• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel scream/chirping non stop!

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
Hi, my 6 months old female cockatiel screams/chirps all day non stop! I have her for 3 months. She is hand tamed and super friendly. No matter what i do she wont stop screaming. I give her plenty of toys, and I rotate them so she wont get bored. But she loses interest on toys very fast. All she does is sit on my shoulder and non stop screaming or walk/run around the house and screaming.She gets at least 10-12 hours of sleep at night and bit of sleep though out the day. She does not like to stay in her cage at all! Sometimes i think she thinks she isnt a bird, she is one of us humans. She is on pallets, seeds, vegetables diet. I dont know what to do. It gets so irritating because im trying everything to make her stop and i cant find a reason for her to be screaming all day. She eats looks and acts super healthy.

Any suggestion? Thank you in advance!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Chirping or calling for you is perfectly normal behavior. Actual screaming is a behavior you may be able to curb. How big is her cage? Try having her on some sort of a loose schedule so she knows when to expect out of cage time. Try some foraging activities and training activities. Is she flighted? Make sure she gets plenty of exercise so she can expend her energy.

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
Chirping or calling for you is perfectly normal behavior. Actual screaming is a behavior you may be able to curb. How big is her cage? Try having her on some sort of a loose schedule so she knows when to expect out of cage time. Try some foraging activities and training activities. Is she flighted? Make sure she gets plenty of exercise so she can expend her energy.
The cage is pretty big. And no she isn’t flighted yet. I try to give her lots of activities but like i said she loses interest too fast. on the other hand i also have a younger male, he is about 4 months old. He loves to pay with his toys. He barely screams but he does chatter alll day. The female and male get along but don’t really like each other much. When i put out toys for them, male gets busy playing until i put him back in the cage. Female loses interest on toys in 3-5 mins and then climbs up on my shoulder and starts screaming. I really dont know what to do! Some people suggested put her back in the cage and ignore her screaming and only get her out once she stops screaming. I tried couple of times. She wont stop screaming. Screaming goes on for hours. Btw thank you so much for your reply!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It can take weeks to get screaming to stop. It's hard but you want to ignore the screaming and reward her fore being quiet. And it has to be consistent. Ignore means do nothing. Don't leave the room. Don't look at her, etc. Then praise or give her a treat for being quiet. Also, do you spend time with her when she's in the cage? Often birds don't like cages because that means you're going away.

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
It can take weeks to get screaming to stop. It's hard but you want to ignore the screaming and reward her fore being quiet. And it has to be consistent. Ignore means do nothing. Don't leave the room. Don't look at her, etc. Then praise or give her a treat for being quiet. Also, do you spend time with her when she's in the cage? Often birds don't like cages because that means you're going away.
I only put her in the cage at night.