• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to clean birds face feathers from medicine

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
I have a question that I can’t seem to find online hoping someone could help me out.

I was prescribed antibiotics for two parakeets after finding out one had a crop infection.Thankfully they seem to be doing better so far after 4 days but the medicine looks like it’s staining the feathers around the mouth a orange/yellowish color and some feathers are stuck together. I know this will clear up over time but it’s kinda bothering me a lot and seems like my birds are having a harder time preening. Is there any way or certain technique to hold them and to clean this up. I don’t want to use soap or anything that can hurt them.

Thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cotton ball or soft tissue, wet it well and allow it to wet the feathers. You can gently wipe the feathers to help clean the meds out. A shower or bathing opportunity might be a simple fix too.

pat21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pat
Cotton ball or soft tissue, wet it well and allow it to wet the feathers. You can gently wipe the feathers to help clean the meds out. A shower or bathing opportunity might be a simple fix too.
I’m a little worried about giving them a shower because I don’t want them to drink the water since they were prescribed some certain kind of special medicine water that the vet said they can only drink that for 2 weeks. Or do you think they won’t really take in much of that water from the shower?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also had a medicine for my pale bird and it stained him yellow/orange. It went away with bathing :)

I’m a little worried about giving them a shower because I don’t want them to drink the water since they were prescribed some certain kind of special medicine water that the vet said they can only drink that for 2 weeks. Or do you think they won’t really take in much of that water from the shower?
Oh, maybe stick to the cotton ball clean up then?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would use the wet cotton balls/kitchen tissue to clean them up if them drinking un-medicated water is an issue.