• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male budgies mating? What to do?

Emma O'Donnell

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
Hello,
I have two budgies, one is about 2.5 - 3 years old and the other about 1 year old. (I didn't know their exact ages when I adopted them). They both display behaviors and physical characteristics of male birds. I will post pictures of them...Oliver, the youngest, has a blue cere. Snowflake, the oldest, has a pink cere, however he is an all-white mutation, and he generally acts like a male budgie. They live in the same cage and have a close bond, they feed each other and preen each other. This morning they started attempting to mate with each other, and it seemed like they were "fighting" because each tried to get on top...anyways I'm not sure what to do about it, they keep kinda chasing each other around, and they don't seem to be fighting, they are feeding each other and such. Because I don't know their genders with 100% certainty, I separated them, but kept the cages very close so they can see each other.
Is it wrong to separate them? I was planning to keep them separate for a day or so until they calm down, or until I can get DNA gender testing for them, because I want to be sure neither of them will start to lay eggs. Not that I mind baby birds, but I'm not equipt with a proper nesting box or an incubator, and I wouldn't be able to hand feed the babies if something went wrong. What do you guys recommend? I am 99% sure that they are both males, so if they are males, is there any harm in keeping them together? I assume if they are both males then there isn't really anything wrong with just letting them mate...but if one of them turned out to be a female I don't want her to get pregnant. What advice do you guys have?

Emma O'Donnell

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
I have a picture of Snowflake. Does he look like a boy?
I couldn't find a very recent picture of Oliver, but his nose is blue, which is usually a sign that the budgie is a boy.

Attachments

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Snowflake is beautiful! Experts will be along shortly to help you - I'm a novice. I also thought a blue cere meant "boy". When I got Tweetie at the end of Sept and posted pictures, the experts here said "girl". You might look at the thread here about budgies cere. Here's a picture of Tweetie.

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If they’re both males you don’t have anything to worry about. Just let them do their thing. If one of them is a female and there happens to be an egg, you replace the egg(s) with a fake and let them go about their business.

Get your fakes here.
www.dummyeggs.com