• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Parrot Doesn't Like to Be Touched

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Nicko (ringneck) always LOVED kisses, he could sit on my arm for hours, squeaking for more kisses and nose cuddles - but never in his 20+ years did he like human hands (I was told - I only got to know him for 5 years before he passed, but he indeed did not let any fingers come near him during that time). He'd let me give him treats from my fingers, sure, but that was it. If a finger without a treat approached him, he'd bolt.
A fear/dislike of fingers seems pretty common especially in smaller birds - I know ringnecks especially are quite prone to not liking fingers at all.
I didn't mind though, I rarely even noticed that I couldn't use my fingers/hands to handle him - pretty much only when he wanted cuddles and I had to scritch him with my chin, nose and arm instead... :rofl:

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Nancy B Aww, that's cute. When my birds don't want to be touched, they just bite me. There's nothing wrong with petting your bird if he likes it, you just have to be mindful of your bird and when he's had enough. Every bird is different and likes or dislikes.
I know I am just having a hard time because I want to kiss him to death! When he let's me I go crazy and so doesn't he! He will rub his head and whole body on the crook of my neck and end up on his back on my chest! And when that happens I nuzzle his belly with my nose! He's so cute I can't stand it!

vista101

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sean
I have a green cheek conure that will sometimes just clamp his beak on me and other times acts innocent for a few minutes