• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my parrot sick

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Macaw's noses get dirty and stopped up. My girl GW was just at the vet's yesterday and her nostrils were really dirty and stopped up. Dr. spent a good five minutes cleaning her nostrils out - she must feel so much better.
I want to clean at home. How can I clean it?

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
How much sneezing are we talking about really? I mean it's normal if not consistent. If everything is fine all day and at night you hear a sneeze or two I wouldn't be concerned. If it's a continued thing all day everyday you have an issue. My female BG sneezes every time she picks her nose and she picks her nose a lot. ;) Is everything fine during the day?
He does not sneeze during the day. Appetite is good. Very happy. He wakes up at night and sneezes 10-15 times.

S&B

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachael
New hairs grow on her nose. Is that why he sneezes?
No. If you can find and avian vet that would be the best you can do right now. A few owners of Macaws with similar symptoms of sneezing and discharge, there vets recommended lots of 15 minutes of steamy showers. Symptoms were gone in a few days and they had great success others used saline flushes depending on what is wrong? I would try the steam showers, see if it helps for now. Please try to find a vet or post a photo on here of the discharge.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Every 2 days

When she sneezes, I get up and spray hin face with some water. And it never sneezes again.Why
And only the night sneezes.
What I've been trying to get at is it might be that the humidity in the room is too low. Does he stop sneezing for awhile after you bath him too? At 45% it may be too dry for a bird used to living in a tropical rain forest. It can't hurt increase the humidity for a week or so to see if that's the problem.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
What I've been trying to get at is it might be that the humidity in the room is too low. Does he stop sneezing for awhile after you bath him too? At 45% it may be too dry for a bird used to living in a tropical rain forest. It can't hurt increase the humidity for a week or so to see if that's the problem.
Of course I will make the humidity 60%. I will try. Thank you so much

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
No. If you can find and avian vet that would be the best you can do right now. A few owners of Macaws with similar symptoms of sneezing and discharge, there vets recommended lots of 15 minutes of steamy showers. Symptoms were gone in a few days and they had great success others used saline flushes depending on what is wrong? I would try the steam showers, see if it helps for now. Please try to find a vet or post a photo on here of the discharge.
Yes I will try. Thank you so much.