• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to clean wooden toys?

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Does anyone have tips for cleaning wooden toys/perches/ladders that have been pooped on? I try to keep everything arranged so things won't get pooped on, but there seems to be no avoiding it entirely haha. I assume water/soap wouldn't be the way to go as that could cause mold? Maybe I'll just have to buy news ones, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. Thanks in advance!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I dump mine in a hot sink of soapy dish water and leave for a few minutes then scrub clean, rinse well and dry.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I dump mine in a hot sink of soapy dish water and leave for a few minutes then scrub clean, rinse well and dry.
Same here. I've never had an issue with mold or anything like that since I wipe them down with a washcloth and then let them air dry.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Steam Cleaner works well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I soak and scrub, then douse with F10 it I need to disinfect (I don't disinfect every time). If it's really persistent or I'm lazy, I toss it in the dishwasher (no soap or rinse aid)

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Thank you for all the replies! I don't know why I assumed water would cause mold. Now thinking about it, I don't worry about washing my wooden spoons so idk why I thought it would be any different lol. Maybe I'm a bit overly cautious haha.