• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kind of urgent? Resolve stain remover smell/fumes!

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with today's blunder.

So this morning I tripped as I was bringing a glass of juice upstairs to drink while I got ready, and spilled the juice toward the top of the stairs over about 3-4 steps total. I had to rush out the door to make it to an appointment so without thinking I grabbed the Resolve carpet stain spray and (over-zealously) doused the juice spill. I blotted it before I had to leave and left a fan on medium at the top of the stairs to dry/ventilate the smell.

I did remember to close my bedroom door before I sprayed the Resolve though, and shoved a towel beneath it for good measure, my cockatiel Obi-Wan is in my room. The problem is the smell of the Resolve spray is still very much present around the stairs, which are about ten feet away from the door to my room. I have kept my bedroom door closed with the towel in place, I always have an air purifier in my room, and the fan is still running in the hallway pointing toward the affected steps.

Am I doing enough/is there anything else I could do to keep my bird safe from the fumes? I don't think putting him in his travel cage and 'making a dash' for another area of the house would be wise. I have OCD so just the thought of bringing him his water up those stairs and potentially contaminating it with the fumes has me freaking out. We always keep a fresh supply of bottled water for emergencies so I was planning on using that for his water for a few days, does this seem reasonable? And it's currently 47 degrees Fahrenheit where I live so opening up the windows isn't an option. I know that baking soda is good for odor, but would that work for cleaning agent odors as well?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You've covered all the potential hazards.
I believe it's safe to say that everything is going to be OK.
If the weather is good you could open a window for some fresh air.
Just make sure to keep your bird out of drafts.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Baking soda.

Spread, then vacuum it back up. Repeat.

The Sodium Bicarb in the baking soda is great at absorbing chemicals -- dry cleaner solution included.

Got a "new" car about 6 months ago that the dealership went a little crazy with the dry-cleaning cleanser. Took two boxes of the stuff, three passes and about 15 minutes at the local car-wash, but the smell was gone when we finished.

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks everyone! I'll give the baking soda a try!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You did everything for his safety, right, you just have to wait until the fumes wear off, and everything will be fine. In general, it often happens that we spill something, right?
The thread you replied to is old, I don’t believe you’ll get a reply.