally tired, not stressed and then in the 1st 5 minutes of catching I find it easier.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So this is interesting looking back. It has been well over a year since I posted this originally and now my perspective is totally different. So let me explain where I am at now vs then, and maybe I can answer your questions/put your mind at ease.

So first, "now vs then". Clearly back then I was really worried about handling them. This is a non issue today. In fact just 30 minutes ago C&E were out playing in the kitchen and I needed to put them up so I could head off for work. Well... the chicken nuggets didn't want to go back haha. I have spoiled them rotten. They sleep outside their cage usually on the weekend (which for me is Thurs - Sat) and as a result they are always a bit spoiled come Sunday afternoon when its time to head back to the cage so I can leave for work. When they don't want to go back they don't even like to perch on my hand because they know I will put them away haha. Such smart little chicken nuggets... So the only choice sometimes is to just pick them both up. I usually just scoop them up one in each hand and take them to the cage door. At that point they accept defeat and will willingly fly into the cage when I bring them near. So how is this relevant? I am no longer afraid to handle them. I pick them up whenever I need and they are not bothered by it. They usually just give me the "dang it... he got me again" look. So trimming toenails now is a cinch! It has been really beneficial to handle them regularly. It has conditioned them and actually strengthened our bond. They are no where near as terrified of me as they used to be and will gladly sit with me on the couch now either in my lap, on my arm, or on the shoulder. Also, I am glad I decided against taking to the vet to trim their nails. That would have ended up being VERY expensive for something that is so easy to do yourself once you build up the confidence. I still get a little nervous some times about trimming too much and so my current process is to just do little trims. This keeps their nails a little longer than desired, but still works great and avoids accidental short trims. They don't even really mind me holding their feet anymore. They just willingly lay on their backs in my palm and I am able to hold their toes without the fear of them flying off.

As for your canary @finchly can probably contribute more, but I would say quite confidently that you are just fine. C&E used to do this sometimes when I was first conditioning them to being held. I am reasonably confident it is a defense mechanism. They are essentially playing dead or are just frozen in a bit of a panic. I know it sounds awful, but it will pass, and the more time (handling) you spend with your fid, the less often it will occur. Just keeping working on it and make every interaction as positive as you can. He/she will come around and soon, handling will be second nature for both of you.

Last edited:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
By the way, to anyone else out there getting ready to do their first nail trim. Do NOT cheap out on nail trimmers ie don't get those terrible sliding trimmers found in the bird section at PetsMart/Co. At the very least get the scissor type, or get a "sharp" higher quality pair. The cheap ones just snag and pull on toes! You need a sharp pair that will quickly and cleanly cut with no snags!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@Atomiklan
Wow..wow..wow. I loved reading about your little chicken nuggets arr. Brilliant how they allow you to clip their nails and how you get them back in their cage too. These birds are clever I completely agree with your approach. I will persevere with my confidence snd think of this article you wrote

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Glad you enjoyed. Lots of other posts on here of my journey being a new parront, first to C&E, and now to L the eclectus. Documented parts of the journey on YouTube too: AtomiFlock - YouTube

Jenny Reynolds

Moving in
Real Name
Jenny
Many thanks for you posts - very helpful and reassuring :). Do you have canaries Atomiklan or some other birds? I have those little scissors but without blades if you know what I mean, just a sort of little circular cutter that opens up like scissors. Very easy

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
I always used human toenail clippers for Sky, I would catch him in a towel, as that beak was a little stapler, once he bit on, he wouldn't let go. Then I just uncover his feet, gently use a finger on my clipper hand to move the toes apart, then just snip quickly and get it over with. However, I never had a very deep bond with Sky, my future bird would have plenty of sand perches!!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Looking back, the poll above should have been a little more specific. This poll was specific to finches. Not sure yet, but I would probably take Ms fuzzy pants (Lada) to the vet to get her toes done. Finches are easy at home though.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Peeps gets a 'pedicure' at the vet once in a while lol it's my way of checking up his weight and overall condition as well. Fortunately for us, they are only 20 minutes away. Its relatively cheap for us since it only costs $16.