• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My little flock of 4

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
So, thought I would start this since my flock is pretty fun and maybe someone would like to hear about it! I honestly don't have any exotic or rare parrots, but my life with the budgies is still as crazy and eventful!

Anyhow, the flock members are:

1. Stormy (M), almost 3yrs old. My first budgie, very happy, energetic, and gets along with everyone. He's OBSESSED with singing and does it all day. He's one of the only birds in my flock who can sleep with other birds, so he and Pepper share a sleeping cage. He was a fully-flighted fledgeling, so he's very confident! He LOVES recall sessions and just training in general, and he hangs out with me often.
He flew away in July of last year, them was found 2 miles away at a trailer park. When I went to get him from his foster home, his eyes lit up. He recalled, spun, and kissed, he was so happy (then slept for 4 days straight upon returning home). He's my special, fluffy little boy :xflove:.
I gave him (along with his late friend, Sky) to my sister to foster (in March 2021) when my mental health got bad, then she refused to give him back, and eventually neglected Sky to death. I got him back, finally, and he's been living the dream life ever since! He's seen more in his short 2 years of living than most budgies have seen in a lifetime.

2. Picasso (F), 1yr old. My second budgie, I got her as a friend to Stormy after Sky died, and she lets me handle her a lot. She'll let me roll her on her back, and will just sit on my shoulder while I walk around. She was clipped as a fledgling, so she's pretty lazy (except during recall sessions). She's honestly a really great budgie to have around, but she will bite anyone that annoys her, so she sleeps alone. She has bonded very strongly with me, and her sweet side has really come out!

3. Pepper (M), 10 months old. My third budgie, whom I got to be friends with Picasso when Stormy flew away. He spent the first days home (until Stormy came back) hiding under my bedside table. However, he soon proved himself to be a very happy and social budgie! He's definitely NOT my most handleable bird, but he makes up with it in charm and amazing singing ability. He LOVES sitting on my fish tank light (don't worry, I have a glass lid), which is odd. He's an odd bird, and I love him. He's also my most exotic budge, a violet-mauve cinnamon recessive pied! He was clipped poorly as a fledgeling, so he could fly normally his whole life.

4. Apollo (TBD), 5 months old. My fourth (and final- for now :lol:) budgie. I was meaning to get a different bird, LuLu, but there was a mix-up, and I got him instead! He was given to PetSmart when his previous owner became too sick to care for him. He refused to drink for almost a week when he came home, probably because he had been rehomed 3 times in a month, but I worked with him and he now drinks happily. He also has nighttime anxiety, which I'm also working on. He steps up, gets scritches from Stormy, and has a serious obsession with millet! He LOVES his morning chop, and he'd rather eat it over seed! He's still growing out his flight feathers, hopefully he'll be able to fly soon.

:)C&B

Walking the driveway
So, thought I would start this since my flock is pretty fun and maybe someone would like to hear about it! I honestly don't have any exotic or rare parrots, but my life with the budgies is still as crazy and eventful!

Anyhow, the flock members are:

1. Stormy (M), almost 3yrs old. My first budgie, very happy, energetic, and gets along with everyone. He's OBSESSED with singing and does it all day. He's one of the only birds in my flock who can sleep with other birds, so he and Pepper share a sleeping cage. He was a fully-flighted fledgeling, so he's very confident! He LOVES recall sessions and just training in general, and he hangs out with me often.
He flew away in July of last year, them was found 2 miles away at a trailer park. When I went to get him from his foster home, his eyes lit up. He recalled, spun, and kissed, he was so happy (then slept for 4 days straight upon returning home). He's my special, fluffy little boy :xflove:.
I gave him (along with his late friend, Sky) to my sister to foster (in March 2021) when my mental health got bad, then she refused to give him back, and eventually neglected Sky to death. I got him back, finally, and he's been living the dream life ever since! He's seen more in his short 2 years of living than most budgies have seen in a lifetime.

2. Picasso (F), 1yr old. My second budgie, I got her as a friend to Stormy after Sky died, and she lets me handle her a lot. She'll let me roll her on her back, and will just sit on my shoulder while I walk around. She was clipped as a fledgling, so she's pretty lazy (except during recall sessions). She's honestly a really great budgie to have around, but she will bite anyone that annoys her, so she sleeps alone. She has bonded very strongly with me, and her sweet side has really come out!

3. Pepper (M), 10 months old. My third budgie, whom I got to be friends with Picasso when Stormy flew away. He spent the first days home (until Stormy came back) hiding under my bedside table. However, he soon proved himself to be a very happy and social budgie! He's definitely NOT my most handleable bird, but he makes up with it in charm and amazing singing ability. He LOVES sitting on my fish tank light (don't worry, I have a glass lid), which is odd. He's an odd bird, and I love him. He's also my most exotic budge, a violet-mauve cinnamon recessive pied! He was clipped poorly as a fledgeling, so he could fly normally his whole life.

4. Apollo (TBD), 5 months old. My fourth (and final- for now :lol:) budgie. I was meaning to get a different bird, LuLu, but there was a mix-up, and I got him instead! He was given to PetSmart when his previous owner became too sick to care for him. He refused to drink for almost a week when he came home, probably because he had been rehomed 3 times in a month, but I worked with him and he now drinks happily. He also has nighttime anxiety, which I'm also working on. He steps up, gets scritches from Stormy, and has a serious obsession with millet! He LOVES his morning chop, and he'd rather eat it over seed! He's still growing out his flight feathers, hopefully he'll be able to fly soon.

Thanks for sharing, had a great time reading through.:awww:
I have a budgie that is like Picasso, quite lazy and bites other birds that annoys her. IMG_20220212_095841_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I honestly don't have any exotic or rare parrots
Every living being is rare & exotic: there is exactly one of each of us, including budgies. Incidentally, budgies are the best! Other parrots wish they were budgies. :roflmao:

The picture is grainy, but I think Apollo may be male. If so, you'll have 3 males, 1 female. I hope you have two cages just in case. :) Can you get better pictures of Apollo?

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Every living being is rare & exotic: there is exactly one of each of us, including budgies. Incidentally, budgies are the best! Other parrots wish they were budgies. :roflmao:

The picture is grainy, but I think Apollo may be male. If so, you'll have 3 males, 1 female. I hope you have two cages just in case. :) Can you get better pictures of Apollo?
Of course all other parrots wish they were budgies- budgies are the best ;)

I actually think Apollo is female. Anyhow (I'll call him male for now), his cere color changes from male baby color to female baby color depending on the light, so it's confusing. As for cages, my budgies free roam all day, and only go in their cages at night to sleep. Stormy and Pepper share a larger sleeping cage, then Apollo and Picasso both get smaller sleeping cages!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great babies you have there :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
his cere color changes from male baby color to female baby color
I have seen that often with young males. The cere is actually pink but there's an effect similar to mother-of-pearl that gives it a blue sheen under certain lighting. I also see this in your pics of him. So I agree - typical male.
It's a cute little flock you have :heart:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I have seen that often with young males. The cere is actually pink but there's an effect similar to mother-of-pearl that gives it a blue sheen under certain lighting. I also see this in your pics of him. So I agree - typical male.
It's a cute little flock you have :heart:
Thanks! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Apollo is, shouldn't be too long now!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a good way to describe it, Ripshod! It is a kind of nacred effect. Frosting, Cloud & the late Moss were like that too.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I love how you described their personalities.

Kylie1969

Meeting neighbors
Pepper looks like our new little boy, very similar colourings, your budgies are all lovely :)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What a pretty little flock :xflove:

donutweall

Walking the driveway
Stormy's sorry is so heart-wrenching! What a miracle that he find his way home safe and sound.

Loved reading about your flock. I feel like I know them as individuals now :swoon: please do share more of what they're up to! I also have a flock of 4 budgies, and like seeing how different every single one is :geek:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
They all have an RI, we're going to see a different vet, our last vet was quite bad. They have a vaporizer, and it's not that bad, but obviously once they start showing sick signs, they're pretty sick.

Scorpi0

You have some awesome little budgies :)

I wanna hear more about the story of how Stormy flew away and was actually found and returned to you. That sounds miraculous!!!

And Im also curious about the setup you have for your birds. From the pics it seems like your budgies own the house:roflmao:

I have 3 budgies at the moment, one male and two females. Fourth budgie is coming soon!:)

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
You have some awesome little budgies :)

I wanna hear more about the story of how Stormy flew away and was actually found and returned to you. That sounds miraculous!!!

And Im also curious about the setup you have for your birds. From the pics it seems like your budgies own the house:roflmao:

I have 3 budgies at the moment, one male and two females. Fourth budgie is coming soon!:)
So I used to bring Stormy and Picasso outside in a travel cage, however, one day Stormy figured out how to open the door and flew out into a big tree. He sang (hummingbirds started gathering around him, I kid you not) for a bit and almost recalled to me, but then a HUGE crow flew above him and he got startled and flew away. There was a large storm (ironically) that day, and Stormy got blown 2 miles away to a campground where he was rescued.

My setup is just in my room because we have 2 elderly cats and are planning on getting more (cats are awesome, ok?). They have a ton of stuff and free roam all day!

Scorpi0

So I used to bring Stormy and Picasso outside in a travel cage, however, one day Stormy figured out how to open the door and flew out into a big tree. He sang (hummingbirds started gathering around him, I kid you not) for a bit and almost recalled to me, but then a HUGE crow flew above him and he got startled and flew away. There was a large storm (ironically) that day, and Stormy got blown 2 miles away to a campground where he was rescued.

My setup is just in my room because we have 2 elderly cats and are planning on getting more (cats are awesome, ok?). They have a ton of stuff and free roam all day!
Wow. How was the campground able to get in touch with you??

And about cats…my wife has recently began to like them. There are a lot of strays at her school and she feeds them sometimes. So she keeps asking me if she can bring one home. And I always reply Hell No!! Lol. Thats an accident waiting to happen.
So please be careful with having cats around your budgies.

Last edited: