• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN afraid of EVERYTHING

octangula

Sitting on the front steps
Saria is afraid of everything, she's afraid of paper towels, pens, things she's never seen before, and places she's never been before. When I put her on her training perch I never get to teach her tricks because she's too focused on getting off. That's another thing, she gets way too focused on getting off of things. She can stand on a perch outside of her cage for maybe 15 minutes before she wants to get off. When she wants to get off, she won't accept any treat or toy, especially when she's on the table. When I try to give her a treat, she grabs on to my hand and climbs up my shoulder. Is there any way to stop this? Sorry if this post is a bit of a jumbled mess, but this is a big problem for me.

The picture below is what she looks like when she's scared, yes she is afraid of Mountain Dew. IMG_4638.JPG

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
She is adorable! :rofl: That face!

I'm sorry. I know this is of no use to you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's adorable. You haven't had her very long, right? Am I remembering correctly? Some birds just take longer than other to feel comfortable in their environment. My cockatiel Sunny would not leave the room his cage was in for months when we first got him. Seriously months. I could put nothing new in his cage without going through the process of first leaving it on the floor where he could see it for a week. Then moving it to the outside of his cage for a week. Then finally I could put in it his cage. I would spend hours sitting by his cage with him. I seriously thought I would never get to sit in my living room and watch TV in the evening again. (Because I felt like when I got home from work I needed to spend time with Sunny and Sunny would have no part of going into the living room.) But I just went along at Sunny's pace. Little by little, he grew more trusting and would let us take him into the living room. Then one day he just became Mr. Adventure Bird and started exploring the whole house. He still was a bit skeptical of new things but it was not longer the 3 week process it was previously.

And then there's my cockatoo Elvis. He is not a fearful bird in general. But some things he do scare him. Like for some reason his puzzle toys are scary to him. But other toys I can put right in his cage. Oh, and he's afraid of his training perch too.

I think you just need to take things slow with your bird and move at his pace. :)

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I had a little tiel like that at the rescue, (most of the birds that end up at my house are scared) but she was over the top. It takes a lot of patience, and repetition. Honestly, there is no easy way to do this unless you just go very slow and let her get used to the things around her. If you have not had her long, just get to be around you and maybe forgo any tricks until she can be with you without freaking out.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Odin that's what I am doing with Freddy. I want to clicker train but I can't really do that until he trusts me enough and is used to his environment, which he is not. He is also terrified of new things. But he is slowly getting curious. I noticed differences over the 8 weeks I have had him will be a long process but it's ok, I think of new ways to spend time and have fun with him. I do things that he loves, once every so often I play with a small ball I want him to get used to . He's getting there. He doesn't hiss at it anymore lol.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
@Nancy B I understand it can be frustrating though, because YOU know you are just trying to the best you can for the bird, but he doesn't know that. I do feel what you are saying.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
In addition ,my Freddy is still getting used to my house's sounds. Like the heat, I have steam heat that sometimes sounds like baby birds chirping. At first that drove him crazy and took me time to figure that out. Now I know he's listening when he does this lol. So I know he's still even getting used to the house!

Attachments

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I want to kiss his fluffyness!!! :) I kiss Boo but per a normal Too, he gets excited real quick.... LOL

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I want to kiss his fluffyness!!! :) I kiss Boo but per a normal Too, he gets excited real quick.... LOL
:p It's very hard! I want to bury my nose in his little head and kiss the crap out of him! I would probably have so many cuts on my face people would think I'm shaving lol! Imagine me saying no, just trying to kiss my bird! :eek: :rofl:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
He would probably think :jawdrop1: she's trying to eat me!:arghh: :hehe: talk about being terrified! He would be very afraid! :facepalm:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
It took Duckie about 2 years to let me touch her. Other then stepping up. She didn't like toys for about 2 years as well, and had a fear of most things including certain colors. Just go slow and let her decide the pace at which she's ready. She needs to trust you, and pushing her out of her comfort zone doesn't seem like the right thing to do yet.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
It took Duckie about 2 years to let me touch her. Other then stepping up. She didn't like toys for about 2 years as well, and had a fear of most things including certain colors. Just go slow and let her decide the pace at which she's ready. She needs to trust you, and pushing her out of her comfort zone doesn't seem like the right thing to do yet.
That's what I expected. I think JLcribber also mentioned 2 yrs for him to settle in. I am surprised he has let us all pet him. Only one his back or tail, and only when he comes out of his cage. I sit very close to his cage when I eat meals with him, tonight he was able to touch me as I was sitting extra close. He stuck his paw out and touched my shirt, and I rubbed his little toes :) he had a very soft look in his eyes, then stuck his beak out to touch my shirt and used his tongue to feel it. He's very sweet. I told him we do whatever he wants. :joyful:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
How long have you had her? How old is she? She looks a lot like Kiwi. Sometimes its just a personality thing. Kiwi is a scaredy cat, afraid of loud noises, the color red, people with hats and more. I have had her since she was 12 weeks, she is about 21 months now. She has never been traumatized, was easy to step up and never bites me (that always impresses me). She loves to watch IRN videos and sit on me. She has that sweet as can be talking voice too. She does not like to be away from her playtop of her cage for long periods and will not come to me if she isn't "feeling it". Now after telling you about Kiwi's personality, maybe Saria is just not a cuddly bird or maybe if you have not had her very long she needs time to adjust. Time and patience will tell if she cares for "tricks", if she doesn't don't be frustrated just accept her for whatever individual personality she is. Kiwi is 100% the easiest most laid back bird I have ever had. I know she is extremely intelligent but when I try to teach her a trick she just looks at me like she wants to tell me "yeah, why don't you do that".

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Midna my Freddy is also afraid of anything new. He is a 7yr old Galah who lived in my friends pet shop all this time due to being traumatized. So it's like square one with a bird that age. He was afraid of large pieces of paper! Anything white, and loves paper towel rolls cut into rings, but is afraid of the roll! I have some shelves right behind his cage where I put new things, that seems to help. As long as I keep new things in view he can get used to them. Maybe Saria is just uncomfortable outside of her zone? If she likes your shoulder, let her sit there and get comfortable with your space. It might just take a while.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
My green cheek used to be afraid of everything, but I found that showing her it isn't scary and isn't going to hurt her helps a lot! It may seem goofy but i toss the object up in the air and "squeel" and instantly she goes from scared to curious cause she's jealous that im having fun without her!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My green cheek used to be afraid of everything, but I found that showing her it isn't scary and isn't going to hurt her helps a lot! It may seem goofy but i toss the object up in the air and "squeel" and instantly she goes from scared to curious cause she's jealous that im having fun without her!
I tried that today. I put 4 balls on the floor started pushing them around and making noises. He seemed to get curious and kept moving around the cage to see them. But not enough to participate yet. ::sigh:: just have to keep trying.