• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jealous Lovebird?

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
My lovebird, Peach, came to us maybe just over 2 weeks ago. He was getting more settled and comfortable each day, preening us and trying new foods.

We brought home our Indian Ringneck a few days ago and since then, Peach will not. Shut. Up. It's not chirping. It's screaming. He also started getting aggressive sporadically and will randomly begin angry chirping and biting anyone who gets close.

He will constantly try to approach the Ringneck and get it's attention, but the Ringneck avoids or ignores Peach.

Any advice on what I could do???? I would love my birds to get along but if they can't I'd at least like them to ignore each other.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did you buy 2 birds 2 weeks apart? You say ¨came to us¨ so were you given the birds?

1.Those birds should have been quarantined. But too late now, let´s move on.

How old is the lovebird? It could be jelousy, but they also can have a change in persona when they are growing into adults. That bird got all of your attention, and now theres a new bird on the scene.

I´m sure I saw you post that your birds are clipped, So I seriously recommend not to leave them alone together.

Where are your birds cages placed? How often are they out together? or are they out separately? Maybe you could post a little more info on your situation. Is peach biting when you are alone with him and he´s out the cage?

My lovebirds don´t sing. They call to each other and the sound my hen makes is enough to split your brain in half. It´s just what she does, it´s who she is and her nature as a bird to call to the flock.
So it could be that before, your lovebird was alone and just let out those little cheeps, but now there is another bird and your lovebird is calling to it.

Sorry my post wandered back and forth a little there.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can´t edit to add to my post here.

So I saw you say ¨I have a one and a half year old IRN (this is what the previous owner told us) and a 6 month old lovebird (again, previous owner says so) ¨

Is Peach molting? This is the time they have their first molt and can bring out behaviour changes, biting, sqwawking, loss of appetite, sleepiness. Not all birds are the same, but it could be your answer.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I'm just brain storming here, but was Peach an only bird in the previous home? Peach could be worried or excited about another bird around.

Another possibility, Peach could have had a bad experience with an IRN.

Not all birds are friends, even in the same species. I also agree that they shouldn't be left alone, very risky when they are different sizes and have different natural behaviour backgrounds.

It is hard to really understand how to give better help without more details. Zara above asked some great questions :) Please share some of those details.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll try my best to answer the questions now.

1) Yes the birds came to us in the sense that both needed to be rehomed quickly and we had the space and time to take two birds in. I would have liked to have had a longer period of time between bringing the two home but that isn't what happened unfortunately.

2) Peach doesn't seem to be moulding but the IRN has a lot of pin feathers around his head area. Although, Peach has been napping a lot but that could be because he gets really active before it.

3) The cages are placed at opposite ends of our first living room where the family spends the most time, and the birds are never left alone together when they are out of their cages at the same time. Each bird is always surrounded by at least one person or is being handled by a person so we can move Peach when he gets too close. I know attacks can happen in seconds and I'm not going to underestimate what either bird is capable of.

4) Peach will get aggressive when he's out of his cage with us around. Even if the IRN isn't near him.

5) I believe Peach was the only bird the previous owner kept. The only other animal I saw was a dog.

Hope this clears things up! And again thank you for your responses!!

P.S. I think it's jealously or excitement because when I brought Peach and his cage into my bedroom he stopped screaming. Now to figure out which one it is without one of them getting hurt.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@BirdMum Great step! Peaches may need a room of his own. Peaches may have been warning you that the IRN was an invader. If Peach is happy in a separate room, you might need to keep it that way. Or at least very slowly let them get into the idea of sharing the house.

My parrotlet, Neptune really wants to be Pi's friend. He tries offering food to Pi. Pi being a plumhead parrot, isn't as physical. He doesn't understand Neptune's intentions. So he opens his beak wide at Neptune, defensively. Pi isn't an aggressive bird, but he warns to Neptune.. no no no bud.. I don't want you to touch me. Pi will then return to shredding his tree. Neptune is flighted and he can easily fly off, and he does whilst complaining to himself. I am pretty sure he is frustrated that Pi' doesn't care about the wiggle dance. They have only interacted under the strictest supervision for short spans. IRNs will interact differently than lovebirds. So there is a good chance there will be some miscommunication as they get to know each other.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about introductions for some time, especially if you have already had some tense interactions. It will be best for them to first develop a relationship with you.

I hope this helps.