• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My little flock of 4

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Thank you!

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Sorry for not posting for a bit. Apollo is doing so well! She's very confident and outgoing, and she's grown in her flights! She's such a good flier, and a huge fluffernutter. She's also my only bird that self-bathes, which is so cute! I love my little girl :heart::heart:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I just realized the cuddle hut was in the backround, so I thought I'd talk about it. The cuddle hut is for the fall and winter months if they choose to use it. So far, I have had no problems, or even attempts to chew. My guys are not very hormonal at all, even during hormone season. The most they've ever done is regurgitate to each other. Of course, I monitor them, but I've had nothing even close to an issue so far.

Random extra question, but does anyone else have a bedroom that's also an all-day free-roam bird room? I have my bed and my closet to myself, but the rest of my room has various playstands, hanging perches, bird trees, toys etc. They only go in their (small) cages to sleep at night, to go to the vet, or to go on walks in the forest with me when it's warm enough. Sure, I have to be super mindful of the things I use to clean my room, but they've been living like this for 2 years (or less if newer). And they have their non-ionizing air purifier to keep all the bad stuff out of the air.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You caught some beautiful shots of them recently! What kind of plant is that in the photos above? Do they eat it? (I saw some holes in the leaves)...
Mine were in my bedroom with cage open all day before they moved to the living room for a better window view. They had a very narrow window in my bedroom, but there was no sunshine coming in like there is in the living room where they are now. I really miss them being in the bedroom, because that's where my t.v. is, and I'm in here a lot!

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
You caught some beautiful shots of them recently! What kind of plant is that in the photos above? Do they eat it? (I saw some holes in the leaves)...
Mine were in my bedroom with cage open all day before they moved to the living room for a better window view. They had a very narrow window in my bedroom, but there was no sunshine coming in like there is in the living room where they are now. I really miss them being in the bedroom, because that's where my t.v. is, and I'm in here a lot!
The plant is a beech tree. It was cut down with some holes in the leaves and is drying up, sadly, so they won't have it for much longer.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The plant is a beech tree. It was cut down with some holes in the leaves and is drying up, sadly, so they won't have it for much longer.
Awww - I'm sorry it's dying, darn it! It's a beautiful tree, I wonder if it wasn't getting enough light or something?

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Awww - I'm sorry it's dying, darn it! It's a beautiful tree, I wonder if it wasn't getting enough light or something?
Probably, the branches were on the bottom part of this tree, and there is a thick canopy above them.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
I just realized the cuddle hut was in the backround, so I thought I'd talk about it. The cuddle hut is for the fall and winter months if they choose to use it. So far, I have had no problems, or even attempts to chew. My guys are not very hormonal at all, even during hormone season. The most they've ever done is regurgitate to each other. Of course, I monitor them, but I've had nothing even close to an issue so far.

Random extra question, but does anyone else have a bedroom that's also an all-day free-roam bird room? I have my bed and my closet to myself, but the rest of my room has various playstands, hanging perches, bird trees, toys etc. They only go in their (small) cages to sleep at night, to go to the vet, or to go on walks in the forest with me when it's warm enough. Sure, I have to be super mindful of the things I use to clean my room, but they've been living like this for 2 years (or less if newer). And they have their non-ionizing air purifier to keep all the bad stuff out of the air.
We have a whole family room thats basically our bird room. Thats where their cage is and they spend most of their time on the cage. They will sometimes fly laps through the house though. I always cheer them on and that seems to get them going even more lol. I put a small playground by the window and we throw some seeds for the birds outside. They like to sit on the playground and watch their friends outside.

F165320E-AF3A-4E45-9C0E-0617FD85284F.jpeg
9E9CF5E7-0934-4063-95A6-3707703CECF4.jpeg

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
They now have a Christmas Cactus :dancing: I'm so happy to be able to provide them with a live plant, pics coming soon!

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
The birds have also been flying and hanging out in the living room quite a bit! Although they love it, they can only free roam when the cats are downstairs or upstairs.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
You know he’s doing a happy dance when he’s moving his head so fast it blurs!
E2454C1C-7385-4F80-A639-6B1AF935F64F.jpeg

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Sorry for the photo dumps, I only remember to take pics once a month or so!

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I’m getting up at 4:44 am every morning so I can spend time with the birds, because they’re usually too tired to interact when I get home from school (because the sun is setting). I don’t blame them, I’m pretty tired by 4-5 pm too! It’s definitely a schedule that I want to stick to, but it’s just kind of crazy. I get 1 hr less of sleep, and I’ve started to set an alarm that makes me LEAP out of bed from the sheer anxiety it causes me. The things we do for birds!